Forums
Posted By: Capt_America The name of an old pub - 29th Oct 2015 8:23pm
Does anyone know what the pub was called (red brick and still standing)on the corner of Upper Rice Lane and Trafalgar Road? It's still got a 'Threlfalls' sign on the front face and 'JT' carved in a fancy lintel over what would have been the bar entrance (I assume John Threlfall after the brewery).

Anyone know it's name or history or when it closed?
Posted By: fish5133 Re: The name of an old pub - 29th Oct 2015 8:41pm
http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/cheshire/wallasey_lordnelson.html

Lord Nelson ?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The name of an old pub - 29th Oct 2015 9:42pm
Trafalgar Hotel aka "The Nelson" aka "The Little Nelly" possibly?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The name of an old pub - 30th Oct 2015 12:29am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Trafalgar Hotel aka "The Nelson" aka "The Little Nelly" possibly?

Forget that, me getting confused with all the Nelsons in Wallasey.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The name of an old pub - 30th Oct 2015 12:41am
Don't believe this - after faffing around looking for pubs, I should know not to assume by now!

Threlfall's Creamery, proprietor was James Threlfall in 1910.
Posted By: Capt_America Re: The name of an old pub - 30th Oct 2015 1:05am
Superb, thank you!
Posted By: bert1 Re: The name of an old pub - 30th Oct 2015 7:13am
His full name was Arthur James Threlfall, married Kate Millington, 1895.

Previously to being at Trafalgar Rd he was a Publican, Egerton Arms, Shotwick, Cheshire.

He described himself as a Creamery Proprietor and Milk Purveyor.

1911 directory, 76 Trafalgar Rd, Threlfall's Wirral Hygienic
Creamery.
1938, Flintshire Farmers Ltd, Dairymen.
Posted By: daveybm Re: The name of an old pub - 30th Oct 2015 9:18am
This was the Express Dairy in the fifties/sixties it then became a yard for a roofing company (Furbers ?) in the seventies.

Dave
Posted By: Norton Re: The name of an old pub - 30th Oct 2015 11:27am
I think you are right about it being Furbers. I remember a local firm of contractors being there - they had a royal blue sign with white lettering across the front, but I just couldn't remember the name. To be honest, I'd never noticed the Threlfalls sign underneath that is now visible.
So much for the closed pubs site - the Lord Nelson re-opened (twice) and still seems to be open. It is on the corner of Stringhey Road, not Upper Rice Lane.
I also remember a small Reeces dairy in Trafalgar Road or possibly the top of Greenwood Lane, which closed in the mid-seventies. The old lady who ran it was murdered, the shop closed and was subsequently turned into a house, just like the rest of the block. Hard to tell now..
Posted By: daveybm Re: The name of an old pub - 30th Oct 2015 11:41am
The Reeces dairy was in Greenwood Lane it backed onto Manor Road School, there where 2 sisters murdered in Greenwood Lane in 1973, but I don't know if they had anything to do with the Dairy :-

On 5th May, two sisters, one aged 63 the other 54, were murdered in Greenwood Lane. They had received horrific injuries to the head and neck as well as stab wounds. One woman was nailed to the floor with a 6 inch nail through her breast. The ambulance was called when the men found the sisters in pools of blood. A neighbour said she had noticed that one of the sisters had became withdrawn and interested in Spiritualism. The tragedy happened on the birthday of one of the ladies. Two youths, Anthony Atherton (also known as Mark Anthony Stanhope) and Terence McGee, who had been kind to them when there was trouble with vandals on bonfire night had taken lodgings with them. The young men, aged 19 and 22, were apprehended by the Police and later charged with the murders. They were tried in the Liverpool Crown Court where they pleaded guilty to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility but not of murder. They were jailed for life.
http://www.historyofwallasey.co.uk/wallasey/Looking_back_to_1973/index.html

Dave

Posted By: Norton Re: The name of an old pub - 30th Oct 2015 12:15pm
I didn't want to go into too much detail, but thanks anyway for reminding me.
Posted By: casper Re: The name of an old pub - 31st Oct 2015 6:05pm
It was actually Hansons Dairy, but never been a pub.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral