Forums
Posted By: granny The Golden Years - 20th Dec 2017 9:15pm

Just watching the Real Marigold on Tour. They are in Iceland in tonight's programme.

In which country would like to spend your Golden Years ?
Posted By: Excoriator Re: The Golden Years - 20th Dec 2017 10:42pm
I would like to drift around all the EU countries without having to piss about with visas and passports, but you and your xenophobic friends have made that a lot more difficult.
Posted By: granny Re: The Golden Years - 20th Dec 2017 11:22pm

You can still go and the sooner the better ! In fact, you should have gone years ago and found yourself a fat German Frau to share your sauerkraut with. What stopped you ?

Buzz off you old buzzard, and stop trolling.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: The Golden Years - 20th Dec 2017 11:29pm
I quite like it here Granny but must admit the Shetland Islands are looking more and more attractive.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The Golden Years - 21st Dec 2017 1:44am
Originally Posted by Moonstar
I quite like it here Granny but must admit the Shetland Islands are looking more and more attractive.

Never understood the attraction of OAPs to exposed locations with regard to weather. All the coastal towns with OAPs right on the coast facing the winter weather sound like a nightmare for those people.

Shetlands have quite a challenging weather for fit people, ask any service person that's had a posting to Saxa Vord.
Posted By: joney Re: The Golden Years - 21st Dec 2017 10:41am
I think Granny has forgotten to take her tablets.
Posted By: granny Re: The Golden Years - 21st Dec 2017 10:47am
Originally Posted by joney
I think Granny has forgotten to take her tablets.

Granny doesn't take any tablets, but by all accounts you indulge in the red wine. So I assume you're happy living in the land of the grapes ?
Posted By: granny Re: The Golden Years - 21st Dec 2017 10:51am
Originally Posted by Moonstar

I remember speaking to someone who moved from Wirral and had lived on the Shetland Isles for a large number of years and they loved it. Difficulties with acquiring certain things back then, (10 yrs ago) but that didn't affect their lifestyle.

Personally, I don't think I could live with such few hours of daylight for so many months but others obviously can.

Posted By: dingle Re: The Golden Years - 21st Dec 2017 11:25am
I am retired now. Trying to get a pension from the Australian Government, I live in hope. Emigrated in Jan 1970. Best thing I ever did. I have had a great life, have three great kids and 5 wonderful grandkids. Except for the politicians - Australia is the greatest place in the world. You can keep your freezing and windy and snowy places. Yesterday it was 40c(thank the Lord for A/C) and today it has been about 25 and showery. That is the early summer here. Anyway Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all.
Posted By: cools Re: The Golden Years - 21st Dec 2017 5:33pm
Enjoy this programme , just watched last night's as recorded it Granny. I thought it looked a really good place Iceland, obviously very cold but love the idea of long days although wouldn't like the dark ones they have for so long.Maybe only go there in summer ha. I must admit to like watching Miriam Margolyes , she makes me laugh but I expect if you had to put up with her you'd want to kill her, lol. She just doesn't care does she? We could do with her to deal with the irritant you know who???
All the very best to you too Dingle in Australia, ye wouldn't mind a spell their although I don't like creepy crawlies!Enjoy your Xmas dinner done on the barby I expect? santa santa
Posted By: fish5133 Re: The Golden Years - 21st Dec 2017 7:20pm
Friends who are about 60 have just up sticks and gone to live in Lyness on the Isle of Hoy in the Orkneys. Population 450. Requires a ferry to escape. You know it will be a fairly bleak place by the abscence of trees.... At least ive got another holiday destination ...

Happy to spend golden years in a post brexit UK
Posted By: granny Re: The Golden Years - 22nd Dec 2017 7:55am

It's nice to see people like 'Joney' and 'dingle' dropping into Wikiwirral from their place of refuge.

Nice to hear from you guys, and it would seem you have no regrets, which makes the idea even more appealing. thumbsup
Posted By: granny Re: The Golden Years - 22nd Dec 2017 8:08am

I must admit ,I am quite happy with this country. There are others that I once thought would be an option, but as time passes just like Dorothy said "there's no place like home" She was dreaming too about the yellow brick road !

My only dream in recent years has been to do a round Britain tour on the rail network, but planning a route to take in as many places of interest as possible, became virtually impossible within the first few days.
Hotel stopovers etc., too darned expensive ! So I abandoned that idea.

The only other country that might appeal is possibly Canada, but not having been there, I'd have to rely on Snowshoes giving the speel. I'd love the snow and the horse drawn sleigh rides.
Posted By: joney Re: The Golden Years - 22nd Dec 2017 10:59am
Dont talk about red wine granny it gets me all excited .
Posted By: joney Re: The Golden Years - 22nd Dec 2017 11:01am
Dont talk about red wine granny it gets me all excited .
Posted By: granny Re: The Golden Years - 22nd Dec 2017 10:17pm

Noted, Joney. Your finger got the DT's ! laugh
© Wirral-Wikiwirral