Forums
Posted By: granny New Face on the £20 Note - 23rd May 2015 9:10am
Who do you think should be the new face on the £20 note ?

Criteria : Visual artists include architects, artists, ceramicists, craftspeople, designers, fashion designers, filmmakers, photographers, printmakers and sculptors.

Place your vote here. Lets' represent Wirral!

My choice is Norman Thelwell...

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/characters/nominationform.aspx

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: New Face on the £20 Note - 23rd May 2015 10:55am
Its got to Bevan, the founder of the NHS as a constant reminder to the idiots in parliament CLICKY

[Linked Image]
Posted By: granny Re: New Face on the £20 Note - 23rd May 2015 11:04am

Visual artists include architects, artists, ceramicists, craftspeople, designers, fashion designers, filmmakers, photographers, printmakers and sculptors. smile

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: New Face on the £20 Note - 23rd May 2015 11:15am
He was definitely an artist, designer and architect - perhaps not in the meaning you intended. He designed and built the NHS and was a leader in the art of politics.
Posted By: granny Re: New Face on the £20 Note - 23rd May 2015 11:20am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
He was definitely an artist, designer and architect - perhaps not in the meaning you intended. He designed and built the NHS and was a leader in the art of politics.

It's the criteria stipulated by the Bank of England, like John Constable, William Morris, or Brunel.
Posted By: YinYang Re: New Face on the £20 Note - 23rd May 2015 3:41pm
George Stubbs, perhaps?

Maybe not from Wirral, but Liverpool, and one of the greatest animal artists of all time. Looks uncannily like me too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Stubbs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/artists/george-stubbs

Posted By: granny Re: New Face on the £20 Note - 23rd May 2015 4:48pm
George Stubbs was good. His paintings of horses are amazing but his others are just as good. The painting of 'A Clumber Spaniel' (on the link) is beautiful.

What funny hair you have Yin Yang smile
Posted By: davew3 Re: New Face on the £20 Note - 23rd May 2015 7:39pm
Sir William Beveridge should be on the £20 note his 1942 report on Social Insurance and welfare,the wartime coalition in 1944 used the report to get discussions going on how to implement the changes and how they would fit in with post war idea's, Labour won the Election and in 1946 passed a bill to start the NHS, which came into effect in 1948, if the Conservatives had won the election after the war they would have done the same,even the Liberals would have made it happen, I wonder what a £20 note would look like if they put all those faces who were in those discussions, knowing that the war would have to end sometime and the country had a lot of post war planning to do
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: New Face on the £20 Note - 23rd May 2015 7:57pm
Ainsley Harriott grin

http://metro.co.uk/2015/05/22/there...-on-20-notes-and-its-doing-well-5209864/
Posted By: granny Re: New Face on the £20 Note - 23rd May 2015 9:40pm
He's not dead is he ?
Posted By: Dodgy_Bob Re: New Face on the £20 Note - 24th May 2015 12:35am
Fred Dibnah MBE for me. A self taught craftsman, architect, designer the likes of which won't be seen again. The emobodiment of the northern working man of yesteryear.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New Face on the £20 Note - 24th May 2015 6:49am
Originally Posted by Dodgy_Bob
Fred Dibnah MBE for me. A self taught craftsman, architect, designer the likes of which won't be seen again. The emobodiment of the northern working man of yesteryear.

withthat Fred was a commonsense Engineer - a rarity these days. An engaging character as well. This world could do with a few more like him!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: New Face on the £20 Note - 24th May 2015 12:05pm
withthat Yes, I'd vote for Fred as well, certainly a visual artist, it was a shame the insurance companies clamped down on his performances. If buildings and chimneys must be demolished, Fred's performance was the best tribute possible to those great structures.
Posted By: chriskay Re: New Face on the £20 Note - 24th May 2015 1:19pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
Originally Posted by Dodgy_Bob

withthat Fred was a commonsense Engineer - a rarity these days. An engaging character as well. This world could do with a few more like him!

Pipe down you: only English residents are allowed to vote grin If you want someone for your foreign notes (although I noticed yours were readily accepted here), the it would surely be Charles Rennie Mackintosh. I'm so pleased to know that the Glasgow School of Art is not beyond repair.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New Face on the £20 Note - 24th May 2015 1:46pm
Yes Chris, Charles Rennie Mackintosh - the inventor of the raincoat. Great guy !! shocked
© Wirral-Wikiwirral