Forums
Posted By: granny Granny Pods - 17th Jul 2017 6:53pm

Just been looking at Granny Pods. Seems a good idea for various reasons. A) It could give a place of escape; B) many people are using them as an alternative to care homes for their relatives.

Some seem very expensive, others not so.

Do you think they are a good idea, and a way of saving on care home bills in the future ?

Don't know about planning permission, plumbing, or waste but after the initial outlay they could be quite a useful addition to a home.

or maybe a Shepherd's Hut ? I quite like that idea too, and they don't need planning permission.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Granny Pods - 17th Jul 2017 7:42pm
Well if somebody needs to go into a care home its because they need care...cant see how a posh shed/summerhouse will meet that need.

Assuming the old dear is reasonably healthy and able and there is not a spare room in the house then perhaps granny can have your room or your kids room and they live outside (assuming she can make the stairs.

caravan is an alternative if space allows...both can be cold in winter..good way to see them off sooner and grab the inheritance money!!
Posted By: cools Re: Granny Pods - 17th Jul 2017 7:50pm
Saw a programme ages ago about one of these being built, the lady designed it to how she wanted and it was fabulous. It was at the bottom of her daughters garden and although it was quite pricey she made it happen by selling her own big house and this way she was close to her daughter, everything on one level , and money to help her daughter. As I say the end result was great.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Granny Pods - 17th Jul 2017 8:05pm
What about grandad pods ? I'm finding this thread very sexist smile
Posted By: cools Re: Granny Pods - 17th Jul 2017 8:48pm
Granddad's already have their pods Dilly, called garden sheds,lol..
Posted By: granny Re: Granny Pods - 17th Jul 2017 10:32pm
Originally Posted by Dilly
What about grandad pods ? I'm finding this thread very sexist smile

Grandad's can have a 'Shepherd's Hut' , as previously mentioned. Pay attention, Dilly !

There are also 'Shepherdess Huts' (more sexism) which makes me think.

Remember the stories about shepherds and their sheep, well maybe (when you look at these) it could have been the shepherdesses and not the sheep ? The countryside is a very emotive place to be. wink

Loving them more .

http://www.theyorkshirehutcompany.com/gallery/
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Granny Pods - 17th Jul 2017 10:54pm
Your other option is the Glamping Pods or shepherd hut not on wheels

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=glamping+pod&FORM=HDRSC2
Posted By: granny Re: Granny Pods - 18th Jul 2017 9:59pm

They all look lovely and inviting. Have you seen the price to hire these things ? My goodness ! £90/100 per night for a Shepherds Hut, included in the price is an outside toilet and free bog roll. yipee Who is daft enough to pay that ? 4* hotel with breakfast thrown in is less and a shower.
Posted By: granny Re: Granny Pods - 18th Jul 2017 10:01pm

Just gone completely off track again...back to Granny Pods. Any good for the granny? I assume the answer is 'nice idea but probably not'. smile
Posted By: venice Re: Granny Pods - 18th Jul 2017 10:15pm
Youre paying for the novelty aspect I reckon . I quite like the idea of large caravan in my offsprings garden when the house and garden at home become too much .I think a pod would be too oppressively cramped. . You dont have to be really needy to go into a nursing home fish , not at the beginning anyway. Sometimes you just need someone to check in on you each day to see everything is ok. Once youre past getting out of bed and doing things for yourself , you wont worry where you are as long as the people looking after you are kind.
Posted By: cools Re: Granny Pods - 18th Jul 2017 10:29pm
Have you taken a look at some of these Granny Pods Venice. They more like summer houses or little bungalows. Expect they come in all shapes and sizes but to me if you want to be independent but very close to family and if course you can afford it, many sell their houses which are too big and that's how they do it. Think they a great idea if all the circumstances are right.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Granny Pods - 19th Jul 2017 8:06pm
All very well whilst you are not too much bother.
Posted By: venice Re: Granny Pods - 20th Jul 2017 12:32am
Theres loads on caravan sites that Ive seen cools, but the ones Ive seen would make me claustrophobic - but maybe as you say , there are bigger ones around . If bigger though , there wouldnt be that much difference between them and caravans really , just a more gimmicky shape.

Yes moonstar, thats the rub - as soon as you cant do things for yourself, its a problem .
© Wirral-Wikiwirral