Forums
Posted By: granny Who was Robin Hood? - 24th Mar 2012 12:10am
Robin Hood is part of our heritage, but we are all still guessing who he might have been and when he was alive.
There are a few bits of information, which still don't prove very much.
I have been trying to uncover anything which may give some clues and have come up with a few facts that surround a particular person.
Has anyone got any ideas or thoughts about our Robin Hood, which you might like to share with us.

Looking forward to your comments! smile
Posted By: Tranquil Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 24th Mar 2012 2:32am
Now... this is very interesting Granny, about 20 years ago my mum had her family tree done, i really dont know much more than im about to tell you but apparently my mums family the Corrigans were related to Robert The Earl of Huntington, now i know its not proven that he was Robin Hood but most places suggest that he was! Sorry i cant give you any more information on this, im just going on what i was told 20 years ago, the family tree was actually shown in Earlston Library, we actually had a good laugh at it at the time she told us.....

Mark
Posted By: danyboy Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 24th Mar 2012 8:38am
HE WAS RICHARD GREEN M8
Posted By: hoseman Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 24th Mar 2012 9:08am
Interesting , Richard Green eh??

Well I know I AM SPARTACUS.....!!!!

Attached picture spartacus-workout.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 24th Mar 2012 10:03am
Please add name to list if you're Spartacus to prevent loads of "I'm Spartacus" posts - then we can sort this out in the arena

1 Hoseman
Posted By: hoseman Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 24th Mar 2012 10:58am
Arena....What ones you know of round here Derek..??
If its out of town i will have to get the bus AND tell me mum!
I have a large back garden or could meet after the baths on Sunday on the waste ground round the corner (dont tell me mum tho, doesnt like me playing with the rough kids!)
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 24th Mar 2012 11:36am
Charing Cross used to be the Arena, I think it now depends on when you go up there.
fight
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 24th Mar 2012 1:23pm
Apologies to granny for taking it further off topic, but a little devilish voice in my head kept saying "do it!do it!"

There'll be none of this nancy stuff with swords, tridents and nets.
I suggest the really hard stuff like Handbags at 10 paces, peashooters at 50 yards,conkers at 5 paces and tiddlywinks to name a few.
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 24th Mar 2012 5:00pm
Originally Posted by Tranquil
Now... had her family tree done, related to Robert The Earl of Huntington,

Robert the Earl of Huntington, did not exist. David of Scotland was a Scotish Prince & Earl of Huntington, during Richard the Lion Hearts reign. The name Robert came from a play in 1598 "The Downfall of Robert Earl of Huntingdon"
Someone must have got there trees muddled.
Posted By: Tranquil Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 24th Mar 2012 6:09pm

Robert the Earl of Huntington, did not exist. David of Scotland was a Scotish Prince & Earl of Huntington, during Richard the Lion Hearts reign. The name Robert came from a play in 1598 "The Downfall of Robert Earl of Huntingdon"
Someone must have got there trees muddled.

TBH i really dont know, maybe they tried to put 2 and 2 together and got 8, it seems that way, but as i said it was something i was told years ago......
Posted By: hoseman Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 24th Mar 2012 6:23pm
Now Spartacus....Hes real.....!! LOL
Posted By: granny Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 24th Mar 2012 6:34pm
quote"Robert the Earl of Huntington, did not exist. David of Scotland was a Scotish Prince & Earl of Huntington, during Richard the Lion Hearts reign. The name Robert came from a play in 1598 "The Downfall of Robert Earl of Huntingdon"
Someone must have got there trees muddled. [/quote]

Taken from Wikipedia

[Robin Hood's] death is stated by Ritson to have taken place on the 18th of November, 1247, about the 87th year of his age; but according to the following inscription found among the papers of the Dean of York...the death occurred a month later. In this inscription, which bears evidence of high antiquity, Robin Hood is described as Earl of Huntington - his claim to which title has been as hotly contested as any disputed peerage upon record.

Hear undernead dis laitl stean
Lais Robert Earl of Huntingun
Near arcir der as hie sa geud
An pipl kauld im Robin Heud
Sic utlaws as hi an is men
Vil England nivr si agen.
Obiit 24 Kal Dekembris 1247

This inscription also appears on a grave in the grounds of Kirklees Priory near Kirklees Hall
Posted By: Tranquil Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 24th Mar 2012 9:50pm
Granny, thank you for that information, obviously there have been many stories of who he was, but the information you have supplied us with matches what i was told....

Long Live Robin Hood!
Posted By: granny Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 24th Mar 2012 10:20pm
Originally Posted by Tranquil
Granny, thank you for that information, obviously there have been many stories of who he was, but the information you have supplied us with matches what i was told....

Long Live Robin Hood!

As you say ..long live Robin Hood. Thought you might be interested to see that bit of information but I have a different theory.
I think Robin Hood was William Wallace.
Now everyone can shout and say 'rubbish' but I am not on my own. My reasons will all be revealed at a later date.

Derekdwc, I don't mind what you post, it's all a bit of fun and changing the topic slightly, can sometimes add to the whole experience! How about that?
Posted By: Geekus Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 24th Mar 2012 10:52pm
Since the mid 13th century the name 'Robehod' or Robin Hood was used to describe any man who had been outlawed. For that reason, many indivuals have been associated with the name.

Personally, I like the idea that (like King Arthur) he is myth made manifest, and has more to do with pagan ideas of the Green Man rather than an real historical person.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 24th Mar 2012 11:04pm
Robin Hood

Robin Goodfellow

The Goodfellow

The Goodman

The Green Man?

http://mythsandlegendsofcheshire.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/robin-hood.html

Posted By: granny Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 24th Mar 2012 11:19pm
The Green man may bare some resembelance, but who in their right mind would write 49 verses of The Gest Of Robin Hood, about a man who didn't exist?
Posted By: Geekus Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 24th Mar 2012 11:24pm
One of the longest poems in the English language is 'The Faerie Queene', but was she a real person?

Even if you believe in fairy folk granny, you wont find any historical evidence for her.

Posted By: granny Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 24th Mar 2012 11:29pm
That's only because you don't believe! If you believe, you can make anything work and find lots of answers......didn't you know that? You can even twitch your nose like Samantha in Bewitched.

Of course the Faerie Queen wasn't a real person, she was a Faerie!
Posted By: Geekus Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 24th Mar 2012 11:38pm
I was too busy dreaming of 'Jeannie' to ever allow myself to be bewitched... raftl

If we're using logic of TV analogies granny, the real Robin Hood must have been Richard Greene!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047706/

Posted By: granny Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 24th Mar 2012 11:53pm
Are you pushing me?

See what you make of this. Just a few bits of a very much bigger picture.

William Wallace's decent was from Richard of Wormleighton (le Waleys) whose father came from Wales (Waleis)
He was sent to France at the end of the 13th century, but returned at some point and no one knows when. There were approx. three years at least when he was classed as missing.
Sir Stephen Le Waley's of Burghwallis is thought to have written 'The Gest of Robin Hood'
The Le Waley's family of Boroughwallis owned lands to include Skellow and Barnsdale.
Robin Hood's Well is located in Barnsdale which was on the border of Nottingham. Little John's Well is located in Barnsdale both near to Skellow.
William Wallace's nieee was married to a man by the name of Little at the end of the 13th Century.
William Wallace's wife ( gilfriend) was Marion Braidfoot.
Sir Richard le Waley's married Eleanor le Brus,parents of Stephen, she was wife of the late Le Brus.
Can you see all the connections?
Can I leave the rest to another day? Just a few points to ponder there.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 25th Mar 2012 12:25am

sherlock

http://www.scotsman.com/news/william_wallace_sparked_robin_hood_myth_1_1371204

Posted By: Geekus Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 25th Mar 2012 12:42am
There's also a bit more info for you on this link gran.

http://www.history.com/news/2011/01/05/william-wallace-the-real-robin-hood/
Posted By: granny Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 25th Mar 2012 9:47am
Thanks Geekus. Not such a daft idea then?? yipee
It's interesting to find out, that although there are some who believe Robin's real name was William Wallace, everyone seems to come up with different explanations and more theories. Those who try to disprove don't come up with much of an alternative other than myth. I get a bit confused
What I have found, apart from noting that Stephen le Waleys was thought to have written 'The Gest of Robin Hood', has been from my own efforts, with links to the subject. Therfore these have to be more, although small, valid points towards the William Wallace possibility. I am certain that William Wallace and Le Waleys of Burghwallis, were related more closely, than has yet been found.

Here is little more!

In the Twelfth and Thirteenth centuries there appears to have been quite an immigration from Yorkshire into Dumfriesshire, Scotland, the Bruces and Balloils being particularly notable. The Littles seemed to have joined in this hegira, settling exactly on the border between Scotland and England in Dumfriesshire on what became known as the disputed ground. By the year 1300 Edward Little married a niece of Sir William Wallace and was a Scotch patriot. By 1398 A. D. Nicol Little was an intermediary, adjusting difficulties between the Scotch and the English on the border. However, the constant border forays back and forth all harried the debated ground occupied by the Littles and in the Fifteenth and Sixteenth centuries they were forced to retaliation..

Then there is another website link below, which with some of the same information, gives Robin Hood as someone else. you will have to read it as it's quite a lot to take in.

http://midgleywebpages.com/annora.html
Posted By: hoseman Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 25th Mar 2012 7:54pm
Spartacus (Greek: Σπάρτακος, Spártakos; Latin: Spartacus[1]) (c. 109–71 BCE) was a famous leader of the slaves in the Third Servile War, a major slave uprising against the Roman Republic. Little is known about Spartacus beyond the events of the war, and surviving historical accounts are sometimes contradictory and may not always be reliable. Nevertheless, all sources agree that he was a former gladiator and an accomplished military leader.

Spartacus' struggle, often interpreted as an example of oppressed people fighting for their freedom against a slave-owning oligarchy, has found new meaning since the 19th century.[2] The story of Spartacus has also proven inspirational to many modern authors of literature, history, political commentary, film, and television.
Origins

Balkan tribes, including the Maedi
The ancient sources agree that Spartacus was a Thracian. Plutarch describes him as "a Thracian of Nomadic stock".[3] Appian says he was "a Thracian by birth, who had once served as a soldier with the Romans, but had since been a prisoner and sold for a Gladiator".[4] Florus (2.8.8) described him as one "who from Thracian mercenary, had become a Roman soldier, of a soldier a deserter and robber, and afterward, from consideration of his strength, a gladiator".[5] Some authors refer to the Thracian tribe of the Maedi,[6][7][8] which in historic times occupied the area on the southwestern fringes of Thrace (present day south-western Bulgaria).[9][10] Plutarch also writes that Spartacus' wife, a prophetess of the Maedi tribe, was enslaved with him.

The name Spartacus is otherwise attested in the Black Sea region: kings of the Thracian dynasty of the Cimmerian Bosporus[11] and Pontus[12] are known to have borne it, and a Thracian "Sparta" "Spardacus"[13] or "Sparadokos",[14] father of Seuthes I of the Odrysae, is also known.

[edit] Enslavement and escape

The Roman Republic at 100 BCE
According to the differing sources and their interpretation, Spartacus either was an auxiliary from the Roman legions later condemned to slavery, or a captive taken by the legions.[15] Spartacus was trained at the gladiatorial school (ludus) near Capua belonging to Lentulus Batiatus. In 73 BCE, Spartacus was among a group of gladiators plotting an escape. The plot was betrayed but about 70[16] men seized kitchen implements, fought their way free from the school, and seized several wagons of gladiatorial weapons and armor.[17] The escaped slaves defeated a small force sent after them, plundered the region surrounding Capua, recruited many other slaves into their ranks, and eventually retired to a more defensible position on Mount Vesuvius.[18][19]

Once free, the escaped gladiators chose Spartacus and two Gallic slaves—Crixus and Oenomaus—as their leaders. Although Roman authors assumed that the slaves were a homogeneous group with Spartacus as their leader, they may have projected their own hierarchical view of military leadership onto the spontaneous organization of the slaves, reducing other slave leaders to subordinate positions in their accounts. The positions of Crixus and Oenomaus—and later, Castus—cannot be clearly determined from the sources. wink

Attached picture spartacus-workout.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 6th Apr 2012 1:55pm
no such person the term robin hood was given to outlaws or settlers that lived on the land and payed no taxes on the land !!

also a term given to dick turpin types ,although i did read somewere that maid marion did actually exist though !!
Posted By: granny Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 28th Apr 2012 10:53pm
Originally Posted by NON_CUSTOM
no such person the term robin hood was given to outlaws or settlers that lived on the land and payed no taxes on the land !!

also a term given to dick turpin types ,although i did read somewere that maid marion did actually exist though !!

Dick Turpin also existed........so why not Robin Hood?
If there was no such person as Robin Hood, why mention Maid Marion?
confused
This is why we try to solve, where the original story of Robin Hood originated from!

Maid Marion.......There was a Marion who married William Wallace.!!!

Sir William 'Braveheart' Wallace Compact Disc #125 Pin #58361 Pedigree
Sex: M

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event(s)
Birth: 1274

,Renfrewshire,Scotland
Death: 23 Aug 1305

executed in London

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parents
Father: Malcolm Wallace Disc #125 Pin #58365

Marriage(s)
Spouse: Marion Braidfort Disc #125 Pin #58366
Marriage: bef 1296
of,,Scotland

Posted By: ex0__ Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 28th Apr 2012 11:35pm
Robin Hood is about as real as Beowulf. That is to say they are both folklore smile
Posted By: granny Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 28th Apr 2012 11:39pm
Well, I expected you to appear from somewhere out of the mist.

But we don't have to take things too seriously, now do we? no
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 29th Apr 2012 10:15am
Did I misunderstand the thread? I thought you were confused as to whether Robin Hood was a person or a myth. You do say if anyone has any ideas or suggestions they should post them. My suggestion is it's folklore - like Beowulf, which is what the history on the subject tells us. An idyllic personality born from tales and song. (or poetry in Beowulf's case).
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 29th Apr 2012 10:26am
Originally Posted by granny
Well, I expected you to appear from somewhere out of the mist. no

HAHAHAHAAAAA raftl
Posted By: Lightning Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 29th Apr 2012 10:49am
Originally Posted by hoseman
Now Spartacus....Hes real.....!! LOL
where is he then flex
Posted By: granny Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 29th Apr 2012 11:48am
Originally Posted by ex0__
Did I misunderstand the thread? I thought you were confused as to whether Robin Hood was a person or a myth. You do say if anyone has any ideas or suggestions they should post them. My suggestion is it's folklore - like Beowulf, which is what the history on the subject tells us. An idyllic personality born from tales and song. (or poetry in Beowulf's case).

You misunderstood my reply, as I only said, 'we don't have to take things too seriously'. Anyway, that aside. Here is a possible explanation for myths and legends.

Many characters are based on myth, but they usually have roots somewhere.
For example: In a couple of hundred years our great, great, great grandchildren, may be trying to hunt down who the real Ex0 was. No body will know. It will be a new word in the dictionary relating to a person who had dogmatic tendencies. People might say. ‘You’re an Ex0 you are’.

From this people might try to find the original person, but they won’t be able to, because Exo was a myth, whom no one ever knew. .

I’m afraid Ex0 will have to fade into the mist, with the rest of the legends.

Conclusion: He didn’t exist!

Is it Fact or Fiction. You could be history Ex0 but no one will know.
Posted By: Lightning Re: Who was Robin Hood? - 29th Apr 2012 11:50am
Debate has raged over the truth behind Robin Hood
The legend of Robin Hood may be something more than old wive's tales, according to archaeologists who have made an "amazing" discovery in Nottingham.

They have found a tunnel beneath the city's Galleries of Justice which may feature in one of the famous outlaw's exploits.

Documentation from nearby St Mary's church tells of Robin escaping from the church in tunnels which led to the prison.

Tunnels criss-cross the city, staff at the Galleries of Justice say this discovery is of the right age and in the right place.

The discovery of this tunnel is an amazing find

Archaeologist Gavin Kingsley

The tunnel, which has remained undiscovered for centuries, was found by archaeologists surveying the existing cave system underneath the ancient site.

Documentation held at St. Mary's Church, claims that Robin Hood, in one of his many encounters with the Sheriff of Nottingham, was trapped within the church, unable to find a way out.

After frantically searching for an exit, he discovered a passageway leading under the current High Pavement straight into tunnels beneath the prison.

The maze of man-made tunnels are thought to link up to many of the natural caves beneath the city and are dated back to before the medieval age.

Church escape

The entrance to the "escape" tunnel, which leads all the way to St. Mary's Church, was found as archaeologists accidentally broke through a rotten wooden floor.

Archaeologist Gavin Kingsley said: "The discovery of this tunnel is an amazing find.

"It goes someway to substantiating the theory that Robin Hood was trapped within the sanctuary of St. Mary's Church and escaped into the prison that existed at that time."

It is hoped that once funding is secured, the award-winning museum can fully excavate the cave.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral