Forums
521 Lighthouse Inn, Wallasey Wallasey Village, Wallasey

Indexed happy

[Linked Image]

Attached picture Lighthouse 2_b.jpg
Attached picture lighthouse 3.jpg
The Lighthouse Inn, Wallasey Village in 2003. Not a lot changed from the photo's above, but it would be nice to see some shots of it before the major re-vamp it had (Late 90's?)
Inside used to be rather 'chintsy', with seperate bars. In the bar at the back (up the steps as it is today) the bar used to have a lighthouse traffic-light on the bar. It was not unique, as I've seen them in other pubs, but the idea was - Green, bar open - Amber, last orders - Red, bar closed.

Description: The Lghthouse pub, Wallasey. 2003.
Attached picture 521-2003.JPG
Originally Posted by Norton
The Lighthouse Inn, Wallasey Village in 2003. Not a lot changed from the photo's above, but it would be nice to see some shots of it before the major re-vamp it had (Late 90's?)

Photos of the Lighthouse how it used to be and the original pub it replaced here clicky
Thanks for the link, some great photo's.
I can't help thinking how similar the building is to the Lighthouse Inn in Hoylake - 418 in the list, even down to the detail at the middle of each window frame. But look closely and you will see it's not quite the same, for example the way the castled corner stones lie beneath the gutter. Did the Birkenhead Brewery have any more pubs of this design?
The Red Cat in Greasby is the closest I can think of; though the treatment of the gable over the entrance is different, it's clearly by the same designer.

Attached picture Red Cat, Greasby Opened 20-8-64.jpg
Thanks marty. I hadn't thought about the 1960's buildings as I was actually thinking about how similar the 'old' pubs of the Birkenhead Brewery were. Now you mention it, we can see how similar their modern replacements are.
That picture needs to be in the 447 Red Cat topic in its own right.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral