Forums
Posted By: x_plore 22000 Roman coin hoard found - 30th Sep 2014 7:58pm
Amazing!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/en...-Roman-coins-by-sleeping-in-his-car.html
Posted By: granny Re: 22000 Roman coin hoard found - 30th Sep 2014 8:35pm
Someone was once rich ! What a find...very exciting.

As technology develops, maybe one day the 'Bank Robbers' haul will turn up too. would the metal strips in banknotes be detected by present day metal detectors ?

Posted By: x_plore Re: 22000 Roman coin hoard found - 30th Sep 2014 9:01pm
I've tried that granny! unfortunately they don't pick up that strip frown
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: 22000 Roman coin hoard found - 1st Oct 2014 3:35pm
Hey Xplore, Granny, Id love to have a go at this one day, maybe pulse detecting on the beaches and river beds appeals to me if you know where to look, could be onto a good thing .. One Day!
Posted By: moretonjeffo Re: 22000 Roman coin hoard found - 1st Oct 2014 4:31pm
ha wasn't you was it Lawrence you found much lately im going out sunday if you fancy a days detecting
Posted By: granny Re: 22000 Roman coin hoard found - 1st Oct 2014 6:07pm
Originally Posted by Vanmanone
Hey Xplore, Granny, Id love to have a go at this one day, maybe pulse detecting on the beaches and river beds appeals to me if you know where to look, could be onto a good thing .. One Day!
Yes Van, I would like to also.
What would you be hoping to find ? Lots of bones and teeth filled with lead (no wonder they died young in 18th c.) or pirate treasure ? You can borrow my
450 denier waders, if you wish Van !
Posted By: venice Re: 22000 Roman coin hoard found - 1st Oct 2014 6:44pm
It appeals to me, searching with a detector , but it puts me off having to contact landowners and asking for permission .You cant just zoom around any old place, can you and Im sure all the commonland places have been done to death. I bet its quite an addictive pastime - bit like gambling , always imagining the next 'try' will be a winner. grin
Fabulous find, that one though. Must be lots more little hoards to find if there were no banks in those days . Like a needle in a haystack though I guess.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: 22000 Roman coin hoard found - 1st Oct 2014 9:50pm
Wow... fantastic! I'm so glad he behaved responsibly, notified portable antiquities etc. Bits and pieces that have been snaffled by nighthawks or irresponsible types will never help to tell the story of people and places long gone, so it's good when people do it right, respect the context etc, so knowledge can be shared. I hope he gets his souvenir, as well as a share of the proceeds!
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: 22000 Roman coin hoard found - 1st Oct 2014 10:11pm
Thanks Granny your so kind,This fella finds grenades from the second world war then pulls out the pins in his previous videos,
[youtube]vPTXcIrY9Ns[/youtube]
Posted By: x_plore Re: 22000 Roman coin hoard found - 2nd Oct 2014 7:47am
You should definitely give it a go, you will love it!

I wish it was me Jeff lol I'm working all day Saturday, might be able to go out Tuesday if you fancy it? Haven't found much at all lately as I've been working a lot so haven't been out.

It is hard getting permission, and yes there must be a lot more hoards around waiting to be discovered. This fella was a credit to the detecting society for doing the right thing.

I've watched a lot of that deep digger dans videos, he is crazy! Very entertaining though
Posted By: snowhite Re: 22000 Roman coin hoard found - 2nd Oct 2014 11:11am
He is one lucky fella, .Thanks for sharing. smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral