Forums
Posted By: derekdwc 655 Bridge Inn Bolton Road Port Sunlight - 14th Sep 2009 1:19pm
655 Bridge Inn Bolton Road Port Sunlight

Attached picture Bridge Inn 2.jpg
Attached picture Bridge Inn resized.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: 655 Bridge Inn Bolton Road Port Sunlight - 14th Sep 2009 1:53pm
When Lever built this, it was a temperance hotel. Two years after it opened, the villagers voted for it to sell alcoholic drinks & Lever reluctantly agreed.
Posted By: MJD99 Re: 655 Bridge Inn Bolton Road Port Sunlight - 21st Aug 2011 5:54pm
Had my first pint in here! Aged 14 a pint of Mild and a game of darts!
Posted By: pablo42 Bridge Inn, Port Sunlight - 22nd Sep 2011 11:38am
[Linked Image]

An old photo of the Bridge Inn at Port Sunlight. It looks like the mid sixties to me
Posted By: past_resident Re: Bridge Inn, Port Sunlight - 30th Sep 2011 3:32pm
Had my wedding reception there in '66. I had worked in the District Bank (now Natwest)
Posted By: mikeeb Re: 655 Bridge Inn Bolton Road Port Sunlight - 2nd Aug 2016 11:13am
I always wander where pubs get there name from
The Bridge Inn was built on Victoria Bridge, when the tide came all the way into port sunlight
You cannot see the bridge now because it was buried under the road when the tidal creeks were filled in and some of the parapets used on the New Chester rd bridge
The name and date stone of the bridge is now opposite the Bridge Inn. Some fascinating info about that date stone and where it has been on this link
http://www.pmsa.org.uk/pmsa-database/5251/
The Bridge Inn on the left and Christ Church on the right
[Linked Image]
The church looks the same as today's church but on the other side of the bridge. Was it removed and rebuilt behind the Bridge Inn?
That picture is 1900 but in the article it says "Christ Church itself (interestingly, not until 1902-04)"
Here is the source of the article and picture http://www.victorianweb.org/art/architecture/portsunlight/1.html

Posted By: chriskay Re: 655 Bridge Inn Bolton Road Port Sunlight - 2nd Aug 2016 12:40pm
I doubt the church was moved. I think it's just the angle of view which makes it look as if the church is on the right side of the bridge.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: 655 Bridge Inn Bolton Road Port Sunlight - 2nd Aug 2016 5:01pm
It just looks so far from the pub when it is actually only about 50 metres away
Camera angles can throw you off
The date of the picture must be wrong
Posted By: chriskay Re: 655 Bridge Inn Bolton Road Port Sunlight - 3rd Aug 2016 12:38pm
Originally Posted by mikeeb
It just looks so far from the pub when it is actually only about 50 metres away
Camera angles can throw you off
The date of the picture must be wrong

I agree; the picture date is wrong. The church wasn't finished until 1904. There's certainly no record of it having been moved; if it had been, it would surely have been documented.
Posted By: chriskay Re: 655 Bridge Inn Bolton Road Port Sunlight - 3rd Aug 2016 12:45pm
This O.S. map is from 1912

Attached picture Clip_5.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: 655 Bridge Inn Bolton Road Port Sunlight - 3rd Aug 2016 12:59pm
I suggest the picture was taken from about where the x is. Damn program wouldn't allow me to edit the previous post. frown

Attached picture Clip_6.jpg
Posted By: mikeeb Re: 655 Bridge Inn Bolton Road Port Sunlight - 4th Aug 2016 10:43am
Originally Posted by chriskay
I agree; the picture date is wrong. The church wasn't finished until 1904. There's certainly no record of it having been moved; if it had been, it would surely have been documented.

Agreed. Under closer inspection of the picture, you can actually see the riverbank on the right side of the church
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 655 Bridge Inn Bolton Road Port Sunlight - 11th Oct 2018 10:00pm
Another picture of Bridge Inn with Victoria Bridge, the bridge was built in 1897 but became defunct in 1907 when the creek was filled in, apparently the bridge structure is still in-situ.

Attached picture DpPnskgWkAA4JK8.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral