Forums
Posted By: Mark 44 Claughton Hotel - 29th Dec 2008 2:17pm
Claughton Hotel 50 Upton Road
Pictures from derekdwc

Indexed happy

Description: Claughton Hotel
Attached picture claughton-hotel.jpg
Posted By: Sanchez Re: 44 Claughton Hotel - 29th Dec 2008 3:03pm
Glad to see that place still open mark, brings back memories of the moderators monthly meet we use to have, me (even though i was never or probaberly wiil be a mod), you, paz, aceritz, broomy, j, maverick, pingu, kim, think thats it.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: 44 Claughton Hotel - 26th Apr 2009 9:18pm

Came across this while looking for something else.

The owner of the Claughton Hotel went bankrupt in 1858 and the hotel was sold at aution. In the advert for the auction it is described as follows:

"The hotel has only recently been built; contains a large clubroom, water closet and every convenience required for carrying on an extensive and respectable business, being situate in a most improving neighbourhood, nearly adjoining the Flaybrick Quarries, now in full work, opposite the north-west entrance to Birkenhead Park"

The tenant at this time was Mr Thomas Speakman.

Another document says that in the 1860s Mr and Mrs Evans were tenants, Mr Evans was known as 'Old Lewis Evans' and was a noted character. He mysteriously vanished, and was never heard of again, except that long after, human remains were found in the bushes adjoining the bridge in the Rhododendron Gardens at Bidston, which were thought to be his.

Mr Lewis Evans, his wife and daughter certainly kept the Claughton Hotel in the 1860s, but I can find no other references to his disappearance. Does anyone Know anything about this?

Posted By: Brass Re: 44 Claughton Hotel - 21st Nov 2010 10:09pm
I had my holy commuion party in here
© Wirral-Wikiwirral