Forums
Posted By: uptoncx 103 Shakespeare Hotel 234 Chester Street - 21st Feb 2009 7:55pm
Shakespeare Hotel on the corner of Chester Street and Waterloo Place

[Linked Image]

The Prince Alfred is on the opposite corner (on the left).

Posted By: yoller Re: 103 Shakespeare Hotel 234 Chester Street - 22nd Feb 2009 7:47pm
Just to correct the caption. The Shakespeare is the pub on the left and the Prince Alfred is the pub on the right.
Posted By: jimbob Re: 103 Shakespeare Hotel 234 Chester Street - 22nd Feb 2009 8:29pm
dont know how many times we have made this correction regarding the shakespeare been on the left hand side of waterloo place. when i read the caption last night i thought NOT AGAIN
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 103 Shakespeare Hotel 234 Chester Street - 27th May 2011 5:11am
Never mind the pub. WHY is there a coke brazier in the middle of the tram tracks ?
this would probably be a cocky watchmans fire
Posted By: Norton Re: 103 Shakespeare Hotel 234 Chester Street - 18th Sep 2012 8:27pm
They are the rails for horse drawn trams. The electric cars needed heavier rails and were laid (or re-laid)to a higher specification. This included the way the sets were to be laid around them. Note the pattern here and compare with the later ones.
This could have been taken around the time of the conversion, circa 1901. The photo is comparable with others taken on Borough Road at the time, which also include a watchmans fire.
Note the numbers to the right of the doorstep - 2604. I don't know what it is for, but in the Borough Road ones, the photographer kindly included a board with the date on it.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: 103 Shakespeare Hotel 234 Chester Street - 19th Sep 2012 9:07am
Originally Posted by yoller
Just to correct the caption. The Shakespeare is the pub on the left and the Prince Alfred is the pub on the right.

confirmed on map

Attached picture pa and sh.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: 103 Shakespeare Hotel 234 Chester Street - 19th Sep 2012 2:02pm
I notice on the map it's spelled "Shakspere". Anyone know which it was?
(I would have expected the Ordnance Survey to get it right).
Posted By: derekdwc Re: 103 Shakespeare Hotel 234 Chester Street - 13th Sep 2013 10:09pm
a pic

Attached picture Shakespeare [1600x1200].jpg
Attached picture Waterrloo Place sign.jpg
Posted By: marty99fred Re: 103 Shakespeare Hotel 234 Chester Street - 20th Sep 2013 9:17pm
The Shakespeare in December 1965.

Attached picture Shakespeare.jpg
Posted By: SUExx Re: 103 Shakespeare Hotel 234 Chester Street - 21st Sep 2013 7:06am
wow, it took a while to get my bearings but the above pic is exactly where the wall is then to the end of the shops were pc word is isn't it.
If so then its totally unrecognisable.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: 103 Shakespeare Hotel 234 Chester Street - 21st Sep 2013 10:10am
But.. you recognised it.
Posted By: SUExx Re: 103 Shakespeare Hotel 234 Chester Street - 21st Sep 2013 11:55am
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
But.. you recognised it.

No actually, I looked on street view to make sure I had the right place and followed road to the end where pc world is.
Posted By: Norton Re: 103 Shakespeare Hotel 234 Chester Street - 21st Sep 2013 12:09pm
Good picture, not seen that one before. It also gives us an idea when the Prince Alfred was demolished, as the ground seems freshly cleared.

My best guess is that its location is now part of the central reservation between the northbound lane going to the flyover / link road to Central station, and the southbound lanes coming from the Woodside direction towards Lairds main gate roundabout.

In the background, far left, is the old railway bridge which got replaced with a wider one to coincide with the new road layout. This became redundant and was eventually removed. The area of the railway sidings became the new trading estate. The PC world building, at the north end, was actually a later addition to the others, but in the same style. Just wind back Google Earth to 2000 and you'll see.

I don't think the road alignment moved very far on the river side of New Chester Road at this point, perhaps only the width of the pavement, while the west side, including the pubs, were completely demolished for the approach roads.

The picture below is taken from almost the same place as the one above. As far as I can tell, the bus is cutting through the last part of Wellington Place, intended to be a works access, but he had come along the wrong bit of road in error. ( I know, I was there!)

Description: Wellington Place makes way for the new New Chester Rd. c 1968
Attached picture A4CFBe21rw.jpg
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: 103 Shakespeare Hotel 234 Chester Street - 21st Sep 2013 8:39pm
I would never in a million years of recognised it.
Posted By: yoller Re: 103 Shakespeare Hotel 234 Chester Street - 21st Sep 2013 11:02pm
The yellow dot marks the approximate location of the old Shakespeare, seen on today's road layout.

Attached picture waterloo.1.jpg
Posted By: bigpete Re: 103 Shakespeare Hotel 234 Chester Street - 24th Sep 2013 1:47pm
Originally Posted by marty99fred
The Shakespeare in December 1965.

Superb - Look at the water tower in the back - must ba 50,000 gallon capacity.
The railways behind the pub were the carriage sidings - known by some as Mason Street carriage sidings, which I can't readily work out as access from Mason Street would not be direct.
Posted By: bert1 Re: 103 Shakespeare Hotel 234 Chester Street - 24th Sep 2013 1:57pm
Mason St

Attached picture mason st.JPG
Posted By: yoller Re: 103 Shakespeare Hotel 234 Chester Street - 25th Sep 2013 8:09am
What year is that map, please Bert?
Posted By: bert1 Re: 103 Shakespeare Hotel 234 Chester Street - 25th Sep 2013 11:32am
Originally Posted by yoller
What year is that map, please Bert?

Hi Yoller,

1967/70
Posted By: yoller Re: 103 Shakespeare Hotel 234 Chester Street - 25th Sep 2013 11:46am
Thanks, Bert. Do you know where I could get a copy?
Posted By: bigpete Re: 103 Shakespeare Hotel 234 Chester Street - 25th Sep 2013 1:25pm
Mason Street of course - now it makes sense - great map Bert - show the area before it was brutalised by the Tunnel approach scheme and before the Cally became marooned in the middle of the roundabout.
Posted By: yoller Re: 103 Shakespeare Hotel 234 Chester Street - 28th Sep 2013 7:32pm
This picture, captioned 1954, shows Chester Street with the Shakespeare pub on the left at the junction of Waterloo Place, just by the traffic lights. The Prince Alfred pub is a bit further along, directly across the road from the Shakespeare. The railway bridge, now demolished, used to carry trains into Cammell Lairds.

Although all the buildings to the left along Chester Street were demolished in 1966-1967 to make way for the flyover and underpass as part of the tunnel approaches scheme, Chester Street still follows the same general line today.

Attached picture shakespeare : prince alfred.jpg
Posted By: Reno37 Re: 103 Shakespeare Hotel 234 Chester Street - 9th Oct 2013 6:29pm
Facinating and many thanks for the invaluable info, however I cannot find Waterloo Place or Wellington Place on my 1909 map, although I am sure I must have seen these places as a child but I cannot think where. I do remember the Wellinton Hotel on Borough Road at the top of Thomas Street but cannot think of where Waterloo Place stood Can you please offer a pointer.

Many Thanks

Tony
Posted By: derekdwc Re: 103 Shakespeare Hotel 234 Chester Street - 9th Oct 2013 6:40pm
Central Station - Hind st leading into Blackpool st leading into Waterloo Place - Chester st.
Also got to it at the bottom of Thomas st and Jackson st and Tunnel Rd.
Nowadays it's just by PC World in rock retail park

Top of Thomas st was the Borough Hotel
Posted By: yoller Re: 103 Shakespeare Hotel 234 Chester Street - 9th Oct 2013 8:13pm
Originally Posted by Reno37
Facinating and many thanks for the invaluable info, however I cannot find Waterloo Place or Wellington Place on my 1909 map, although I am sure I must have seen these places as a child but I cannot think where. I do remember the Wellinton Hotel on Borough Road at the top of Thomas Street but cannot think of where Waterloo Place stood Can you please offer a pointer.

Many Thanks

Tony

I think there may be a bit of confusion over the location of the Shakespeare because Norton referred to 'Wellington Place' in his previous posting, when I think he meant Waterloo Place. As far as I remember, there was no Wellington Place in this part of Birkenhead.

You can't see Waterloo Place on the Godfrey 1909 map because it is not shown - the map is cut off at the southern end and does not go far enough down to reach Waterloo Place. But if you follow Derek's directions, you can reach what remains of Waterloo Place today.

There was a Wellington Hotel, at the junction of The Haymarket and the extreme eastern end of Grange Road, just across from the top of Jackson Street.
Posted By: Reno37 Re: 103 Shakespeare Hotel 234 Chester Street - 10th Oct 2013 11:34am
Many Thanks to all you very knowledgable Wirral Folk. Yes, I now know exactly where Waterloo Place once stood and the great pubs that stood there. I now remember walking under the now demolished railway bridge at the bottom of Hind Steet near to the Gas Works. Thanks again for jogging my memory. Best Wishes to all for your invaluable help.

Tony
Posted By: Bluesman Re: 103 Shakespeare Hotel 234 Chester Street - 13th Apr 2019 2:39pm
Hiya - On some threads I see a link to an image posted but whenever I click them I see 'you do not have access to download this attachment' Can anyone help please?
Originally Posted by Bluesman
Hiya - On some threads I see a link to an image posted but whenever I click them I see 'you do not have access to download this attachment' Can anyone help please?

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/subscriptions.html
© Wirral-Wikiwirral