Forums
Posted By: granny What a lovely summer - 4th Sep 2013 8:13pm
What a lovely summer we have had this year. With that in mind, and having just seen the pictures Pinzgauer has posted of his swallows, it brought to mind a few missing regulars from the natural world.
So far this year, I have hardly seen:

1) a fly/blue bottle
2)not one ladybird,
3)only two wasps,
4)a number of bees( not very many) earlier in the summer, which seem to have disappeared now.
5)No flying ants
6)about half a dozen swallows, when there used to be two dozen or more
7)no greenfly
8)no crows
These differnt species have been fairly regular visitors to my garden over the past 13 years.

on the good side...

1)masses of beautiful butterflies
2)a group of hedge sparrows (about 10) all together.
3)plenty of blackbirds

Can anyone else give an idea as to how things have changed in their area, it may be quite interesting?

Posted By: Sallybear Re: What a lovely summer - 4th Sep 2013 9:00pm
I agree it's been a wonderful summer, and I've not seen many wasps at all, but plenty of bees and a nest of them too. Have seen plenty of flying ants on a few occasions but no Mossies. We have been plagued by them for the last 4 years living here, not being able to open windows in the evening but I have seen only a single one. Not that I am complaining.

No crows also but LOADS of seagulls, noisy ones.
Posted By: guitarlad Re: What a lovely summer - 4th Sep 2013 9:04pm
Better still this Summer weather is going to last untill the end of September.Alot of outdoor events were held in the Wirral this year.Makes all the difference when everyone is out and about in the sun.Wiki members photos of butterflies etc were amazing.Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Christelle Re: What a lovely summer - 4th Sep 2013 9:42pm
I love the summer, can't beat sun bathing in my back garden on the lounger with a glass of wine.
Posted By: nidgynoo Re: What a lovely summer - 4th Sep 2013 9:52pm
We have plenty of wasps in Willaston if you want them :))
Posted By: Christelle Re: What a lovely summer - 4th Sep 2013 9:57pm
Not seen hornets in a long time, used to see them every summer.
Posted By: pegsgirl Re: What a lovely summer - 4th Sep 2013 9:59pm
Have loved this summer its been and still is lovely.
As for flies they have drove me mad!! Having all my windows and French doors open they have been flying round my room all the time, so much so I bought one of those horrid plastic door blind things, you know the multi coloured plastic strips that just flap about.
We have enjoyed all the birds in the garden, blue tits and a family of sparrows using the garden as a bird Olympics trial arena!!
Its lovely to smell all the BBQ's, see the families out together in the park. I love the fact that the days are longer and I can sit out later. The tv is hardly watched as you get out more.
I dont mind a really cold winter if it means a lovely long summer too. This year we holidayed in Cornwall (normally go abroad) the weather was glorious, the beaches stunning, and the scenery breathtaking.

I do love our seasons!

Posted By: venice Re: What a lovely summer - 4th Sep 2013 10:00pm
Definite increase in Buzzards ,Magpies,Goldfinches and Blackbirds around here. No reduction in white fly , but less greenfly and wasps. Millions of ordinary ants have ant hilled all over the lawn which hasnt happened before.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: What a lovely summer - 4th Sep 2013 10:03pm
There has been a decrease of birds, around these parts. The nearby Hotel owner decided to 'trim back' his trees.... I would call it 'obliteration' at the completley wrong time of year... frown
Posted By: Christelle Re: What a lovely summer - 4th Sep 2013 10:05pm
I've got lots of tiny black flies on my kitchen ceiling, anyone have any idea what they may be or how to get rid?
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: What a lovely summer - 4th Sep 2013 10:28pm
Granny you can have all of the bluebottles that have been coming in to my house in droves frown Also the ants, both flying and walking have been in gangs at my front door regularly.

The weather has been glorious as you say, and I love to see how everyone appears to be so much happier because of it smile

Plus, it's lovely to get all the washing dried on the line in a couple of hours saving a bit of money on the electricity

Posted By: granny Re: What a lovely summer - 4th Sep 2013 10:37pm
Originally Posted by Christelle
I've got lots of tiny black flies on my kitchen ceiling, anyone have any idea what they may be or how to get rid?

Hi christelle,
They could be cornflies, which if they are will go as easily as they came and very quickly. I had
them once for 24 hours, all over the walls,then they were gone!
Posted By: venice Re: What a lovely summer - 5th Sep 2013 10:33am
You will see hornets soon Crystelle . Apparently a load of European ones are on their way over!
Posted By: YinYang Re: What a lovely summer - 5th Sep 2013 12:37pm
I've seen flying ants, granny. Plenty of insects around this year and certainly a good summer for butterflies. Didn't get as many May Bugs as usual though.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...sects-taking-skies-humid-end-summer.html thumbsup
Posted By: goodoldphil Re: What a lovely summer - 5th Sep 2013 3:11pm
I certainly agree the summer has been glorious and I think yesterday was one of the nicest days of all, it was warm without being too hot with a lovely breeze that was perfection itself. The bird I miss most is the skylark - I can't remember the last time I heard or saw one, I don't know if they have moved away from round here or not. Another bird I have not heard this year is a cuckoo. I do get out too and am in Eastham woods at least three times a week so I do have the opportunity to hear these birds if they are around. think
Posted By: Cranky Re: What a lovely summer - 6th Sep 2013 9:17am
We went to Chester zoo last week. All the wasps also went there and we spent the entire day fending them off. There have been lots of bees in my lavender and the leaf cutter bees have, as usual, decimated the leaves on one of my rose bushes. They were later starting than last year though. As for the flies/bluebottles, the cats seem to have chased, caught and eaten their usual quota ha ha!
Posted By: granny Re: What a lovely summer - 6th Sep 2013 10:28pm
Pleased to hear about your bees Cranky. How different everywhere has been. My bees were about a lot, when the wisteria was blooming, and then the deutzia.I always cut the lawn with pathways throught it when the clover flowers, but that didn't really seem to encourage many bees this year. The bees are so important to us, we would be lost without them.
Obviously the insects etc. must have moved to different locations this year. I wonder why?
The flying ants are a mystery also. There have been two nests here, year in year out for the past 13 years. Not this year and as they usually fly around the same date, I was watching for them, but no sign.
Anyone seen any ladybirds?
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: What a lovely summer - 6th Sep 2013 10:56pm
I`ve seen about 10 ladybirds. 4 flew into my house (unless it was the same one?) and had to take outside. Oh, and tons of butterflies, again quite a few came indoors.
Posted By: Salmon Re: What a lovely summer - 6th Sep 2013 11:09pm
I am almost petrified to make any comment on this site of late for fear of my throat being engulfed with whirling dervishes. However this thread seems pretty reasonable so here goes.
We have lots of bees in the lavender and other flowers,almost no wasps yet but September is their month.When I am out with the dog we see lots of swallows round Leasowe Lighthouse and Upton Park.Plenty of blue tits and goldfinches in the garden,not many ladybirds so lots of green fly on the roses.I suspect Christelle's little black flies are fruit flies.Any sign of fruit going off and they are there in their masses.No shortage of crows at all.As mentioned lots more butterflies than recent years but that could be due to the nettles which seem more prolific this year.If nettles really do attract butterflies as this seems to confirm then my garden will have a lot more next year. Roll on spring.
Posted By: Christelle Re: What a lovely summer - 7th Sep 2013 11:35am
I suspect Christelle's little black flies are fruit flies.Any sign of fruit going off and they are there in their masses.

Thanks Salmon, but I think Granny is correct in saying they may be Cornflies as they have dissapeared overnight.

Hi christelle,
They could be cornflies, which if they are will go as easily as they came and very quickly. I had
them once for 24 hours, all over the walls,then they were gone!

Thanks Granny
Posted By: guitarlad Re: What a lovely summer - 7th Sep 2013 12:13pm
Although the summer was great.I havent seen many wasps or bees.The bees i did see were dying or struggling to live.Usually when the summer is hotter and longer you get loads flying around.
Posted By: Christelle Re: What a lovely summer - 7th Sep 2013 4:45pm
Hi Guitarlad, do you play the guitar?
Posted By: Dilly Re: What a lovely summer - 7th Sep 2013 7:01pm

no he is on the fiddle laugh
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: What a lovely summer - 7th Sep 2013 8:18pm
I suppose you want a drum roll for that Dilly :-)
Posted By: Dilly Re: What a lovely summer - 8th Sep 2013 5:55am
just a little Paradiddle please Zipper :-)
Posted By: guitarlad Re: What a lovely summer - 11th Sep 2013 12:04pm
Originally Posted by Dilly

no he is on the fiddle laugh
Pmsl Dilly,whos strings are you pulling.Yes christelle i do play Guitar,piano,Drums.As for this thread weather is meant to go hot from tomorrow folks. wink
Posted By: YinYang Re: What a lovely summer - 11th Sep 2013 12:28pm
I think summer is well and truly over now guitarlad. Just hope we have a mild winter to look forward to. Am fed up of spending a fortune on heating!

Stormy weather forecast for Sunday & Monday. Bahhh....

Posted By: granny Re: What a lovely summer - 11th Sep 2013 6:58pm
Ying Yang, it's only Wednesday!
Posted By: YinYang Re: What a lovely summer - 11th Sep 2013 8:36pm
Originally Posted by granny

Yin Yang ...not Ying Yang! smack

It was dark at 7pm tonight and has been raining all day. It would be great if we did get a bit more nice weather for the sake of everyone involved in the Heritage Open Days etc, but basically Summer is finished.

Posted By: sunnyside Re: What a lovely summer - 11th Sep 2013 8:47pm
looks like autumn is here..but sept can be nice weather..fingers crossed.

Attached picture images.jpg
Posted By: YinYang Re: What a lovely summer - 11th Sep 2013 9:07pm
Ah ...thank you sunnyside. Harmony has now been restored!

September is, of course a time of balance. Soon we will be at the autumn equinox. Day and night equally balanced. Which is probably why the star sign for around that time is Libra - The Scales.
Posted By: sunnyside Re: What a lovely summer - 11th Sep 2013 9:12pm

Attached picture index.jpg
Posted By: guitarlad Re: What a lovely summer - 11th Sep 2013 11:13pm
Originally Posted by sunnyside
Your like a ray of sunshine.no matter what the weather Sunnyside.guess its time to get the jumpers out.ying yang i get the mrs to knit you a jumper and some socks.save your heating haha.
Posted By: granny Re: What a lovely summer - 12th Sep 2013 8:05am
You are in trouble ,guitar lad. The name is not Ying Yang.........
Posted By: sunnyside Re: What a lovely summer - 12th Sep 2013 8:45am
[Linked Image] its time to start knitting jumpers ready for the chilly weather ahead.
Posted By: YinYang Re: What a lovely summer - 12th Sep 2013 9:33am
Originally Posted by guitarlad
...guess its time to get the jumpers out.ying yang i get the mrs to knit you a jumper and some socks.save your heating haha.

Winter draws on...

Didn't know DD could knit guitarlad! dunno

Posted By: granny Re: What a lovely summer - 12th Sep 2013 9:57am
Originally Posted by YinYang
Originally Posted by guitarlad
...guess its time to get the jumpers out.ying yang i get the mrs to knit you a jumper and some socks.save your heating haha.

Winter draws on...

Didn't know DD could knit guitarlad! dunno

think Guitarlad isn,t dyslexic. And you must be an old timer!
Posted By: YinYang Re: What a lovely summer - 12th Sep 2013 10:07am
...you must be an old timer!

Was the 'winter draws on' gag a bit of a giveaway?!

Excuse me whilst I now absent myself. I've a twin-tub load of flannelettes to attend to... wink
Posted By: granny Re: What a lovely summer - 12th Sep 2013 10:11am
[quote=granny]...you must be an old timer!

Was the 'winter draws on' gag a bit of a giveaway?!

Excuse me whilst I now absent myself. I've a twin-tub load of flannelettes to attend to... wink
[/quote

Don,t forget the moth balls, it's a bad time of year for them.
Posted By: YinYang Re: What a lovely summer - 12th Sep 2013 10:17am
Don,t forget the moth balls, it's a bad time of year for them.

I don't know how they manage to fly with balls that big...

But, yes, thanks for the tip granny. Might re-line my draws while I'm at it and dig out my heavy-duty draught-proof curtains.
Posted By: sunnyside Re: What a lovely summer - 12th Sep 2013 12:01pm
good afternoon yin yang..what a lovely day...

Posted By: YinYang Re: What a lovely summer - 12th Sep 2013 1:51pm
Yay! Not too bad a day after all, is it sunnyside? At least it feels warmer than yesterday.

Unfortunately, I've not been out to enjoy it myself. I seldom get out nowadays on account of my chronic condition. Still think summer is all but over now. And I will definitely be battening down the hatches come Sunday.

Posted By: sunnyside Re: What a lovely summer - 12th Sep 2013 4:06pm
the nights are getting chilly now..its time to sit by the fire like yin yang.

Posted By: YinYang Re: What a lovely summer - 12th Sep 2013 4:44pm
Sadly I can't afford a roaring fire like that, sunnyside. However, I do have two cats and have trained them to curl up on my feet. Just as well that the Stay-Fresh socks I bought back in 1970 still have some life left in them, otherwise the cats probably wouldn't survive the experience...

Posted By: guitarlad Re: What a lovely summer - 12th Sep 2013 5:02pm
Sadly I can't afford a roaring fire like that, sunnyside. However, I do have two cats and have trained them to curl up on my feet. Just as well that the Stay-Fresh socks I bought back in 1970 still have some life left in them, otherwise the cats probably wouldn't survive the experience...

Do you want me to ask the wife if she would knit you a big wooly jumper and hat and scarf.Yingyang?You can cut down on the heating haha.Better still a hot water bottle.
Posted By: guitarlad Re: What a lovely summer - 12th Sep 2013 5:05pm

Yin Yang ...not Ying Yang! smack

It was dark at 7pm tonight and has been raining all day. It would be great if we did get a bit more nice weather for the sake of everyone involved in the Heritage Open Days etc, but basically Summer is finished.

PMSL you 2 behave.
Posted By: sunnyside Re: What a lovely summer - 12th Sep 2013 5:13pm
oh dear..has all the sun gone now?? (i don't think so)

Attached picture sad-face.jpg
Posted By: guitarlad Re: What a lovely summer - 12th Sep 2013 5:18pm
oh dear..has all the sun gone now?? (i don't think so)
We just look on the sunnyside.
Posted By: sunnyside Re: What a lovely summer - 12th Sep 2013 5:20pm
the knitting of woolie jumpers has started ready for winter

Attached picture h2535856C.jpg
Posted By: YinYang Re: What a lovely summer - 12th Sep 2013 7:44pm
Just remember folks, whatever the weather is doing, "keep your sunny side up..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H4y5_vTua8 thumbsup
Posted By: sunnyside Re: What a lovely summer - 12th Sep 2013 7:51pm
look on the

Attached picture images.jpg
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: What a lovely summer - 12th Sep 2013 7:51pm
Must be the warm weather as I am getting loads of these butterflies in my house. One landed on the light and you can just make out the spider coming out to see what was nearly for tea

Attached picture IMG_2224.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2226.JPG
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: What a lovely summer - 12th Sep 2013 7:53pm
A bit clearer pics

Attached picture IMG_2229.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2230.JPG
Posted By: granny Re: What a lovely summer - 12th Sep 2013 9:11pm
Catch them and put them back outside. They have to lay eggs for next year. Careful not to take the powder off their wings, cant fly if you do, unlike Yang Yings moth balls.
Posted By: guitarlad Re: What a lovely summer - 13th Sep 2013 8:09am
the knitting of woolie jumpers has started ready for winter
PMSL.love it.all they need is a pair of socks.
Posted By: Chantelle Re: What a lovely summer - 16th Sep 2013 7:20am
It's been the best summer in about 10 years. Thinks its over now.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral