Forums
Posted By: derekdwc Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 25th Jan 2012 10:34pm
Did anyone drink in any of these
Interested in the Pigalle one and where it was.
I think the New Inn one eventually became The British Leather Co
canteen fo a while.
The Park Hotel may refer to the one at Charing Cross/Oxton Road

Attached picture lost pubs S1054462 [1600x1200].JPG
Posted By: ronnie Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 26th Jan 2012 12:21am
which book is that from Derek?
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 26th Jan 2012 9:55am
Originally Posted by ronnie
which book is that from Derek?

The new Boumphrey Tranmere book
Posted By: bert1 Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 26th Jan 2012 10:20am
The Park Hotel hasn't been demolished, its had many names but the building is still there. I had to pay my union dues in the Park, it was at that time in the late 60s, The Boilermakers union number 4 branch, I don't think they would have had 2 Park hotels in the same road.
Posted By: Norton Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 26th Jan 2012 1:32pm
I also think that a few errors have crept in, the Park Hotel being the most obvious.
The book, to give it its full title is "The Changing Face of Tranmere" by the Rock Ferry Local History & Research Group, which is published by Ian Boumphrey in 2011.
The book , on page 69, also mentions 'The Yard' (formerly Queens) as still trading, but on the map directly above that text, it and others are starred to indicate closed as of July 2009.
The 'New Inn' is a new one to me. They give its location as the corner of New Chester Road and West View. On a map I have, there is a canteen on one corner of Seabank Road, with the tannery on the other. Seabank Road, now just a passageway between two of the sheds, was about 290 feet south of Chamberlain St on the East side of New Chester Road, while West View is about 560 feet south of Chamberlain St, on the West side of New Chester Rd, between numbers 140 & 146, on the 1953 map. 142 & 144 are shown as empty land at the time.

Time for a bit more digging??
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 26th Jan 2012 1:51pm
According to the Licence Registers in the early 1900s the New Inn was at 258 New Chester Road, on the corner of Spring Street.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 26th Jan 2012 2:01pm
The pub listed at 142 New Chester Road, on the corner of West View, was actually the River Inn.
Posted By: Norton Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 26th Jan 2012 2:15pm
Great! Thanks.
Just located the New Inn on a map, at Spring St. Better known as the location of Frank Bathers Tyres now.
Just getting an internet link for the 1876 Town Map now...
Posted By: Norton Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 26th Jan 2012 3:01pm
Try this link, 1955 OS Map 1:2500
Note - you may have to wait one minuite for it to become clear.

It only seems to appear on the 1955 map. By 1964 it had gone, and does not appear on the 1876, 1912 or 1936 editions.
Also of note is that the four little streets just south of St Pauls Rd all changed name. Clare St, just south of St Pauls Rd, was Clarendon St, next Croxteth St formerly Derby St and then Spring St, formerly Pleasant St. Betweem then and the railway embankment was Rose St, becoming Roslyn St. where the terraces called 'Mersey View' and 'Liverpool Buildings' were.

The Tranmere book shows the Mersey Inn (Dot number 15) at the Spring St / Old Chester Road location. There is also another pub in St. Pauls Rd, junction of Roslyn St, and on the opposite corner to the Lord Raglan. This is possibly (dot 14), the Manor Arms. (Need to check this with Dereks recent posts)
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 26th Jan 2012 5:40pm
Not quite sure where Roslyn Street joins St Pauls Road, but if you mean Union Street, then the pub on that corner was named as the Manor Hotel in 1875. The Mersey Arms was listed as 246 New Chester Road, at the corner of Derby/Croxteth Street.
Posted By: Norton Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 26th Jan 2012 6:02pm
Sorry, my mistake. I've said St Pauls Rd a couple of times above. Yes, it should be Union Street. It is the Manor Arms / Hotel, now a club, right next to the Lord Raglan. The little bit of Roslyn St between them takes you to Bookers.

Note. There are two entries for the Manor Hotel in the pubs list. The one above in Union St is 696.
There was another Manor Arms at 180-182 Church St, opposite the end of Abbey St. This is pub 99 on the list, but all the comments relate to 696 unfortunately.
To give an idea where the Manor Arms was, it's where the chevron road markings are on Chester St, at where the Chester bound tunnel traffic meets the southbound traffic from Woodside. Because of the Tunnel approach works, it could not have exsisted after 1967.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 27th Jan 2012 4:14pm
The four streets you mention are in fact North of St.Paul's Rd. and just South of Union St. This is from the 1912 O.S.map. Do you know when the names changed?

Attached picture clare st..jpg
Posted By: suey30 Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 27th Jan 2012 6:28pm
if you come down union st, towards new chester rd,roslyn st is first on the right with the manor pub on the corner, which ran along the railway wall.off rosyln st, where clare st.croxteth st, and spring st,there was a pub on the corner of spring st and croxteth st.i lived in croxteth st, from 1952 to 1961,my nan left 62,as they pulled the houses down.on the right side of croxteth st,was a lock up garage that frank bather had,before moving to a bigger building ,then extending to the present one,
Posted By: Norton Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 27th Jan 2012 7:07pm
I can only put this as between 1876 and 1899, being the dates of the two OS maps where I saw the difference in names.
The 1876 is the 1:500 Town Plan, and the 1899 is the 1:2500.
And yes, sorry once again for writing St Pauls Rd when I meant Union St.

Has one of marty99fred's posts been removed? In a reply he gave a location of a pub as being 391 New Chester Rd. (somewhere Ionic St perhaps?) I don't know which one it was now.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 27th Jan 2012 7:10pm
The Manor Arms in Chester Street opposite the end of Abbey Street was a scruffy almost derrilict lookin pub in the mid 50s. Which ever brewerey owned it must have kept it open due to the licencing laws at the time been if a pub closed its doors the licence was lost unless the brewery had a new pub built so they could transvere the licence.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 28th Jan 2012 12:33pm
from The Changing Face of Tranmere" by the Rock Ferry Local History & Research Group, which is published by Ian Boumphrey in 2011.

Tranmere Pubs map
Press control and + keys to enlarge
Press control and - keys to get back to normal

Attached picture Tranmere public houses S1054460 [1600x1200].JPG
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 30th Jan 2012 1:48pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
The four streets you mention are in fact North of St.Paul's Rd. and just South of Union St. This is from the 1912 O.S.map. Do you know when the names changed?

They appear to have changed in 1880-1, probably when Birkenhead Borough Council took over responsibilty for services previously provided by the Tranmere Local Board. The change would have been to avoid confusion with the Clarendon Street and Derby Street off Oxton Road, and the Pleasant Street off Watson Street.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 31st Jan 2012 11:43am
Originally Posted by marty99fred
Originally Posted by chriskay

They appear to have changed in 1880-1, probably when Birkenhead Borough Council took over responsibilty for services previously provided by the Tranmere Local Board. The change would have been to avoid confusion with the Clarendon Street and Derby Street off Oxton Road, and the Pleasant Street off Watson Street.

Thanks for that.
Posted By: gopher Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 9th Feb 2012 9:14pm
The Yard is now a cafe/shop which opened about 6 months ago.
Posted By: Norton Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 13th Mar 2012 6:04pm
I've just come across a photo of 'The Mersey Inn', on page 42 of Cedric Greenwood's book 'Merseyside - The Indian Summer'. The photo dates from 1954 and gives its location as 246 Old Chester Rd, on the corner of Croxteth St. Tranmere. (North side.)
He describes it a follows "Sporting the garter coat of arms of the Birkenhead Brewing Company on the panel formed by the dummy window, the dingy little Mersey Inn stood on the corner..."

On page 44, again from 1954, is a picture at the junction of Old Chester Rd and Queen St (looking south), which features 'The Harp Inn' in the centre.
Posted By: suey30 Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 13th Mar 2012 8:38pm
where would i get the book please,as i grew up in croxteth street.thanks
Posted By: Norton Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 13th Mar 2012 9:15pm
Well, it's only a tiny mention of Croxteth St, so you might have to consider the cost as the book was priced at £18.99. It's about two years since I bought it, and it came from either WH Smith or Waterstones.
It was published in 2007 by Silver Link Publishing of Kettering, from their series 'The Nostalgia Collection' (www.nostalgiacollection.com).
ISBN 978-1-85794-272-9
The subtitle says 'Volume 1 - Return to Woodside'. On the cover of the softback is a picture of Woodside, near the Crosville bus stops, with the railway station, Birkenhead Corpy buses and the Liverpool skyline in the background.

If you are after more info and pictures from around Croxteth St, why not just ask on Wiki?
Posted By: suey30 Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 13th Mar 2012 9:42pm
thanks for that,will try waterstones tomorrow.wikki has been very helpful,with information before,thanks
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 13th Mar 2012 11:20pm
think it's about £12 on Amazon clicky
Norton could you post any pics of pubs in the pub topic please
Posted By: Norton Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 14th Mar 2012 10:45am
Yes, I intend to. Unfortunately, the way the book is bound, I would damage the spine by putting it on the scanner. Therefore, I'll have to photograph it and possibly tweak it first..
Posted By: hellosailor Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 25th Apr 2012 9:52pm
The Park Hotel,was commonly called the Tranmere park,it was in Chuch Road on the corner of Vitoria road and at the top of Whetstone lane.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 28th Apr 2012 11:04am
Originally Posted by suey30
where would i get the book please,as i grew up in croxteth street.thanks

I've just borrowed vols 1& 2 from St James library and can pm anyone who is interested when I take them back in a couple of weeks

ps
Park Hotel we're talking about is at Charing Cross end of Whetstone Lane
Posted By: joney Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 1st May 2012 8:27am
You ask for Info on the Pigalle club.I was in there on the night it got raided and left 20 mins before. I was told afterwards by some C.I.D. I knew that I was seen leaving.The door did have a strong wooden bar across and the police had trouble getting in. But this was not the original premises which was dug into the side of the hill .It was run by a guy called Steve Kelly whose uncle had the lease on the shelter and there was some dispute. After this the club was downsized and moved to a brick built air raid shelter in the yard having no windows just two doors. A hard place for the police to get into.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 1st May 2012 9:24am
I'd be grateful if you could pinpoint on google street view or a map exactly where it was please.
I can't seem to picture in my mind it's 2 locations
Posted By: joney Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 1st May 2012 11:40am
I have not lived in Birkenhead since 1963 so I cannot remember exactly where it was, the only clues I can give you are that when I lived in Beverly I came over with my son to search out some Porche spares from a garage that stripped Porches and sold the bits.I found myself back in that yard where there was a couple of industrial units. The old entrance to the club was still there but boarded up,I think it used to be the entrance to the tunnels that were dug into Tranmere hill for air raid shelters.
Posted By: Dolphin123 Re: Some Tranmere pubs that have gone - 7th Jul 2012 1:31am
No doubt some of you will know this that the Alexandra on Derby Road and the corner of Victoria Road has been closed down many years ago and is now a block of apartments lying empty.

Just another satistic.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral