Forums
Posted By: dave2745 What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 20th Apr 2013 10:55pm
First of all, apologies if this question has been asked before.

This question is mainly aimed at the over-50s although everyone is welcome to join in. What was the very first record you ever bought? The first single I ever bought was "San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Flowers In Your Hair)" by Scott MacKenzie way back in 1967 when I was 13 years old. I thought it was the greatest song I'd ever heard in my life. I can still vividly remember how excited I was going down to Simpson's Spin-In in Market Street, Birkenhead, to buy it. Then racing home to play it on the Dansette record player (that is, if my sister wasn't hogging it with her Tom Jones records!). Even hearing the song today brings back lots of fond memories.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 20th Apr 2013 11:27pm
sad to say it was "Leap up and down wave your knickers in the air". I`ve always been a pervert lol
Posted By: dave2745 Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 12:41am
Bloody hell, Zipper, me and my mate were talking about that very song just last night! How freaky is that? Quick, cue the Twilight Zone music, lol.
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 3:12am
The first record I bought with my own pocket money was Brand New Key by Melanie (I think) Dreadful song it was too, and I never understood what it meant, I didn't get the connection between roller skates and a key ??
Glad to say my taste in music has improved since then
Posted By: Tatey Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 6:19am
The theme from the movie "Ledgend of the Glass Mountain" by Mantovani & his orchestra on a 78 rpm from Chesters in Victoria Road, New Brighton. Beat that!
Posted By: Sallybear Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 7:13am
First record bought by me was actually a tape compilation in the 80's. I don't think it was one of the 'Now' ones, but there was another compilation tape out at the time and it was something similar to'Now' but the name is lost. I need to remember. Anyway I played that tape until it broke.

First record given to me was Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield.
Posted By: jerdubig Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 7:20am
She loves you The Beatles
Posted By: Katryn Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 8:03am
Mine was 'Hit's 7' bought in 1987 smile

http://i37.tinypic.com/rldlwm.jpg

CD 1
Bee Gees - "You Win Again"
Rick Astley - "Never Gonna Give You Up"
Terence Trent D'Arby - "Wishing Well"
Five Star - "Strong As Steel"
Spagna - "Call Me"
Beastie Boys - "She's On It"
Full Metal Jacket by Abigail Mead & Nigel Goulding - Full Metal Jacket (I Want To Be Your Drill Instructor)
Shakin Stevens - "What Do You Want To Make Those Eyes At Me For"
Fleetwood Mac - "Little Lies"
Alexander O'Neal - "Criticise (Radio Edit)"
Prince - "U Got The Look"
Donna Summer - "Dinner With Gershwin"
LeVert - "Casanova"
Pseudo Echo - "Funky Town"
Eric B & Rakim - "Paid in Full"
Chic - "Jack Le Freak (Edit)"
LP/MC/CD 2
A-ha - "The Living Daylights"
Wax - "Bridge To Your Heart"
Scarlet Fantastic - "No Memory"
The Jesus & Mary Chain - "Darklands"
The Sisters of Mercy - "This Corrosion"
House Master Boyz & The Rude Boy Of The House - "House Nation"
Desireless - "Voyage Voyage"
Nina Simone - My Baby Just Cares For Me"
Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes - "(I've Had) The Time Of My Life" (Theme from Dirty Dancing)
Atlantic Starr - "Always"
Luther Vandross - "So Amazing"
Whitney Houston - "Didn't We Almost Have It All"
Ray Parker Jr - "I Don't Think That Man Should Sleep Alone"
LL Cool J - "I Need Love"
Kenny G - "Songbird"
Simply Red - "Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye"
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 8:07am
Desmond Dekker singing Israelites,I only have to hear it now and I'm right back there wearing flares and a tank top.Happy days!
Posted By: lansyp Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 8:19am
sorry i am under 50 lol ghost town ,the specials
Posted By: pegsgirl Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 8:54am
Mine was "like sister and brother" by the drfters, 1973. Go goose pimply still if i here it. Reminds me of a special time in my life.
Posted By: lindy Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 9:00am
I think mine was Oh you pretty things by Pete Noone or possibly see my baby Jive by Wizard, memories!!!
Posted By: s7uajones Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 9:04am
I'm 46
Garry Newman
Cars
Posted By: Moonstar Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 9:29am
A present on becoming a teenager - "Wake Up Little Susie" by the Everly Brothers.
Posted By: Quank Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 9:37am
Flowers in the Rain by the Move. About 1967 from Strothers in Moreton. After listening to it on the headphones in those listening booths!
Posted By: poppet Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 9:44am
Solid Gold Easy action-T Rex (1972)
And I still have it, is it worth a million? LOL
Posted By: nuddy Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 10:17am
I Dont Like Mondays(Boomtown Rats), I bought it from the second hand shop that used to be in the market in about 1986, I was 14 then.

I still dont like them now!
Posted By: granny Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 11:00am
First single, I was given as a present by my sister was 'Take Five' by Dave Brubeck. She thought she would educate me, which I think she did.
First LP I bought was Fresh Cream' by Cream ....Eric Clapton,Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce.
Still have a little corner set aside for Eric!
Posted By: venice Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 12:06pm
Good ole Cliff " The Young Ones" and Elvis " Wooden Heart" Thought I was the bees knees having them.
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 12:34pm
From Rox Records in Hoylake.

[Linked Image]

blush
Posted By: tankrat22 Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 1:08pm
Living Doll. Ciff Richard,also played on the Dansette.
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 2:10pm

"Stand and Deliver" by Adam & the Ants. I had a huge crush on him! sorry Although I did love his music as well!

sylvias mother by dr hook, from strothers in moreton,
I was 19 at the time, only just got a record player, always had to listen to the 'wireless'
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 2:45pm
First single was 'Thriller' Michael Jackson.
Album- 'Like a Virgin'-Madonna

Still a fan of both.
Posted By: lansyp Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 3:58pm
s7uajones he was my first concert i ever went to and he was fab still got all me old records and my fan club stuff lol
meatloaf "dead ringer for love" still got it,its the one with the picture on the actual record.
Posted By: lansyp Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 4:03pm
went to see him in birmingham last week ,he struggled abit but he is 65 now but still a brillian concert
Posted By: ChrisJ Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 4:06pm
Never Ending Song Of Love - The New Seekers, June 1971

I still have it somewhere....
Posted By: Sneezy Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 4:29pm
Hold Me Close....David Essex. Oct 1975
He's still a cutie smile
Relax by Frankie goes to Hollywood.
Posted By: NBSM51 Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 5:35pm
For Me it was Frankie Laine singing I Believe, bought it in Liscard , cannot remember the Music shop, it was a very long time ago and the bluddy memory is on the Fritz
Posted By: arwen444 Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 5:38pm
mine was the clash London calling and I still have that little single in its picture sleeve and in pristine condition
Posted By: NBSM51 Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 5:39pm
about my last post, was the record shop in Liscard called Strothers????
Posted By: rocks Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 5:45pm
Donny Osmand and iv just found a pic of the album smile [img]http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4644514211365225&pid=15.1[/img]
Posted By: troberts Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 21st Apr 2013 7:20pm
First record i bought was Popcorn by Hot Butter
Cost 25p and i bought it in a shop i think was called Philips Records in New ferry on the right hand side heading toward levers
It was on Dynamo records Label
Tony
Mine was WWF Superstars - Slam Jam... I was 6 I think. I now have over 2000 Vinyls, thankfully, none as bad as that.
My blokes first record bought was The Goodies Funky Gibbon in around 1976.
He still owns it along with around 6000 other records.

His taste never got any better frown

TheMrs
Posted By: McFlurry Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 22nd Apr 2013 6:04pm
Well my first one was one that you could turn over and play the other side... so it wasnt a minidisk or a cd or an mp3 or wave or whatever.

a and b side. i miss you.
strothers were bought out by rumbleows I think
Originally Posted by NBSM51
about my last post, was the record shop in Liscard called Strothers????
going by some of my fellow 'oldies' on here, you may enjoy RICK STONES show on 7waves radio 92.1 sunday mornings between 10am and 1pm
Posted By: Dilly Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 22nd Apr 2013 10:40pm
Think mine could have been Hurdy gurdy man, Donovan , probably from Strothers liscard around 68-69.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 23rd Apr 2013 9:38pm
Im 54 and my first one was a compilation . think they were called MFP music for pleasure.Not sure if it was the original artists singing them. The cover had a sexy lady holding a tennis racket next to a tennis net? Bought from a newsagents in Upton Village.
Posted By: dave2745 Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 23rd Apr 2013 10:02pm
Wow! There are certainly some memorable classics amongst this lot!

I do miss watching vinyl records spinning round on the turntable. It's ironic to think that even CDs are considered old fashioned nowadays. I still have all my old vinyl records though, tucked away up in the loft. I have quite a collection too, ranging from Rock n Roll to Early-90s. I'd love to go back to those simpler times. oldman
Posted By: billyblue Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 24th Apr 2013 6:56am
my first record was Radancer by marmalade i bought it out of my first wage packet from nems in liverpool.
Posted By: shar215 Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 24th Apr 2013 9:55pm
adam and the ants ,prince charming . i was only 9 but i loved this guy
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 25th Apr 2013 6:31am
livin livida loca....ricky martin....i so wanted to be him....then of course...not now may i add...lol
Posted By: BossFan Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 25th Apr 2013 5:41pm
The first three singles I bought with my own money were all bought on the same dash. They were;

All The Young Dudes by Mott The Hoople
Virginia Plain by Roxy Music, both from Woolies in Birkenhead.

Standing In The Road by Blackfoot Sue, from Robbs.

My first LP was The Slider by T.Rex bought from Virgin in Liverpool
Posted By: reddragon Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 25th Apr 2013 6:18pm
simon says by the 1910 fruitgum co

[youtube]B9OMQ43EWWQ[/youtube] Googi The Liverpool Duck
Posted By: derekdwc Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 26th Apr 2013 2:37pm
"Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs" record album by Marty Robbins from the old market and coincidentally bought the cd today in the outside part of the new market (bit of a discount too off Mike the stallholder who is a member of Wiki)
Posted By: tankrat22 Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 27th Apr 2013 10:17pm
I have already posted my first record, living doll, my second purchase was Maggie May,unfortunately, I also purchased the follow up,'Those Dirty Flannel Draws That Maggie Wore,both very collectable.However not available now.I still sing along to them, until our Mag sees her Arse.LOL,might put em on, she,s just gone to bed. Happy Days,night all.
Jimmy Osmond, Long haired lover from Liverpool, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YriPIujLtsA
Posted By: gopher Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 28th Apr 2013 7:28pm
Hard Days Night by The Beatles
Posted By: brady Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 2nd May 2013 7:24pm
First single...Tubeway army--Are friends electric..1979
First album....Gary numan--The pleasure principle..1979

Still have both now lol
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - bought from (I think) Evan's radio shop in Heswall in late 1967. I've still got the genuine open reel tape copy I bought, complete with its box.
Posted By: SoundLad Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 22nd May 2013 4:18pm
Im old enough and the first proper record i brought (12 Inch) was called Bizz Nizz - Don't Miss The Party Line. The first 45 single i brought was the 900 number and the first CD was a compilation album of dance music from the 90s called Kaos Theory. smile Memories. Some examples below.

[youtube]D9QRNeegzSo[/youtube]

[youtube]axJpBlxW6n0[/youtube]

[youtube]CfXFI1k6LBU[/youtube]

smile
Posted By: atw1960 Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 12th Aug 2013 4:46pm
My first single was Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep by Middle of the Road
(graduates of Opportunity Knocks,if I remember correctly).Bought it from Simpson's Spin Inn at the top of Market Street in 1971.
First album was Relics by Pink Floyd in 1972 from Rushworth's.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 12th Aug 2013 5:08pm
Tommy Steele - 'Singin the Blues'.
Posted By: Tess65 Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 12th Aug 2013 5:25pm
'Remember You're A Womble', from the record stall in Liscard market.
I remember I was 2p short, and the lovely lady on the stall let me have it anyway, bless her!
Posted By: MissM Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 23rd Apr 2014 8:23pm
Never Ever by All Saints. Although this was on cassette.
Posted By: bobypam Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 23rd Apr 2014 9:14pm
Buddy Holly -LP grin
Posted By: sunnyside Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 23rd Apr 2014 9:35pm
[youtube]gLqB9hOkptg[/youtube] hope you like this one bobypam
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What Was The First Record You Ever Bought? - 23rd Apr 2014 9:57pm
sex pistols double "A" sided "silly thing" and "who killed bambi". 1979. like it was yesterday at rumbelows in moreton.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral