Forums
Posted By: kimpri 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 30th Jan 2009 2:48pm
654 THE FISHERMANS WHARF. SEACOMBE
Indexed happy
Posted By: uggla Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 16th Feb 2009 10:36pm
anyone have a picture of this place i went here many times in the 90s wasnt it burned down
Posted By: SoundLad Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 16th Feb 2009 10:37pm
It was burnt down yes smile
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 16th Feb 2009 10:40pm
gone now kid only the gates left!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 24th Jul 2009 5:27pm
1997 Aerial

Attached picture Fishermans-Wharf-1997-s.jpg
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 1st May 2011 11:53am
I still cannot understand where this place was?

Never been there.
Posted By: Mark Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 1st May 2011 12:12pm

View Larger Map
Over the ballards and fence now lol

[Linked Image]
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 1st May 2011 2:19pm
it was rough in there lol
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 1st May 2011 3:15pm
I went past there the other day. You can see some of the dance floor tiles still in place.
Posted By: Geekus Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 1st May 2011 4:06pm
Used to be on the waterfront between Seacombe Ferry and the Four Bridges. Bit of a rough area Ste, but popular enough in its day.

Posted By: raymondo Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 1st May 2011 7:51pm
yup fell out of there once or twice in my younger days
Posted By: Geekus Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 1st May 2011 9:43pm
...think the main attraction was that it always seemed to have late drinking. If you'd been down 'La Banque' or (God forbid) somewhere like 'The Blazing Stump', it was a pretty handy place to go for another bevy. yomama

Posted By: Bezzymate Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 1st May 2011 9:47pm
Ahh, The Stump!
Spent so much time in there in the early 80's.
Posted By: Geekus Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 1st May 2011 9:54pm
Didn't rate the beer much at The Stump, but they used to have some good bands on there. Remember 'The Touch', or 'Herbie Pops Out'?!!! And who could possibly forget the ever young 'Farons Flamingos'! raftl
Posted By: raymondo Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 1st May 2011 10:43pm
ever remember bonkers on the dock rd wasnt open for long i dont think building stil there though
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 1st May 2011 11:10pm
yeah I went to bonkers once it was empty lol
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 1st May 2011 11:43pm
Kicking out time was a regular source of amusement.
The phonebox, where they'd all congregate, waiting for taxis' was at the bottom of our road. Saw all kinds omg
Despite the nightime 'reputation', it appeared popular during the day, for diners.
Upstairs,the dining area, had a floor to ceiling window-fantastic view of the Liverpool waterfront.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 1st May 2011 11:52pm
Originally Posted by KevinFinity
I went past there the other day. You can see some of the dance floor tiles still in place.
And the toilets.
The land is owned by Peel Holdings now. It was fenced off, 'open' again now, most of the boarding ripped down-even though there is nothing to see, particularly! (And my dogs got Fox Ticks frown )
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 2nd May 2011 5:44pm
Yes, considering the site was empty land it was fenced off pretty well with giant concrete things blocking the road. It must have been just to keep travellers out.
Posted By: Ducko Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 3rd May 2011 2:08pm
any one remember incognitos nex to the blubell pub seedy place
Posted By: Mogzie Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 4th May 2011 7:24pm
Is it true that the Blazing Stump got its nickname because an ex seaman with a wooden peg leg used to stoke the fire with said apendage?
Posted By: neilb Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 12th Aug 2011 3:07pm
Originally Posted by Ducko
any one remember incognitos nex to the blubell pub seedy place

the incog was the place to go if all else failed.full of blokes with flat noses and ladies that would for a tenner pmsl happy
Posted By: Tatey Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 12th Aug 2011 5:08pm
Originally Posted by Mogzie
Is it true that the Blazing Stump got its nickname because an ex seaman with a wooden peg leg used to stoke the fire with said apendage?

Yes, but he was the landlord.
Posted By: Spannerhead Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 12th Aug 2011 11:15pm
I Remember going in here when I first moved up here, why did it burn down? Was it arson? Did this place have a reputation for being a sticky floor slapper hang out?
In other words if you didn't pull you must be gay lol.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 13th Aug 2011 12:01am
all the knock backs from clubs in birkenhead n newbo ended up in there lol
Posted By: Spannerhead Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 13th Aug 2011 12:38am
So is the tavern the place for the Birkenhead knock backs to go now then?
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 13th Aug 2011 1:17am
you mean the tav? that was grab a granny in the 90s but know its a fairly decent gaff. tallulas on the prom is good not been since rjs shut probably over run with chavs lol
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 18th Sep 2011 9:08am
I only went in there once. It was like the fecking Star Wars Bar-only in the Star Wars Bar the women were better-looking!! The music was good, though. I remember having to walk away from the place to get a cab as the cab drivers were reluctant to pick up from there. There was also an unusual smell from the adjacent oilworks or summat similar. All in all-an experience never to forget!!
Posted By: Pepper_Head Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 20th Sep 2011 12:02pm
I went in there a couple of times when I 1st moved up from down south mate. Full of slappers.
Posted By: kenny_james Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 17th Oct 2011 8:18am
i was the original dj in the fishermans wharf alongside dj terry lamb it was open for 5 years from 1992-1997, if anybody would like any questions answered honestly and correctly just ask me!.
Posted By: terry01 Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 17th Oct 2011 9:04pm
I'll echo everything that Kenny James has written. I,along with Kenny was the original DJ at the Fishermans Wharf from day 1 until it closed and I'm afraid that many of the views recorded here are wildly inaccurate.We also both worked at La Banque on King Street,another very busy pub in what was then a very busy area pubwise...The P A, The Five Bars,The Dale (long demolished) The Vanser,The Float,The Bee and quite a few others were all busy several nights a week.
Just like Kenny I would be happy to give a true representation of "The Wharf" to anybody who has a genuine interest.You might be interested to know that a Fishermans Wharf reunion has been suggested and the initial response has been tremendous. Watch this space!
Posted By: Shakespeare Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 13th Feb 2012 8:54pm
I agree with the DJ's (who I remember)....The Wharf was a great place, we had some great nights in there. We'd all start off in La Banque and when that closed we'd head down the Wharf.. I'd like to thank Terry for my first taped album of The Body Guard which I won in La Banque on quiz night..
Posted By: janet17 Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 13th Jun 2012 4:12pm
Hi Ken Im desperately searching for photos of Fishermans Wharf, can you help? I met my (now) husband there on 4th August 1992, so its our 20th anniversary this year and Im planning a suprise party. I have CDs from 1992, so thats music sorted, but cant find photos anywhere. I am suprised at the rather unflattering things people are saying about it, as although I only went a few times, I remember it very fondly. It was a very hot summer in 1992, and Fishermans had a lovely view across the River, especially when the Tall Ships were there that year. Ah happy days. Anyway, if you can help that would be great? Kind regards, Janet Wilkinson
Posted By: janet17 Re: 654 The Fishermans Wharf, Seacombe - 13th Jun 2012 4:15pm
Hi Terry. I met my husband at Fishermans Wharf on 4th August 1992, so have very fond memories of there. As you say, it was a great place, so I dont understand all the unkind comments. If you have any photographs of Fishermans, could you let me know please? I cant seem to find any anywhere. Did the reunion ever take place? If not, is there anything planned yet, if so we could be intersted? Many thanks.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral