Forums
Posted By: cheshirelassy 262 New Ferry Hotel - 5th Mar 2011 10:41am
Can anyone tell me who where the landlords of this pub in the 1915 to 1930 period? I don't live on the Wirral so its not easy for me to trace this period.
Regards
Cheshirelassy
Posted By: Christo Re: 262 New Ferry Hotel - 6th Mar 2011 3:04pm
Was this the one opposite New Ferry pier that used to be known as "The Buffs" (now Derwent Lodge Care Home)?
Posted By: yewgarth Re: 262 New Ferry Hotel - 6th Mar 2011 11:38pm
thats the one!
Posted By: littlestan Re: 262 New Ferry Hotel - 10th Mar 2011 12:05am
You would need to look in Directories such as Kellys They have these in the
Bebington Central Reference Library, Wirral . They have lists of Pubs in the
Trades and businesses section . Birkenhead Ref Library also have such
directories for reference but Beb are much more accessible and " self service "
system there is much better . If you really want this info i am willing to call in there for you and look it up . Please verity years or dates you want to check
and i will know it is a genuine enquiry . Let me know on this page or by sending
a P.M. to me
Posted By: uptoncx Re: 262 New Ferry Hotel - 10th Mar 2011 6:39am
Originally Posted by cheshirelassy
Can anyone tell me who where the landlords of this pub in the 1915 to 1930 period? I don't live on the Wirral so its not easy for me to trace this period.
Regards
Cheshirelassy

1914 Edmund Proctor
1923 William Jarvis
1938 Miss Mary Jane Holkinson (manageress)

Posted By: Tatey Re: 262 New Ferry Hotel - 10th Mar 2011 8:13am
Are there any pictures of this hotel? In particular the revolving front door.
Posted By: cheshirelassy Re: 262 New Ferry Hotel - 18th Mar 2011 3:13pm
Many thanks uptoncx.
Posted By: Stranger Re: 262 New Ferry Hotel - 18th Mar 2011 4:56pm
Originally Posted by Tatey
Are there any pictures of this hotel? In particular the revolving front door.

From the 'New Ferry Online' website............

NEW FERRY PIER c.1912

Looking back along the pier to the shore, we can see the Esplanade to the right, the ferry office building with the New Ferry Hotel beyond. The boy posing for the photographer (about 13 years of age) was from the training ship Indefatigable that was moored in the river. The pier, built in 1865, was the longest on the Mersey, stretching out 850 feet into the river. It was demolished in 1929, seven years after it was seriously damaged by a steamer.

[Linked Image]

NEW FERRY HOTEL c.1896

This is how the New Ferry Hotel opposite the pier looked at the end of the 19th century. It had been built in the days when New Ferry had been a "pleasure garden" for trippers from Liverpool who came over on the ferry. However, by the time this photo was taken it was looking rather shabby. It would be replaced in 1896-8 by the second hotel which many older people will remember.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tatey Re: 262 New Ferry Hotel - 18th Mar 2011 10:52pm
Thanks for that. Must be the second hotel that I am looking for.
Posted By: Stranger Re: 262 New Ferry Hotel - 19th Mar 2011 3:49pm

Can't find any photos of the second building online confused
Posted By: Tatey Re: 262 New Ferry Hotel - 19th Mar 2011 5:26pm
No, nor could I.Cheers!
Posted By: marty99fred Re: 262 New Ferry Hotel - 20th Mar 2011 3:50pm

The second New Ferry Hotel, photographed in the late 20s.

Attached picture New Ferry Hotel.jpg
Posted By: Tatey Re: 262 New Ferry Hotel - 21st Mar 2011 7:47am
Brilliant! Well done, now just where was that revolving door that my friend caught his heel in one night? Funny at the time, but I bet it hurt!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: 262 New Ferry Hotel - 21st Mar 2011 9:43am
I lived there as the caretaker in the early 70's, when it was the Buff Club (RAOB Birkenhead and District). Can't remember any revolving door though so that might have gone by the time I was there, or fitted after I left. It was bought by the Buffs direct from the brewery as I remember. We had working parties to clean the nicotine off the walls and decorate the place a bit.
When the Buff's frittered it away I believe it was raized to the ground so any building there now would be a new one. It even had it's own bowling green and good car park. There was also a superb entertainments room at the back, what a waste.
Posted By: Tatey Re: 262 New Ferry Hotel - 21st Mar 2011 9:47am
Would have been in mid 60's i think. There was always a fleet of "Telefusion" vans on Friday night (pay day)
Posted By: Lynn_Draper Re: 262 New Ferry Hotel - 27th Jul 2011 9:13pm
My mum and dad ran this pub from 1963 to 1967 - we left when I was 12. Their names were Eric and Dorothy Hawker. I loved living there and have loads of happy memories. It's so sad it was demolished - it was a lovely building. Does anyone remember us?
Posted By: Mike54 Re: 262 New Ferry Hotel - 20th Jan 2020 9:09pm
You can find several photographs of the Hotel at www.newferryonline.org.uk/
© Wirral-Wikiwirral