Forums
Posted By: granny RMS Queen Elizabeth 1945 - 19th Aug 2017 8:03am
A whole generation who never told their stories, but they would never have forgotten them.

The liner "Queen Elizabeth" bringing American troops into NY Harbor at the end of WWII, 1945

Attached picture The liner Queen Elizabeth bringing American troops into NY Harbor at the end of WWII, 1945.jpg
Posted By: cools Re: RMS Queen Elizabeth 1945 - 19th Aug 2017 9:07am
Gosh all those Yanks wonder she doesn't sink. Everybody must have been so happy, at least in those times you knew who your enemy was eh Granny, not like today? My mum was in the ATS and she said it was the best time of her life , even though there was the bombing and families being torn apart by the fighting. Everybody lived for the moment and United to fight for Britain!! She was only 48 when she died ,bless her...
Posted By: saltytom Re: RMS Queen Elizabeth 1945 - 19th Aug 2017 10:11am
My grandmother was on board for many of these trips according to her discharge book, sadly all records of troop ships where destroyed in 1951 records are gradually being put together.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: RMS Queen Elizabeth 1945 - 19th Aug 2017 12:17pm
In those days, cruise liners looked like ships. Today, they are like horrible boring blocks of flats plonked precariously on top of a hull and to my eye anyway, look absolutely vile.
Posted By: granny Re: RMS Queen Elizabeth 1945 - 20th Aug 2017 2:12pm
Originally Posted by saltytom
My grandmother was on board for many of these trips according to her discharge book, sadly all records of troop ships where destroyed in 1951 records are gradually being put together.

Was your grandmother a nurse, Saltytom ?
Posted By: saltytom Re: RMS Queen Elizabeth 1945 - 21st Aug 2017 6:15am
Yes,she sailed with White Star / Cunard 1930 to 1960
Posted By: granny Re: RMS Queen Elizabeth 1945 - 21st Aug 2017 9:02am
Thirty years ! I had a Gt. aunt who worked on the Mauretania as a nurse,sometime between the wars. She loved the life, although circumstances had forced her into it initially.

Your grandmother must have had a strong character to be amongst those young and battered men, and to be sailing the seas during such a time.

I worked on the Irish crossing during the Irish troubles. That was bad enough . Young lads travelling across with their unit. Vomit everywhere !!
Posted By: saltytom Re: RMS Queen Elizabeth 1945 - 22nd Aug 2017 7:33am
I think if she were still alive she would say her religion/faith helped her she had spoken of becoming a nun when she was young.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral