Posted By: pablo42 Railway Public House - 21st Dec 2011 1:09pm

This is down as the Railay pub being built in New Brighton in the 1940s

Attached picture railwayNB.jpg
Posted By: NBSM51 Re: Railway Public House - 21st Dec 2011 2:28pm
Wrong date written on there .
This work took place in 1956,
I worked on it
Posted By: Helles Re: Railway Public House - 21st Dec 2011 7:50pm
That's true, I remember the old one and I was born in 50.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Railway Public House - 21st Dec 2011 10:59pm
The Railway on a wintry day in December 1962, with the Commercial Hotel beyond.

Attached picture Railway Hotel 1962.jpg
Posted By: NBSM51 Re: Railway Public House - 21st Dec 2011 11:10pm
a little bit of useless trivia related to working on this job,
The Stone mason not bricklayer on this job, had a few of us help him on place he was fixing up as a jazz club in Liverpool, turned out to become a place well known, that old banana warehouse cellar became The Cavern
Posted By: Helles Re: Railway Public House - 21st Dec 2011 11:33pm
You can just see a bit of Eddies news stand. "last city Echo".
Posted By: europa1 Re: Railway Public House - 13th Feb 2013 3:48pm
You're absolutely right. I worked there as a barman in 1971. Bitter and mild handpumps always had the date stamped on them and I always looked for this as some could be quite old. The Railway ones were stamped 1956 and were the same diameter from top to bottom a bit boring. The cellar walls ware the original ones and there was a little room about the size of an outside toilet. This had a door on it and had two old tea chests in it. Tom McCabe the licensee asked me to clean it out. One of the tea chests was packed with compacted straw and the other was half full. When I dug down I found a large quantity of handle glasses mostly pints but some half pints. They were like the 'dimple' shape but had a hexagon design. they were stamped GR V. The straw was stuck like concrete and we had to soak them to remove it before washing them and putting them into use. Needless to say they vanished very quickly. There was quite a few and I imagine some survive in local homes. They had obviously been overlooked stock from the old pub. I remember the cocktail bar upstairs and the two electric pumps in the cellar which pumped bitter and mild up to it. They were often breaking down.
Posted By: the_kwan Re: Railway Public House - 15th Feb 2013 9:05am
I was in here just last weekend but used to ge here regularly in the 90's and every Tuesday as they had a band on, generally Gary Murphy the guitarist and his brother.
Thanks for putting these pictures up, it is fantastic to see them.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Railway Public House - 5th Jun 2017 8:21pm
Is now The New Brighton Hotel

wrong info - sorry
Posted By: Dilly Re: Railway Public House - 5th Jun 2017 9:36pm
Originally Posted by the_kwan
I was in here just last weekend but used to ge here regularly in the 90's and every Tuesday as they had a band on, generally Gary Murphy the guitarist and his brother.
Thanks for putting these pictures up, it is fantastic to see them.

Larry and Gary went under the name of the Booze brothers.
Posted By: daveybm Re: Railway Public House - 6th Jun 2017 7:54am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

The New Brighton Hotel was originally The Neptune, then Lacey's, and then Peggy Gadfly's and is on the next block down. The Railway is still the Railway.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Railway Public House - 6th Jun 2017 4:31pm
Originally Posted by daveybm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

The New Brighton Hotel was originally The Neptune, then Lacey's, and then Peggy Gadfly's and is on the next block down. The Railway is still the Railway.

You're so right, my mistake, somewhere on the internet had it at 119 the same as the railway but it is at 93.

I've asked for my inaccurate post to be deleted.

Thank you
Posted By: Dilly Re: Railway Public House - 6th Jun 2017 4:34pm
Naughty boy DD smile
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Railway Public House - 6th Jun 2017 4:43pm
Originally Posted by Dilly
Naughty boy DD smile

How many lashes this time?
Posted By: Dilly Re: Railway Public House - 6th Jun 2017 5:32pm
Just a few strokes smile
Posted By: venice Re: Railway Public House - 7th Jun 2017 12:59pm
Originally Posted by NBSM51
a little bit of useless trivia related to working on this job,
The Stone mason not bricklayer on this job, had a few of us help him on place he was fixing up as a jazz club in Liverpool, turned out to become a place well known, that old banana warehouse cellar became The Cavern

Love the way snippets of info on here tie up .

Great bit of info to be able to tell your grandkids!
Posted By: tigertiger1953 Re: Railway Public House - 11th Jan 2018 10:45am
In the late 1960s the Railway had a landlord who was too found of the sauce and who, after an epic drinking session, appeared behind the lounge bar wearing only his vest and underpants and suffering from a severe case of intestinal hurry. His wife berated him and told him to return upstairs to which he responded by removing his underpants and flinging them across the lounge where they attached themselves to the light fitting. As he, his wife, the bar staff and the cleaner all refused to remove them, the undies became an unusual conversation piece until a smartly dressed gentleman from Higsons Brewery appeared and much to the amusement of the clientele, stood on a stool and removed the offending garment with a pair of tongs. He then placed them into a plastic bag and left.
Name changed to The James Atherton and now changed again (possibly temporary) to The Three Bellends

Attached picture 3 bellends.jpg
Attached picture the three bellends.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral