Forums
Posted By: fish5133 Your latter years on planet earth - 19th Sep 2015 8:49pm
Hopefully not too morbid. Although we never know the moment (suicide or assisted death excepted) a look at obituaries will give an inkling of how many years we may have remaining. I think today was the first time i heard a young child refer to me as an old man ---ouch!. I didnt feel particularly old especially as having just climbed up 100 steps at loggerheads and leaving my wife and son trailing behind. Ok my calf muscles complained a bit as did the lungs but recovery time was just a minute or two.maybe it was the greying hair. Her comment was enough to have me musing the rest of the walk and realising that the trees and the rocks ,already older,will outlive me. I find it interesting how we feel and evalute life when we keep revisiting places. Places we went when we were children then courting and married, then with our own children,then with our children no longer children. Watching other mums and dads with young children enjoying what we once did with our own. Then it sort of hits you-- where have those last 30 odd years gone ---- and realising its borderline if you will make another 30 or 20 or maybe 10. Just thinking of those poor humans fleeing syria we have so many blessings despite the difficult trials life may have thrown at us. Time to take stock and evaluate rest of life. Saw a man of the road with a cracking beard in Neston and thought he has 3 things to worry about whats he going to eat where is he going to sleep and where is he going to crap. The answer to the last two --anywhere. So in life he has only one concern...food. Does have its attraction. Enough ramblings. Stay calm and value what life you have left.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 19th Sep 2015 9:02pm
Not morbid fish, but deep. I try to value what times left and not rubbish my energy on all the negatives in my life that i have had. (Ex husbands etc)
Some days are better than others, except when I have to give details for paperwork like my date if birth, as now the sixties seem ancient, so I find myself whispering it.
Posted By: granny Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 19th Sep 2015 9:43pm
Very philosophical point of view Fish. We are on this earth for a miniscule amount of time. Everything we do will affect someone or something, and once passing a certain milestone we know our days are definitely numbered. You are right when you say we should value every moment. You are right we should be so much more aware of ourselves and our surrounding before we miss out altogether.

So many have such huge weights to bare and yet they nearly always seem to be the happier ones. Pain and suffering makes people stronger and strength gives those people an ability to support others. We all have to suffer in this life to appreciate the good things and the best things in life are free.

Always back to nature and every moment is as precious as the fleeting bloom of a rose or a tear drop on a cheek.

When walking in certain areas such as lanes and overgrown paths, it is always inspiring to think of the footsteps we walk in.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Blueskier Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 19th Sep 2015 9:55pm
Lovely words and sentiments.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 19th Sep 2015 10:43pm
X
Fish
Posted By: venice Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 19th Sep 2015 11:18pm
Spot on fish. Bit of a jolt sometimes isn't it , remembering you're mortal.

Posted By: casper Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 20th Sep 2015 7:24am
Phew just read all these lovely words, I have been thinking along the same lines recently, I am not religious but the Hymn all things bright and beautiful sticks in my mind from the school days, its a pity it takes the latter years to make us take stock, how wise we would be should this new found wisdom have came earlier in life, love the poem granny.
Posted By: palemoon Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 20th Sep 2015 8:13am
I often have mixed thoughts on this kind of subject. Recently, I had a 'milestone' birthday and when you get to a certain age you cannot help wondering about how much longer you have left. This year has been a particularly grim one for me, losing a couple of old childhood mates and and a few members of a club I belong to. It becomes hard to ignore the obituary column in The Globe and hardly a week goes by without me recognising someone's name.
But, what is the alternative? Old age is not all it's cracked up to be and the older you get the less desirable it appears to be. Aches, pains, memory loss, inability to perform the most simple of tasks, eye sight and hearing deterioration and lack of energy.
Some of us are more fortunate that others and I am happy to admit that, at the present time, I fall into that category. But, if or when things start to go downhill, I'll be faced with a conundrum that I doubt if I'll know the answer to until the time comes. So, I will bury my head in the sand regarding the inevitable and keep with the old adage of taking each day at a time and enjoying life while I can.

Posted By: venice Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 20th Sep 2015 8:47am
Originally Posted by casper

its a pity it takes the latter years to make us take stock, how wise we would be should this new found wisdom have came earlier in life, love the poem granny.

I wonder if in the future they will find a way of transferring experiences/knowledge/ and therefore widsom, from one brain to another , much the same as in the Sci-fi 's .You never know! I won't be alive to benefit, but if they ever learn how to transfer skills , I would have wanted a brain stream from a great orator. Always longed to be able to speak powerfully and fluently. The best local speaker that impressed me most was Vikki Moore (sadly deceased )-the girl from Southport who campaigned against cruel animal festivals in Spain.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 20th Sep 2015 10:48am
Loved reading this Fish,
And thanks to Granny for the poem x
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 20th Sep 2015 11:42am
Life goes through different phases, I find each one more fulfilling than the previous mainly because I do more out of choice and less out of necessity.

Physically its pretty much up to the individual, if you keep moving your muscles will be able to keep moving for far more years, the only annoying aspect is the bones getting brittler so that 8 foot jump you may have risked at one time is now a no-go.

Regrets? Thousands of them but that is the past. Strangely I'm not a futurist, I don't look forward much, I don't like disappointment so I don't build my hopes up and don't set targets, try to take things as they come ..... but that doesn't stop me trying to put the world to rights wink
Posted By: chriskay Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 20th Sep 2015 12:37pm
Well, I'm probably nearer the end than most of you; not simply because of my age but because of the condition of my lungs: in fact I'm not sure I'll survive the winter. In any case, as I've previously indicated, I have at my disposal a certain drug which will ensure that, should I choose to use it, will give me a peaceful exit and this fact enables me to live without worry. I don't understand our politicians who have recently thrown out an assisted dying bill by a majority of 200, despite the fact that polls show that 82% of the population wanted it.
When it comes to what you can or should do as you age, my main suggestion is that you should talk to those close to you: how many times have you heard people say "Oh, I wish I'd asked dad about that", or similar. For me, it's also important that they should know what you'd like to be done when you die; if they know, it's one thing they don't have to decide or argue over.
In my case, I've found it helpful to become familiar with the place where my ashes will go. It's a place I remember from childhood where I was always happy: well, I probably wasn't, but it's the memory which matters.
Nothing can remove the pain of those who love you when you die, but try to ease the process for them and don't leave them saying "Oh, I wish..."
Posted By: venice Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 20th Sep 2015 3:47pm
Fingers crossed for a mild Winter for you then Chris.
Posted By: casper Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 20th Sep 2015 3:48pm
Far from being morbid fish you have put a spring in my step, its nice to know there are others that feel as I do, I was feeling a bit sorry for myself over the weekend arthritis felt like hibernating, I think its hard to realise we are getting older and it comes as a shock when you find you cant do some of the things you once did and it brings that dread on of maybe having to rely on others as we get on and weary, take care.
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 20th Sep 2015 4:19pm
@fish
enjoyed your post and following replies. Seems we all have a lot in
common.

@chris
your post prompted me to have a "lets sort this out" with the Mrs.
So now we're both on the same page. Fortunately, we both want the
same thing. No fus, keep it simple. Eat out with family after
cremation. Remains scattered at each others places we loved.

Cheers
peter
Posted By: cools Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 20th Sep 2015 4:53pm
So sad reading all the posts here, none of us get a say in when we go so yes get your house in order then try and live for the moment. Think positive Chris and keep joining in on the forumn. x
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 20th Sep 2015 5:53pm
Fascinating posts everone ..words can be powerful for the good. Lovely poem granny. Sorry about your failing lungs chris...must be scary at times. My present end of life plan is just to leave one skipful of junk for wife and kids to throw. I suppose following on from cost of funerals posts not to be a financial burden to family come the day.
Posted By: goodoldphil Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 20th Sep 2015 8:03pm
An interesting post Fish, it is always good to find that other people have the same thoughts as myself on our mortality. I am of an age where it is doubtful if I have many years left but I decide from time to time to have a sort out of my affairs only to find later that I haven't got round to it yet. Maybe I should write a note to my family apologising for anything I have not done - in anticipation of my going before I get everything sorted out. Thanks for the poem posted by Granny it was very evocative, I have retraced the steps I took with my children then with my grandchildren and now I am taking out my great gandkids to the same places
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 21st Sep 2015 11:10am
I just check the obituaries in the Globe and if I'm not in them I go out for a pint.
Just enjoy life and get the most out of it you can, you only get one go at it. Hang on in there Chris, see you at the next meet.
I'm 73 today so I do know a bit about knocking on. Roll on.

oldman
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 21st Sep 2015 11:26am
Happy Birthday Bandy ! Blow all ballast and have pint - or two !
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 21st Sep 2015 11:53am
Happy Birthday Bandy, enjoy life, drink it while it's fizzy.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 21st Sep 2015 12:59pm
[Linked Image] Happy birthday Bandy x
Posted By: cools Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 21st Sep 2015 1:27pm
Happy birthday Bandy, sink a few pints x
Posted By: granny Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 21st Sep 2015 3:02pm
This has cheered us up a bit.

Happy Birthday Bandy, with best wishes for a great year ahead.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 21st Sep 2015 3:37pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
I just check the obituaries in the Globe and if I'm not in them I go out for a pint.
Just enjoy life and get the most out of it you can, you only get one go at it. Hang on in there Chris, see you at the next meet.
I'm 73 today so I do know a bit about knocking on. Roll on.

oldman

Only 73? get some in. grin Happy birthday matey.
Posted By: buddy Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 21st Sep 2015 7:12pm
All the best Bandy - hope you have a good one
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 22nd Sep 2015 6:39pm
Thanks a lot for that folks. I did have a nice day and also a couple of tots of Nelsons Blood for good measure. Roll on the next one. Have a nice day y'all.

party
Posted By: plf12 Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 24th Sep 2015 12:31pm
If you could give a tip for life what would it be?
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 24th Sep 2015 12:58pm
Originally Posted by plf12
Never force a fart.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 24th Sep 2015 1:00pm
Originally Posted by ludwigvan
Never force a fart.
raftl behave Ludi.
Posted By: granny Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 24th Sep 2015 1:04pm
Originally Posted by ludwigvan
Never force a fart.

Why not , too much pork ??

laffin

Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 24th Sep 2015 1:13pm
Granny, am I detecting an innuendo here? Surely not from our dear sweet Granny!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 24th Sep 2015 1:41pm
I doubt if Granny gives much credence to innuendos Lud. You would understand what I mean if you saw her. Most afternoons she's gentle rocking to & fro in her rocking chair on the veranda of her house overlooking the route out from Thingwall corner to the Badlands of Heswall. A picture of serenity, knitting another Kevlar bullet proof jacket. Under her lace pinny is Old Bettsy, her blunderbuss, WITH the safety catch off. Best not to ruffle her feathers!
Posted By: granny Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 24th Sep 2015 2:25pm
...and what spyware is that attributed to, Gadget man ? Have you got one of those 'drone' things ?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 24th Sep 2015 3:28pm
A helium filled haggis with my old Kodak Instamatic dangling below ! wink
Posted By: chriskay Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 24th Sep 2015 3:47pm
Originally Posted by granny
...and what spyware is that attributed to, Gadget man ? Have you got one of those 'drone' things ?

If you see one of those drone things, granny, just deploy the blunderbuss.
Posted By: granny Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 24th Sep 2015 5:43pm

Get yourself a blunderbuss, and join Wikiwirral. It will either kill you or keep you going.

Serious answer, appreciate the little things.
Posted By: dingle Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 25th Sep 2015 7:22am
You guys are so funny. I have just spent 4 weeks in hospital and rehab after a knee replacement. I am not going anywhere until I get my moneys worth.
Posted By: granny Re: Your latter years on planet earth - 25th Sep 2015 11:04am
Welcome Dingle, hope you are feeling better.

This should keep you amused. All the old farts memories.... keep going and don't fall over laughing !

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/790860/1.html
© Wirral-Wikiwirral