Forums
Posted By: granny Should sex work be decriminalised ? - 23rd Nov 2016 11:48am

Should sex work be decriminalised in the UK, when considering some of the reasons on this video ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/38073347
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Should sex work be decriminalised ? - 23rd Nov 2016 1:02pm
If it makes it cheaper !!!.

Posted By: venice Re: Should sex work be decriminalised ? - 23rd Nov 2016 2:08pm
Originally Posted by granny

Should sex work be decriminalised in the UK, when considering some of the reasons on this video ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/38073347

Well, starting at the point that no-one in a civilized society should have to sell their body to be able to survive ---

Perhaps yes on the face of it because then maybe the authorities could at least make sure the workers were safer in every respect. I wouldnt have a problem with brothels when discreetly situated and as long as the workers were voluntary - but with the sex slave trade the latter has become very murky, and if sex workers were legal, perhaps the 'slaves' would never be discovered and rescued. (Was going to say the situation was 'swings and roundabouts , but maybe thats too much S&M smile )
Posted By: venice Re: Should sex work be decriminalised ? - 23rd Nov 2016 2:18pm
That should have read --starting AFTER the point
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Should sex work be decriminalised ? - 23rd Nov 2016 4:06pm
I think we all have to "Sell" our bodies to survive in one way or another but I take the point for people forced into it is criminal and slavery.
Does the blame also lie with "men". It seems to be predominantly a female profession because of the male although there has been a shift in last few decades.
To some its just seen as any other commodity with moral and religious boundaries slipping away.
Was in Amsterdam on a rugby tour years and years ago and walked the red light district ...it was so sad to see the women in the windows and any man would have to have been extremely drunk or very desparate to visit some of them. The same could be said of the red light district in Paris (Pigalle). Despite all the glamour and glitz they try to put into it it still has an air of seediness about it.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Should sex work be decriminalised ? - 23rd Nov 2016 10:24pm
Sex-work should absolutely be de-criminalised.

They should have a safe place to work with Health and Safety as a priority. A 'safe' place to work- a 'brothel', if you like but with Security protection and provision of Condoms/ regular GUM screenings and education in such matters.

Some of us may be aware of an establishment in central Birkenhead were grown adults go of their own free will to enjoy 'adult' pleasures that is not what one would call mainstream, yet seemingly consensual. I have not seen anybody moaning about this place here or elsewhere on social media about it?

So, why not the same type establishment for sex-workers and their 'clients?'
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Should sex work be decriminalised ? - 23rd Nov 2016 11:41pm
Starts to get complicated--who runs and pays for the "brothels", how is security provided. How are they inspected, the women/men would be registered and have to pay tax.. Buck Palace got lots of rooms could be renamed after the refurbishments.

Posted By: granny Re: Should sex work be decriminalised ? - 24th Nov 2016 12:34am
Not sure which side of the fence to drop on really.

Yes, there should be some safety in what they do, however if it is only decriminalised, it still doesn't mean there would be the likes of brothels. It could be a business anywhere, not necessarily being government controlled or provided with security. That in turn opens another can of worms.

If brothels are to be made legal , that does not guarantee any woman who wants to be a sex worker employment. Surely it would be as any other job with interviews (and CV's ?) So, no doubt they could revert to behind closed doors again, but the pimps would provide a service and it would not be a criminal offence.

All I can see from that, is bad news and wide open for some terrible abuse .

The other points I don't understand are
a) the woman in the video says she will have to find something else soon as her daughter is getting older and more aware,(so why not now?)
b) why should women consider it acceptable for other women to provide this service to live ?
c) Why do men continue to think 'it's still a mans world' and can do what they like with women ?
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Should sex work be decriminalised ? - 24th Nov 2016 12:38am
working late Granny !!
Posted By: granny Re: Should sex work be decriminalised ? - 24th Nov 2016 1:01am
You and I both,,, as always laugh
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Should sex work be decriminalised ? - 24th Nov 2016 1:35am
Prostitution is not illegal, the woman in the video is choosing to do it in a manner that is illegal, no sympathy from me.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Should sex work be decriminalised ? - 24th Nov 2016 9:14am
Originally Posted by granny
You and I both,,, as always laugh

Yes...think you lasted longer ..were you on the sanatogen !!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral