Forums
Posted By: venice Human brain tissue in rats - 10th Nov 2017 1:06pm
Watching RT today, revealed that experiments have been going on for some time , putting certain parts of human brain tissue into rats and mice. This can apparently help solve mysteries about Dementia and the like . Wonderful progress as dementia is on the rise , or scary dilemma of where do we stop ?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Human brain tissue in rats - 10th Nov 2017 1:43pm
There have been an enormous amount of statistical finds recently and a number of commonly used drugs that alleviate the onset or symptoms of dementia have been identified.

Hopefully they will have this pretty much nailed down in the next few years, its a terrible way to end the final years of life for both the victim and their friends and relatives.
Posted By: venice Re: Human brain tissue in rats - 10th Nov 2017 4:47pm
Agreed, its a horrendous ending to a life for all concerned . Hope you're right about nailing it , but considering I dont see a direct answer to the actual question I asked, does that mean you dont think its right or necessary to do the kind of experiments I mentioned , or quite the opposite?
Posted By: granny Re: Human brain tissue in rats - 10th Nov 2017 6:18pm

There are many alternatives to using animals for research.

http://www.ldf.org.uk/research/49/53/2546/
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Human brain tissue in rats - 10th Nov 2017 6:48pm
There are many alternatives to using animals for research.

I doubt it's that simple. I think its more likely that it depends on the type of research!
Posted By: venice Re: Human brain tissue in rats - 10th Nov 2017 7:11pm
Lets forget cosmetics testing and concentrate on lets say specifically dementia. Considering we hear that there are cases where people have woken after brain injury or surgery etc, with skills or 'gifts' they didnt have before -like suddenly speaking another language etc, there are also the mysteries of savants, the mysteries of dreaming, of healers, of deja vu, and most of all , the thinking ,reasoning, unique 'being' bit of a human ---its clear that we understand only a fraction of the brains capacity and function (in my opinion) .

So - how do we know when we put human tissue , maybe stem cells even into another creature, that that creature cant absorb, build new human neurons within themselves, and possibly have some sort of more human attributes given time , and more tissue ? Hence where do we stop? Do we actually know enough to be 100% sure that this could not happen ? (Even when research labs push well beyond agreed rules ?)

Posted By: Excoriator Re: Human brain tissue in rats - 10th Nov 2017 11:35pm
I guess we'll find out when we turn up at the GPs to find he has been replaced by a rat, although my bet is he'll be replaced by an AI neural network well before then.

In fact, quite simple rule-based Bayesian inferencing software gives results comparable or better than GPs at diagnosing problems using simple question and answer sessions.

Whatever happens, I bet you'll still have to wait ages for an appointment though!
Posted By: cools Re: Human brain tissue in rats - 11th Nov 2017 8:08am
Abit off the subject but wasn't that incredible if not abit creepy about the guy who received another man's face? The wife of the donor met him for the first time and was quite overwhelmed. The circumstances were strange as both men tried to kill themselves, one succeeded the other just messed his face up..
Posted By: venice Re: Human brain tissue in rats - 11th Nov 2017 9:19am
Yes very odd feeling to it cools.
Posted By: granny Re: Human brain tissue in rats - 16th Nov 2017 3:29pm
European Commission review lab animal laws.

Posted: 15 November 2017. Updated: 16 November 2017

http://www.ad-international.org/animal_experiments/go.php?id=4478&ssi=83

It should matter how small animals are, they are still living with a nervous system and a pain threshold.

[youtube]8IR3fDGcWqI[/youtube]
Posted By: venice Re: Human brain tissue in rats - 16th Nov 2017 4:59pm
10 years and still so far to go Sad.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral