Forums
Posted By: venice Golly,gosh, the bin? - 4th Aug 2015 3:48pm
So what's the position for old handmade toy golly dolls now ? Is it strictly a bin only job or the charity fabric weight sacks?
Posted By: joeblogs Re: Golly,gosh, the bin? - 4th Aug 2015 3:57pm
well all white dolls should be banded as well,next year you wont be able to have own anything a certain color eu madness,i do what i want and abide to my laws
Posted By: granny Re: Golly,gosh, the bin? - 4th Aug 2015 5:49pm
We can still buy Golly Dollies, so sit him in a chair and keep him for posterity . Just don't sit him in your window. smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Golly,gosh, the bin? - 4th Aug 2015 7:00pm
I have never understood why Golly dolls are offensive.

I don't think I owned one as a child- were they something to do with marmalade?
Posted By: venice Re: Golly,gosh, the bin? - 4th Aug 2015 8:23pm
Im told they are a symbol of enslavement of Africans. Ive got old
Noddy books with the golly in the stories, and the golly didnt play second fiddle to the other toys, he was absolutely an equal amongst them . All this association stuff seems to be quite recent.
Yes Rude, the golly was the trademark of Robertsons jams ,and a much loved metal badge.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Golly,gosh, the bin? - 4th Aug 2015 8:35pm
you can still buy Golly toy dolls on ebay and collect them at Argos
Posted By: cools Re: Golly,gosh, the bin? - 4th Aug 2015 8:40pm
And when Noddy and Big Ears got into a bed together did we ever think anything of it, morecambe and wise used to do that also, Bert and Ernie off Sesamee St. We didn't give it a second thought and why would we, then political correctness reared its ugly head.....
Posted By: granny Re: Golly,gosh, the bin? - 4th Aug 2015 8:50pm
So far as I am aware, there is no legislation against a golly dolly. The main point of disrespect came from their original name 'golliwog'. The 'wog' being the problem. Having said that it was explained to me once that it was abbreviation for Western Oriental Gentleman, so not quite so disrespectful, if that is true.

Posted By: snowshoes Re: Golly,gosh, the bin? - 4th Aug 2015 9:28pm
Hmmm....

[youtube]kZ6h0kyqSRk[/youtube]
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Golly,gosh, the bin? - 4th Aug 2015 11:56pm
We should start calling people "Camerons" as an insult and hope that it becomes a banned name as well.

I was brought up with golliwogs as a rag doll, jam, chewy and character in books - nobody I knew accepted it as anything other than it was, yes it could be used as an insult but so can any character or word if its used that way.

The most perverse thing is golliwogs became virtually a banned item, but at the same time manufacturers of dolls where getting criticised for only having white dolls.

I notice the Scouts still have woggles though I'm sure that was contentious at one time.

I find it a load of hornswoggle!
Posted By: snowhite Re: Golly,gosh, the bin? - 5th Aug 2015 7:45am
The golliwog, golliwogg or golly was a black character in children's books in the late 19th century usually depicted as a type of rag doll. It was reproduced, both by commercial and hobby toy-makers as a children's toy called the "golliwog", and had great popularity in Europe and Australia into the 1970s. The doll is characterised by black skin, eyes rimmed in white, clown lips and frizzy hair. Though home-made golliwogs were sometimes female, the golliwog was generally male. For this reason, in the period following World War II, the golliwog was seen, along with the teddy bear, as a suitable soft toy for a young boy.

The image of the doll has become the subject of heated debate. While some see the golliwog as a cherished cultural artifact and childhood tradition, others argue that the golliwog is a destructive instance of racism against people of African descent, along with pickaninnies, minstrels, mammy figures, and other caricatures, and it has been described as "the least known of the major anti-Black caricatures in the United States".[1] In recent years, changing political attitudes with regard to race have reduced the popularity and sales of golliwogs as toys. Manufacturers who have used golliwogs as a motif have either withdrawn them as an icon, or changed the name. In particular, the association of the golliwog with the pejorative term "wog" has resulted in use of alternative names such as "golly" and "golly doll".
Posted By: lincle Re: Golly,gosh, the bin? - 5th Aug 2015 8:01am
My late Father made me a Golly doll when he was in the army fighting for his country during the 2nd World war.He lived through 2 World wars & there isn't a snowballs chance that I would destroy something I've cherished for more than 67 years
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Golly,gosh, the bin? - 5th Aug 2015 8:27am
Back in my quondam days when dinosaurs roamed the earth, we used to collect the paper golliwogs off the jam jars and send them off to be exchanged for enamelled badges of golliwogs playing various musical instruments, some children had their coat lapels covered with them and they wore them with pride. In those days of innocence there was no ulterior motive attached to wearing them, just the joy and expectation of the postman delivering them and then showing them off to your friends. But as usual the barmy PC brigade ruined it by making them seem racist, which they weren't and they aren't .
Posted By: casper Re: Golly,gosh, the bin? - 5th Aug 2015 8:38am
Political correctness, another name for looking for something that's not there, the more we highlight something it then becomes an issue, coloured, blackboard, ba ba blacksheep people have used these words or rhymes on a regular basis for years without giving them a second thought, are they offensive do they mean anything other than being descriptive? then we are told that these words are actually racist and mean something else, we are being force fed this political claptrap thus causing disharmony where non exists.
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Golly,gosh, the bin? - 5th Aug 2015 8:38am
did you get one of these golliwog badges?

Attached picture ngbbs4cc5db89adb9d.jpg
Posted By: granny Re: Golly,gosh, the bin? - 5th Aug 2015 8:59am
If anyone has got any, check them out on Ebay. Some are going for a fortune !
Posted By: venice Re: Golly,gosh, the bin? - 5th Aug 2015 10:12am
Originally Posted by lincle
My late Father made me a Golly doll when he was in the army fighting for his country during the 2nd World war.He lived through 2 World wars & there isn't a snowballs chance that I would destroy something I've cherished for more than 67 years

Neither would I if this Golly had any memories for me. He was just a charity shop buy at some point in the past , given to my child , and he just never caught my offsprings attention.

Your story lincle reminded me of a gorgeous Teddy we had here for many years ,made from old sheepskin gloves. He was only about 8" high and just one of items made by my uncle during the years following his exit from a prison camp (where crafts became a sanity saving habit for so many starving,damaged, long term inmates) .

The uncle had an estranged ex wife and young daughter whom he didnt see after the post war divorce , through no fault of his own. Previous gifts sent to the child didnt get passed on. Contact was lost. The bear sat in his house unplayed with .

Roll forward 30 years , the bear came to me . I kept it as a treasured 'ornament' allowing only supervised 'loving' from little hands in my house.

Roll forward another 30yrs - Im helping my aged mother contribute to an online project on 1920's daily life in a mining village .A couple of years later , I get an email from a lady who is helping her friend get in touch with her lost fathers family , and my mothers maiden name and history,found on the site, 'fits'.

We exchange information to make sure , before her friend is told. The outcome was that her friend, my first cousin, made contact with me , and I was delighted to be able to give her the only physical links she ever had with her father, some photos, a recording of his voice , and one beautiful as new teddy bear , which got the hugging of his life ,and got taken to his true home , at last.
THE END
Posted By: lincle Re: Golly,gosh, the bin? - 5th Aug 2015 10:22am
That's a lovely story with a happy ending Venice.Thanks for sharing it
Posted By: cools Re: Golly,gosh, the bin? - 5th Aug 2015 10:41am
Arh that's really nice Venice..
Posted By: venice Re: Golly,gosh, the bin? - 5th Aug 2015 10:46am
Originally Posted by granny
If anyone has got any, check them out on Ebay. Some are going for a fortune !

Ours although well made, isnt that attractive Granny, I think part of the appeal is the normal shock of wild 'hair' and big eyes, all of which makes them look cute . This one has a knitted thick ribbed close hairstyle , small button eyes , and I dont reckon he is that old - nor are his green lame duds exactly traditional either !! Not in the sufficiently good condition Id require to risk my Ebay rating for. Doubt he has any monetary value at all anyway.
Posted By: venice Re: Golly,gosh, the bin? - 5th Aug 2015 10:55am
Originally Posted by snowshoes
Hmmm....

[youtube]kZ6h0kyqSRk[/youtube]

ABSOLUTE GOLD Snowshoes !!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral