Forums
Posted By: Bizzybee1 Luck - 25th Jan 2014 10:10am
Is there such a thing as luck? I like to think that I am a logical and realistic person but I must admit that I know people who do appear to be lucky and others unlucky. I am not talking about big things, like winning the lottery, just the everyday occurrences during their lives.
Posted By: bizzybee Re: Luck - 25th Jan 2014 11:39am
For most of us it balances out throughout our lives. Some who are lucky enough to be in a job they really enjoy can be in a terrible marriage. Someone with lots of money can be in bad health. But I do know what you mean about extreme examples. I have a friend who has been broken into twice, has had her car damaged, three times, in a public car park and no matter where or when she goes on holiday she has awful weather. My husband plays snooker with a chap who, by all accounts, is an excellent player but by his own admittance is very, very stuffy. This guy inherited a load of money from a relative, in New Zealand, who he had never met and has never had a mortgage to pay as, many years ago, his wife's parents won the pools and bought them a house.Albeit only a small one but it set him up.
Posted By: venice Re: Luck - 25th Jan 2014 2:28pm
Originally Posted by bizzybee
For most of us it balances out throughout our lives. Some who are lucky enough to be in a job they really enjoy can be in a terrible marriage. Someone with lots of money can be in bad health. But I do know what you mean about extreme examples. I have a friend who has been broken into twice, has had her car damaged, three times, in a public car park and no matter where or when she goes on holiday she has awful weather. My husband plays snooker with a chap who, by all accounts, is an excellent player but by his own admittance is very, very stuffy. This guy inherited a load of money from a relative, in New Zealand, who he had never met and has never had a mortgage to pay as, many years ago, his wife's parents won the pools and bought them a house.Albeit only a small one but it set him up.

withthat Absolutely.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Luck - 25th Jan 2014 4:35pm
Think the question also relates to the question of did we just get here by random evolution or "God" or a "god" with some control over destiny and events.
In one sense we could all say we are lucky to be here in that a random sequence of evolutionary events just happened by chance to work to produce us--that is- all the dice rolled the right way and kept rolling the right way till hey presto!

We often attribute luck to purely statistical reasoning. Like theres nothing lucky about Mr A winning millions on lottery, however if he wins it the following week we might think its lucky or rigged.

I was carer for my late father and the day he had to go into a home due to me no longer being able to care for him I received a phone call offering me a job I had appllied to almost a year earlier. As a person of faith I attributed that not to luck.
Posted By: granny Re: Luck - 26th Jan 2014 12:00am
Not sure if there is any such thing as being lucky or unlucky. These are words resulting from happiness or unhappiness.
I believe we are directed and given choices, and whatever path we choose to take at any given time, can lead to sometimes good things and sometimes bad things, but ultimately, we are our own destiny.
Some people have a wealth of good fortune and some bad fortune and some of which must be attributed to outside criteria, e.g. eventually getting a job after being unemployed. The decision was made by someone else due to your own achievements.
Apart from winning money, I think most events in our lives do involve other people who are a part of what happens to us.
We nearly all have a fair amount of suffering and sadness at some point in our lives, we have to experience these things to understand others, but that is not being unlucky.
People who become depressed seem to have more problems on their shoulders( for them they are) Someone else would skip through the same problems.
Gambling is a choice made, some may win and others loose but I can't see that as luck, as it's a game played with a view to winning. If you should loose, well that was the risk you took, not unlucky.
Bad health is different. It could be attributed to the lifestyle we chose but it could also be attributed to many other things. Those who recover should see it as advancement in medical science given by another who chose their own path and resulting in happiness for others, not luck. Those who don't recover, I would say have reached their final cross roads. Which in turn causes sadness and suffering.

We are a part of a whole.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral