Forums
Knockaloe Hall (Octel Sports and Social Club) 28 Bridle Rd Bromborough

Built in the 1850’s, Knockaloe Hall sits in 11 acres of beautiful grounds and was originally owned by professor Nance as a working manor house.

He gave the house to the community in the 1930’s for everyone to enjoy.

In 1957 the council sold Knockaloe Hall to Octel Fuel Plant as the private club for the employees and families, the hall was known for 50 years as the Octel Sports and Social Club.

In 2006 it was sold to the Anderson family, opened to the community once more and changed to The OC Bar at Knockaloe Hall. Now refurbished and modernised it has been tastefully brought back into the 20th century. With some of the old traditions kept and new ideas brought in, the Knockaloe has something for everyone.

Attached picture Knockaloe Hall sign [1600x1200].jpg
Attached picture Knockaloe Hall [1600x1200].jpg
The Professor's full name was John Trengrove Nance, 1877-1953.

The property was Knockaloe House, probably first occupied by Phillip Quirk and wife Annie in the 1840s, notification of a son being born in 1847, Knockaloe House.

In 1900 the house came up for auction and the bidding started at £3000, only reached about £5,500 and was withdrawn. To be sold with 20 acres of grounds.

Name:
Phillip Quirk

Birth Date:

Birth Place:
Liverpool, Merseyside, England

Death Date:

Death Place:
Bromborough, Merseyside, England

Cemetery:
St Barnabas Bromborough

Attached picture qu1.jpg
Attached picture qu2.jpg
With such an unusual name, it must surely be connected with Knockaloe in the I.O.M. which was used as an internment camp in both WW1 and WW2. Anyone know the connection?
A touch of Kismet in it's name when you remember Octel produced anti-knock compounds to increase the effective octane rating of petrol. We probably wouldn't have won WW2 without tetra ethyl,and tetra methly lead,to boost aviation fuel.
The connection is/was, the Quirk family owned an Estate at "Knockaloe Moar", Kirkpatrick, IOM.
Can't find anything on Professor Nance who it supposedly was built for.

But if he/she had it built in 1850 and gave it away in 1930, he must have lived to a very ripe age.

The only reference I can find is Oswald Harrison who lived at Knockaloe Cottages.

EDIT: Missed Bert's post doh!
I've done a few gigs here for birthdays and weddings it's a fantastic building and always seems to be something I've missed while looking at the place.
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Can't find anything on Professor Nance who it supposedly was built for.

But if he/she had it built in 1850 and gave it away in 1930, he must have lived to a very ripe age.

The only reference I can find is Oswald Harrison who lived at Knockaloe Cottages.

EDIT: Missed Bert's post doh!

Oswald Harrison lived in Knockaloe House, 1911. he was a Stockbroker, the cottages were occupied by the Chauffeur and Gardener etc.
Originally Posted by bert1
The connection is/was, the Quirk family owned an Estate at "Knockaloe Moar", Kirkpatrick, IOM.

Thanks, Bert.
The OC Bar & Grill at Knockaloe Hall Sports and Social Club is closing on Sunday 19th Jan 2020 for good.

https://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/18169407.bromboroughs-oc-bar-grill-set-close-weekend/
© Wirral-Wikiwirral