Forums
Posted By: derekdwc 57 Carlton 468 Borough Road - 5th Jan 2009 11:37pm
57 Carlton 468 Borough Road

Indexed happy

Attached picture Carlton.jpg
Posted By: jimbob Re: 57 Carlton 468 Borough Road - 25th Jan 2011 10:23pm
57 the Carlton on Borough road is closes, boarded up with a for sale sign {not sure if it said for sale or lease} on the wall.
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: 57 Carlton 468 Borough Road - 26th Jan 2011 6:41pm
I only went to the Carlton once it was 30 years ago xmas night it was the only pub open any where had a good night though sad aswell another one shuts its doors so many people tend to drink at home now I think it has a lot to do with the smoking ban
Posted By: rocketqueen Re: 57 Carlton 468 Borough Road - 26th Jan 2011 6:59pm
sad that another good pub has gone..but in recent years it has gained a bad reputation....but even still sad to see it closed...

must admit i preferred turleys over the road...
Posted By: Rhoobarb Re: 57 Carlton 468 Borough Road - 26th Jan 2011 9:04pm
Used to be my local when I lived in Tranmere.

Was a great pub and nearly always chocker.
Posted By: nestonlad Re: 57 Carlton 468 Borough Road - 27th Jan 2011 12:42pm
I used to go there at dinnertime, when i was studying at birkenhead college in the eighties,i think it used to do allright when the college was there
Posted By: davaw1 Re: 57 Carlton 468 Borough Road - 27th Jan 2011 1:43pm
Anyone got any pictures of Turleys?
Posted By: daveoffshore Re: 57 Carlton 468 Borough Road - 20th Sep 2011 11:02am
Back in the mid 60's the lounge here had a revolving door - the dare (as a kid) was to go and in and out in the revolving door and see the adults drinking / singing.

I only ever did the dare when I knew my Mum & Dad were not there ie they said they were going The Royal!

One day to my utter horrer I got it wrong - they were there and I got a thick ear later! so much for mates - I wasn't the first to go through the door that night!

Later on in life reaching the grand age of 16/17 and onwards until my mid 30s used to use the bar quite a lot with the likes of Robbie & Billy Randles (Billy sadly no longer with us) Edwin and Stuart Randles later (they were even younger than us!) The Randles Mum & Dad - May & Sony, My Mum & Dad Nance & Harry, Gary Cummings, Robbie Jackson, Dave Sproutson (Dave sadly no longer with us) Dave Eastwood, the rest of the names escape me sorry if anybody is reading who was also there with us

The pub may have attained a bad name recently but in the days gone by it used to do great things for charity and local kids -thanks mainly to the Murray Family lead by their Dad Johnny who used to live in the flats in Brattan Road I think - anybody remember Les?, from the late 60s early 70s I can see his face now as plain as day, who, bless him would have 1 beer and be half sloshed due to the amount he drank? he played Father Christmas one Christmas launch time for the kids and set fire to his beard - oh happy days
Posted By: detsi Re: 57 Carlton 468 Borough Road - 20th Sep 2011 11:23am
Was Bob Cheery the boss of the Carlton then? Bloody huge guy, about 6ft 7in. I know he moved up to the Beehive in Church Road in the 60's.
Did the Murrays in the Bratten flats have a lad who was a cracking footballer? If so, I played against him once. Don't think I got a kick.
When I used to frequent the Royal, Jim Tees was the boss and his daughter Carole served behind the bar. God,I loved that girl from afar.
I used to go to the Imp on a Friday night, Johnny Bollanger and another guy played guitars in the back room (Twenty flight Rock and Wild Side of Life). You needed to get in early to get a seat but once in you couldn't get out.
Sounds like you followed in my footsteps, Dave.
Posted By: daveoffshore Re: 57 Carlton 468 Borough Road - 20th Sep 2011 12:29pm
Hi Detsi

Boy its great to talk about this - yep Bob Cherry was the landlord and a great friend of my Dads, He went, like you say up to the Beehive (My Dad followed - anything for a cheap pint!) and his son eventually took over the The Railway in Hoylake (just over bridge by the railway station Meols I think its called) in fact I think Bob actually started it for him - had a massive field next to it where us kids played while our parents recovered in the pub from a Sunday out on the prom at Hoylake - we always used to sit on the first bench by the toilets - Can't think of his sons name though.

The cracking footballer you refer to is Johnny - the eldest son of Dad Johnny not only a cracking footballer but also good with his hands like his Dad - he used to teach me boxing!! I lost !!

My Dad Harry played the guiter in The Imp, The Carlton & The Royal, The Tixhall (how many remember that?) with my Uncle Freddie (Victoria Road I think opposite the Park entrance by The Queens) playing the accordian (squeeze box) my other Uncle Billy (Fountain Street) used to play the piano for great old knees up -brilliant times.

The Imp was the hang out for us lot when we were "Stood By" HMS Birmingham getting built at Lairds.

Anybody remember "The Buffer" from HMS Birmingham?

"They were them days"
Posted By: bert1 Re: 57 Carlton 468 Borough Road - 20th Sep 2011 12:49pm
Yes Dave, having worked on the Birmingham and the Liverpool i did come across The Buffer (Bosun's mate) and his big beard, didn't have a lot to do with him but i remember him being a decent lad. Not sure if he stayed for the Liverpool.
Posted By: daveoffshore Re: 57 Carlton 468 Borough Road - 20th Sep 2011 2:09pm
Hi Bert

Sorry Off Topic a little

You never know we may have meet - I was a Leading Hand (Electricial) on Birmingham during her build at Lairds. It was great home every night, quick shower and then off to New Brighton "Billy Blues" disco - All The Nice Girls Love a Sailor"
and all that!

As for The Buffer yes he went and stayed on the Liverpool.

He was a formidable "Buffer" but looked after his lads - many a night in The Imp sevral beers and only dark Capts Rum for "The Buffer" - I think he was Breast Fed Rum!

Sadly no longer with us - There was an absolute massive send off for him in Portsmouth for the life of me I can't think of the pub on the corner in Portsmouth where there was a snug where "HE" sat. He was a legend in the RN
Posted By: bert1 Re: 57 Carlton 468 Borough Road - 20th Sep 2011 2:20pm
You never know Dave, our paths may of crossed, any pub in Portsmouth may well have been visited by our own former submariner Bandycoot, he might remember going in, unlikely to remember coming out.
I'm not surprised the Buffer having a good turn out, he was a bit of a legend in Laird's.
Posted By: jimbob Re: 57 Carlton 468 Borough Road - 20th Sep 2011 9:37pm
The Buffer came back to Lairds during the build of the Cambelltown. She been the last skimmer built in Lairds.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 57 Carlton 468 Borough Road - 20th Sep 2011 9:58pm
Tixall club is still going Dave!
Posted By: louise127 Re: 57 Carlton 468 Borough Road - 28th Nov 2011 4:24pm
I was a frequent visitor at lunch times when I was at college, lager and black ha ha
© Wirral-Wikiwirral