Forums
4 Sonnys on the Square The Letters 25 Argyle Street

Indexed happy

Attached picture Sonnys on the Square  was the Letters on end.jpg
the Letters
used to sell Aussi White Wine with Bass chaser I think
Only went in there once when pub crawling Skid Row (what we used to call Market St)

Description: this was when it was The Letters
Attached picture The Letters Argyle st resized.jpg
Originally Posted by derekdwc
the Letters
used to sell Aussi White Wine with Bass chaser I think
Only went in there once when pub crawling Skid Row (what we used to call Market St)

Remember it being a quiet alternative to doing a mad one on Market Street !!!!!

Pictures with a young lady then off to to Letters - if she was posh and from Oxton ! (reader I married her!)

Talking about 1982-3 when all the Skid Row pubs were still open...
I used to frequent the Letters a fair bit in the early 80's, run by a baldy scouser called Phil, lovely bloke, had his family run it with him. A lot of punk rockers and indie kids in there but never any trouble. Dic Aberdaeron was one of the regulars i remember in there.
i remember gary and his mrs running it they still have a cafe on the square called the letter
used to go there when it was the letters was a sh1thole but enjoyed it lol
Was it one of the few pubs where you could get Aussi white wine followed by a Bass chaser
yeah lol in the old days spend the whole night on market street and get wasted but always do the letters and find a stay behind in the barristers miss them pubs
Found out today.. My Grandad worked in the Letters in the late 50s smile
It's either closing or being redecorated

Attached picture Letters.[1600x1200].JPG
Did it have another name before the letters?
Now called Chambers

Attached picture chambers [1600x1200].JPG
Reopening with in the next month by a mate of mine The flying horse and the housewifes kitchen cafe/night pub
Was invited by Greg today for the Grand tour. Looking fantastic and he has some great ideas planned thumbsup

Check out the page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Flying-Horse-and-Housewives-Kitchen/737388852995717?fref=ts

Best of luck to Greg and Michelle.
reopened as
Argyle AleHouse
(formerly (1) Letters (2) Chambers Bar & Grill (3) Flying Horse)

© Wirral-Wikiwirral