Forums
Posted By: Sneezy War Veterans - 15th Nov 2013 8:13pm
Jason Manford has just made a valid point........How sad that yet another veteran has died and the nursing home, or just someone who knows of the death, has to ask for people to attend his funeral as no one else is going. It is lovely that complete strangers attend the funeral and give them a good and respectable send off. How unfortunate though that these men & women aren't reminded that they are heroes whilst their still alive. I wonder if there is a way of finding out if any veterans are in homes in our area that maybe don't get many or any visitors ? Just thought it would be nice if somehow we could show our appreciation for what these people have done for our country before they die.
Posted By: granny Re: War Veterans - 15th Nov 2013 8:44pm
What a lovely idea Sneezy. Maybe the British Legion would be able to help with information .
Posted By: Anonymous Re: War Veterans - 15th Nov 2013 8:44pm
Originally Posted by Sneezy
Jason Manford has just made a valid point........How sad that yet another veteran has died and the nursing home, or just someone who knows of the death, has to ask for people to attend his funeral as no one else is going. It is lovely that complete strangers attend the funeral and give them a good and respectable send off. How unfortunate though that these men & women aren't reminded that they are heroes whilst their still alive. I wonder if there is a way of finding out if any veterans are in homes in our area that maybe don't get many or any visitors ? Just thought it would be nice if somehow we could show our appreciation for what these people have done for our country before they die.

THAT is one of the best posts that's been on wiki in a long time. Well done Sneezy. A brilliant idea! We owe them BIG TIME and we should tell them that before they pass on!
Posted By: Sneezy Re: War Veterans - 15th Nov 2013 10:03pm
Exactly...we always leave it too late to say something !!
Posted By: Uffda Re: War Veterans - 16th Nov 2013 3:47pm
While I completely support war veterans being supported, there are lots of elderly people in homes who don't get any visitors. I know in the home my neighbour was in before she recently passed away, there were residents who never got any visitors. When I used to visit my neighbour, you could tell who didn't get any visitors and they were desperate for any attention. If anyone is interested, I'd suggest approaching your local residential/nursing home and speaking to the staff. It would only have to be a commitment for half an hour a week or so and you would get so much back. I loved hearing stories of my neighbour when she was in the Land Army.
Posted By: Candlyfloss Re: War Veterans - 16th Nov 2013 6:05pm
Great thread this Sneezy.Its shocking how many old poeple live on there own and dont talk to no one in weeks.
Posted By: ianbx1 Re: War Veterans - 16th Nov 2013 6:23pm
If you contact Age UK Wirral, they actually have a One to One Befriending service for socially isolated older people and are always looking for volunteers. They only ask for a couple of hours of your time per week but I know it makes a MAJOR difference to the older person that is befriended.
Posted By: Sneezy Re: War Veterans - 16th Nov 2013 7:15pm
Exactly Uffda, I was just using the veterans as an example, but yes there must be many many old and lonely people out there, at least in some way the ones in homes do have a bit of company. It really makes me sad to think of someone not having anyone to speak to day after day.
Thank You ianbx1, I will definitely be looking into your suggestion....I can feel a mission coming on !! yomama
Posted By: Candlyfloss Re: War Veterans - 17th Nov 2013 5:49pm
Are there checks made on you for example CRB,Am eased if this is needed.
Posted By: Uffda Re: War Veterans - 17th Nov 2013 6:08pm
Hi Candyfloss, I don't think they would want a CRB check if you are just going into a residential home as they have communal lounges where you could visit but if you were visiting someone in their own home as part of Age Concern for example, I think they would cover themselves by having you checked.
At least people in homes have the other residents and the staff to speak to. I had got to know my neighbour eighteen years ago as I realised that she had no car and could only walk to a miserable little corner shop for her weekly shopping so I offered to take her to Tescos when I did my weekly shop. It can be something as simple as that - noticing what your elderly neighbours might need and looking out for them. It doesn't have to be a huge commitment.
Posted By: Cobby Re: War Veterans - 17th Nov 2013 7:09pm
TBH, I'd be very surprised if organisations like Age UK didn't want an enhanced CRB check doing - volunteers would be working with extremely vulnerable people, it would be very easy for someone to gain their trust, get them to tell them the PIN for their bank account and that's their savings gone frown
Posted By: ianbx1 Re: War Veterans - 17th Nov 2013 9:18pm
With regards to the One to One Befriending carried out by Age UK Wirral volunteers, it is a safeguarding issue. As Cobby says, these volunteers have to have a DBS check as the older people they visit are regarded as vulnerable people (although under the new rules that have replaced CRB checks ... DBS checks, they are no longer called vulnerable adults) so the volunteers have to have an enhanced DBS check, these are FREE of charge and only take around a week to come back. I have to say, I have never had a volunteer walk away because of this, most see the need for it and are happy to fill in the required form.
Posted By: granny Re: War Veterans - 18th Nov 2013 10:43am
It has to be worth putting out feelers to various charities, to find out what is required from different organisations.
Last week , I completed my course on ' listening skills', which wasn't anything major or difficult, just different proceedures to be followed with regard to engaging with people. I will be using those skills specifically for hospital visits to the sick, who are probably in much the same situation as others in 'care homes'.
For long enough I have hoped to do something worthwhile in the work of charity , but most seem to require degrees or experience in various fields. Anyway, took the bull by the horns, mentioned it to someone and was pointed in the right direction.
Lesson learnt, ...if we are serious about doing something, it is always best to seek from reliable scources.
Posted By: Candlyfloss Re: War Veterans - 18th Nov 2013 12:39pm
Originally Posted by Uffda
Hi Candyfloss, I don't think they would want a CRB check if you are just going into a residential home as they have communal lounges where you could visit but if you were visiting someone in their own home as part of Age Concern for example, I think they would cover themselves by having you checked.
At least people in homes have the other residents and the staff to speak to. I had got to know my neighbour eighteen years ago as I realised that she had no car and could only walk to a miserable little corner shop for her weekly shopping so I offered to take her to Tescos when I did my weekly shop. It can be something as simple as that - noticing what your elderly neighbours might need and looking out for them. It doesn't have to be a huge commitment.
Okay thanks its a thing i would be interested in and its the right time of year with xmas comming up.Am off for two weeks break so i shall look into it .I will keep all you nice guys updated.
Posted By: Candlyfloss Re: War Veterans - 18th Nov 2013 12:45pm
Originally Posted by granny
It has to be worth putting out feelers to various charities, to find out what is required from different organisations.
Last week , I completed my course on ' listening skills', which wasn't anything major or difficult, just different proceedures to be followed with regard to engaging with people. I will be using those skills specifically for hospital visits to the sick, who are probably in much the same situation as others in 'care homes'.
For long enough I have hoped to do something worthwhile in the work of charity , but most seem to require degrees or experience in various fields. Anyway, took the bull by the horns, mentioned it to someone and was pointed in the right direction.
Lesson learnt, ...if we are serious about doing something, it is always best to seek from reliable scources.
Good point Granny.Thats why i asked if a CRB was needed.Am cool if they need one.I can get references if needed.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: War Veterans - 18th Nov 2013 1:21pm
A friend of mine lives in Riverside Housing where there are a lot of older folks and now and again he puts on a music show playing requests (all for free).Since this topic I've thought how nice it could be if someone could show them old pics that are from wiki either by a projector linked to a laptop or a laptop linked to their main tv to show pics on the laptop or those online through wikiwirral
We might also gain from jogging their memories - gaining their stories and them rooting out some treasured photos
Posted By: granny Re: War Veterans - 18th Nov 2013 1:47pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
A friend of mine lives in Riverside Housing where there are a lot of older folks and now and again he puts on a music show playing requests (all for free).Since this topic I've thought how nice it could be if someone could show them old pics that are from wiki either by a projector linked to a laptop or a laptop linked to their main tv to show pics on the laptop or those online through wikiwirral
We might also gain from jogging their memories - gaining their stories and them rooting out some treasured photos

Could you do that Derek ? I reckon you would be very good at it, and your friend could maybe create the opening needed.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: War Veterans - 18th Nov 2013 2:07pm
I did suggest it (anyway to supply the pics )to someone who does visits to old folks homes and reads poetry for them.
I may make some enquiries locally to where I live.
Maybe do a Birkenhead pubs show.
Will have to ask the wikiwirral tech guys how to set one up and ask Mark if any wiki pics are under copyright

I believe bandicoot does bingo calling at one
Posted By: granny Re: War Veterans - 18th Nov 2013 2:32pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
I did suggest it (anyway to supply the pics )to someone who does visits to old folks homes and reads poetry for them.
I may make some enquiries locally to where I live.
Maybe do a Birkenhead pubs show.
Will have to ask the wikiwirral tech guys how to set one up and ask Mark if any wiki pics are under copyright

I believe bandicoot does bingo calling at one

thumbsup Good for you. Sneezy or someone may join you, wouldn't that be brill?
Posted By: Cobby Re: War Veterans - 18th Nov 2013 4:11pm
Residential care homes have (or ought to have) an activities coordinator, they'd probably be the ideal person to talk to about organising something like that. Sounds a great idea, I'd have thought they'd jump at the opportunity!
Posted By: Sneezy Re: War Veterans - 18th Nov 2013 5:30pm
Ahhh.....I'm touched everyone's coming up with ideas and advice, here's to making smeone's day a bit brighter yipee
Posted By: ianbx1 Re: War Veterans - 18th Nov 2013 7:30pm
0151 653 4404 will get you in touch with the Volunteer Support Manager at Age UK Wirral if any of you are interested in One to One Befriending, no degrees or qualifications needed just the desire to make a BIG difference in the life of a socially isolated older person (and a couple of hours a week to spare).
© Wirral-Wikiwirral