Forums
Posted By: derekdwc 291 Richmond Hotel Maritime Inn 54 Oxton Road - 18th Aug 2011 10:52pm
Was called the Maritime Inn once

Attached picture maritime pub.jpg
Attached picture The Richmond [1600x1200].JPG
Hi wondering if this pub was called The RIchmond around 1908? My Auntie has a copy of a photograph of a Richmond AFC and I am assuming it was connected to this pub. A couple of my relatives are on the photo inc my Gt Grandfather as a child. It's a young boys football team , all aged around ten. Photograph taken by Greenhalls photography, Rock Ferry.
It was The Richmond in 1908. The Maritime name was only for a short while. Prior to that it had been closed for a few years. It used to be a very traditional unspolit Victorian pub with a public bar entered from the door on the corner. Another door where the right hand person is in the photo led to a passage with hatches opening onto the bar servery. A third door was in the side street. The rear lounge was shaped like a grand piano with seats all around the wall and service bells.
Thank you for the reply .I'm sure it must be connected to the team photo now. Wonder if my gt gt grandad was a regular and got his sons on the team!
Posted By: steiner Re: 291 Richmond Hotel Maritime Inn 54 Oxton Road - 22nd Jan 2013 12:56am
I used to play for the football team when I was about 16. The manager was a toss-arse. Early 80s. We all used to have a few pints before the game - at 10am on a Sunday. Yikes! We always got heavily pummelled by the opposition.
Posted By: joney Re: 291 Richmond Hotel Maritime Inn 54 Oxton Road - 22nd Jan 2013 11:13am

I see lots of photos of pubs but has anybody got a photo of the old Lord Exmouth where I was brought up.
It's a long shot but I wonder if anyone knows if any type of records where kept for these local youth football teams that probably played of a weekend. I'm guessing most of the pubs would have had a team and that there would have been a local league ?
The results and league tables used to be in the Birkenhead News and also the Pink Echo on a Saturday
Even in and around 1908 do you think ?
Sorry but I was thinking of steiners post about playing in the 80s when I replied
I'm going back to the late 1960s when I played and you had to buy the Birkenhead News and 1990s for the pink echo to see how my sons teams were doing.
May be worth going to the Archives to look for issues around the time you're interested in.
Haha No problem. Will give the archives a try . Thanks
© Wirral-Wikiwirral