Forums
Posted By: Dolphin123 The York Hotel - 7th Jul 2012 10:21am
There used to be a pub in Grange Road Birkenhead called the York Hotel it was where the Co-op used to be, a green glazed tile outer appearence, this was before Grange Road was developed into a shopping area, with large shops.

I think it was in the sixties that the main changes took place but nothing stays the same for long.
Posted By: Nigel Re: The York Hotel - 7th Jul 2012 10:27am
This is one for DerekDWC.
Posted By: Dolphin123 Re: The York Hotel - 7th Jul 2012 10:33am
Many thanks Nigel for your reply.
Posted By: sunnyside Re: The York Hotel - 7th Jul 2012 3:37pm
how long ago was that ? do you remember a pub at the top of grange road were the mcdonalds is now, the bakers arms rings a bell going back to around 1970ish.
Posted By: Norton Re: The York Hotel - 7th Jul 2012 4:12pm
Not exactly where the Co-op was (that's the Garrick Snug) but further down towards Allinsons, on the corner at 110 Grange Road.
Now under part of the Market Hall. There is more on Wiki here - Link.

At the top of Grange Road was the Grange Hotel. Again, more on Wiki here - Link.

There is a page on this site which indexes all the known pubs, within 'Wirral Pubs Past & Present'. If needed, you can use ctrl+f (control f) to search through the list as it's not in alphabetical order.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: The York Hotel - 7th Jul 2012 4:16pm
The Bakers Arms was on the corner of Exmouth st/Claughton Rd more or less on the corner opposite the new Asda.

The pub where McDonalds is used to be the Grange Hotel.
click here

The York was near to Allansons/Beatties/ now House of Frazer
click here

Attached picture 331600_388700 LORD EXMOUTH & MUSIC HALL, BAKERS.png
Posted By: chriskay Re: The York Hotel - 8th Jul 2012 11:19am
Slightly off topic Derek, but what date is that map? I ask because Brougham St., between Bright and Lowther Streets, was named Fox St. on the OS 1911 map. On that map, there was a Brougham St. in Lower Tranmere, near St.Paul' Rd. My father lived there in 1911.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: The York Hotel - 8th Jul 2012 3:56pm
pm you chriskay
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: The York Hotel - 9th Jul 2012 10:35am
Wasn't it the York which became the Labour Club? If so then it was a bit further down towards Charing Cross than where House of Frazer is now, this from memory. I'm thinking in relationship to the position of the Snug. I used to go to the Buff Lodge in there right through to the mid 70's, once again if my memory serves me right. In the Labour Club you could see all kinds of deals going down, smokey back rooms is about right. The handraulic one armed bandit used to take sixpenny pieces, 2 1/2 pence to the younger wiki's.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: The York Hotel - 9th Jul 2012 10:55am
Definitely by House of Frazer - the yellow part on map.
The green number12 was where I was born and raised for 20 years.
Was my local.I never knew it as a Labour Club though.
In the pic of pub on the right edge you might see a door that led up to the living quarters above

Description: 1950's map
Attached picture york.jpg
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: The York Hotel - 9th Jul 2012 3:03pm
Not as far down as I thought but that nails it. It didn't change the outside when it became the Labour Club, everything more or less stayed as it was, I can't even remember any Labour Club signage but that doesn't mean there wasn't any. Cheers for that Derek.
Posted By: chriskay Re: The York Hotel - 9th Jul 2012 4:13pm
Interesting, Bandy; I always think of the Charing Cross end as being "up"; you think of it as "down".
Posted By: derekdwc Re: The York Hotel - 9th Jul 2012 8:42pm
Up Grange Road to Charing Cross,down Grange Road towards the old market.
That's going by the road numbers
© Wirral-Wikiwirral