Forums
Posted By: granny Slippers in school ? - 31st Jan 2017 2:31pm
Just viewed a report on the news about a study into school children performing better, if they wear slippers or just socks during there school days.

A twelve month trial has been done in at least one school, which seems to get good results.

That may be the case, but as one child said, "it makes you feel as if you are at home".

That might be so, but children's feet are still developing and forming, sloppy slippers could be more damaging on an all day basis, and be a health and safety issue.

Also, could it be designed to make some of our ethnic friends feel more comfortable ?

Personally, I think all children should wear school shoes and uniforms without relaxing any of the rules that we have now. They need some constructive guidance of formal behaviour.

What next ? Slippers, pyjamas , and sleeping bag ??
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Slippers in school ? - 31st Jan 2017 3:09pm
I agree slippers all day will damage feet. Sensible school shoes or trainers would be best.
In the 1950's at school in New Brighton we had to wear pumps all day probably to prevent noise as the convent was next door. You shook them before you put them on due to the cockroaches which loved to lay eggs in them.
Part of the school was below street level.

When I left school I went a day a week to Childwall College. I could not get over the facilities and and money that had been available to build it after the Victorian building with poor resources we had.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Slippers in school ? - 31st Jan 2017 3:14pm
Hello Granny,I used to wear slippers in school. Usually the teachers on my ar#e smile
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Slippers in school ? - 31st Jan 2017 7:04pm
maybe is was your jammies that did it.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Slippers in school ? - 31st Jan 2017 8:37pm
Originally Posted by Dilly
Hello Granny,I used to wear slippers in school. Usually the teachers on my ar#e smile
raftl :r raftl :love it.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Slippers in school ? - 31st Jan 2017 10:50pm
Just viewed a report on the News about a study into school children performing better, if they wear slippers or just socks during there school days.

I wonder where all these schools are that they studied..Japan?
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Slippers in school ? - 1st Feb 2017 9:52am
In my first and middle schools in the 70s and early 80s we always took our shoes off and spent the day in socks.
Posted By: granny Re: Slippers in school ? - 2nd Feb 2017 1:03am

They must be trying to re-capture it then. Still can't see the H & S Executive being in favour.

There again, we didn't have carpets on our school floors. Just boards .

We had Floor boards, pencils, fountain pen and exercise books. No expense there ! Oh and a bottle of Quink Ink .
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Slippers in school ? - 2nd Feb 2017 8:20am
Fountain pens and Quink ink was very up-market.
We had wooden pens with scratchy nips and cheap watery ink.It was impossible to write neatly without blobs.

When I went to secondary school I was given a lovely Conway Stewart fountain pen with a matching propelling pencil and got Quink ink.It was the best present ever.
Some children also got bikes at this time but my brother and I were happy with our pens. We knew bikes were out of their range and they gave of what they had.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Slippers in school ? - 2nd Feb 2017 8:24am
Might be a non-story.

Lots of primary schools do this, the age group wasn't stated.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral