Forums
Posted By: granny What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 5:03pm
Having reflected on life in general and where we are today, with so many more opportunities, I thought it could be interesting to find out if others would have done things differently. If you could go back in time and start again. What would your dreams have been and can you still fulfill them.
Maybe our ambitions were not met, or had no ambitions and wish that we had done.
For myself, I have had a wonderful, full and exciting life and I wouldn't change any of it.
Only one regret,- that I was not more interested in learning at school and that I never made the time since, to put my mind to it.
My dream would have been to have learnt as much as possible about music and to have been part of an orchestra or had the ability to be a composer.

Tell us about you.
Posted By: micsey Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 5:20pm
i never learnt much in school we used to play bingo in maths? if only i had known then what i no now,still been able to make good money,sometime lots of pices of paper saying your good at this n that mean nothing,you also so need some street sense,thats why the uk is like its today run by fuckwits
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 5:40pm
Things I would have done differently ...

Not got married.
Gone self-employed earlier in life.
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 5:54pm
Things I would change...........

I would of worked less hours and spent more time with my dad

Not getting involved with people who walked all over me

Regret not starting my own hairdressing business

Posted By: Peanut Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 5:59pm
Originally Posted by Sarah_ZR

It's never too late Sarah. You can do what ever you want.
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 6:03pm
Times have changed now peanut

But possible one day but don't think so
Posted By: Peanut Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 6:05pm

That's a shame Sarah. My sister wanted to start her own Mobile hairdressing business so I know how hard it is.
Posted By: Tombraider Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 6:09pm

you can still do your hairdressing, you can make a bomb from your mobile hairdressing as customers are screaming for them.
And you can rent a place out as well to do hairdressing and get a couple of mates to chip in with you.
Spraytanning is getting big as well.
you can also learn to do nails and eyelashes.
alot of options.
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 6:10pm
I do mobile hairdressing,but car has been off the road for a few months will be back to it once car is spot on smile
Posted By: Peanut Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 6:14pm
I do mobile hairdressing,but car has been off the road for a few months will be back to it once car is spot on smile

Come on Ste, fix the car.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 7:09pm
When I left school I started my job as Trainee Transport Manager but regret never asking the firm to allow me to get any qualifications.
When my boss the Transport Manager died 1970 a law had come in
stating if you'd worked as Transport Manager before 1970 you were ok otherwise you had to get the right qualifications such as
Transport Manager Certificate of Professional Competence through various exams etc.
Ended up as transport office foreman in charge of deliveries and collections under various transport managers who ran the garage and vehicles side of it
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:06pm
Originally Posted by Peanut

It's never too late Sarah. You can do what ever you want.

I find myself rarely agreeing with Peanut.

This is not one of those times.

I have a full time job and I also run a small business, lunchtimes, after work, weekends, via my iPhone - whenever it needs some attention.

My advice on starting a business is pretty simple and is something others have disagreed with me about for a fair old time now...

"Take something that someone else does and do it better".

People tell me all the time that the secret to success is finding something that nobody else has thought of, but that's not easy in this day and age. If you can be better than the competition then you're sorted.

Your other half is good with cars, from what I've heard, have him sort it. If it is money that is an issue then spend a little less shopping wink - you're a self-confessed shopaholic and you told me money is no object the other night.

Go to your bank with a business plan, they ARE lending to the right people.

Anyway, I am going off topic, do I have any regrets?

Sure, when I turned 18 I took my life savings of £20k and I spunked every last penny on a car, and subsequent modifications to that car. I wish I'd got myself an old classic, paid much less on insurance, running costs, buying it etc. I wish I'd not lost £12k on that car in 2 years. I wish I'd used the money to do something more constructive like travelling, or buying my first buy-to-let property. If I'd have been more sensible back then I may be in a much better position now. £12k + the rest of the car running costs is a lot to lose when you're 18-20 and studying!

But I didn't.

I think I set myself back a good couple of years in doing so.

Education/uni/job wise, no regrets.

I'm currently in the process of trying to pass on my experience to my 19 year old brother who, upon receipt of this £20k gift, wants to buy a car.

Nobody ever listens, so perhaps that's another regret, not listening to my parents. Sometimes they DO know best.
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:12pm
Personally, I wouldn't change a thing. I firmly believe that things, both good and bad, happen for a reason and that when you come to pop your clogs the scales will be even, give or take an ounce or two. Which side that ounce is leaning towards will depend only on one thing-YOU!! :-)
Posted By: 8HBob Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:15pm
Back in the seventies I'd probably have invented a computer system & called it something like Microsoft.

Bob.
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:19pm
Originally Posted by FiremanFil
Personally, I wouldn't change a thing. I firmly believe that things, both good and bad, happen for a reason and that when you come to pop your clogs the scales will be even, give or take an ounce or two. Which side that ounce is leaning towards will depend only on one thing-YOU!! :-)

You make your own luck Fil. People who sit back and think that the hand they have been dealt is solely down to luck (or lack of it) and fate are massively deluded.

I know some extremely 'privileged' people who have ended up with nothing and I've known people to come from nothing and end up with things they could never dream of.

You get OUT of life what you put IN to it.

Put nothing in, get nothing out etc.

Posted By: Peanut Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:20pm
Don't think you needed to write a book, lol.
Not everyone is in the fortunate position of being handed £20,000 at the age of 18 or at any age for that matter. I have a lot more respect for people who go out and do it for themselves. Sarah, if you are a talented hairdresser I am sure you could build a very successful business, it's like Jonron says, you have to be better than your competitors.
Posted By: Tombraider Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:24pm
i wish i had taken up driving lessons when i got the offer.
Then i would start my own little busuness.there is alot of opportunities out there and if you put your mind to it it can happen.
the saying goes money makes money!
i suppose i could still aim for that in the new year.
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:26pm

Hi Sarah , you are only young ,you can still do most things surely i say if you want it ,go and get it good luck smile
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:26pm
Not everyone is in the fortunate position of being handed £20,000 at the age of 18 or at any age for that matter. I have a lot more respect for people who go out and do it for themselves. Sarah, if you are a talented hairdresser I am sure you could build a very successful business, it's like Jonron says, you have to be better than your competitors.

It's not a book, it's a constructive post which was aimed to help.

Sarah, you definitely CAN do it. So go and do it.

Posted By: gypsyjune Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:27pm
Originally Posted by Tombraider
i wish i had taken up driving lessons when i got the offer.
Then i would start my own little busuness.there is alot of opportunities out there and if you put your mind to it it can happen.
the saying goes money makes money!
i suppose i could still aim for that in the new year.
too right you can go for it as ive just told Sarah ,if you want it ,do it, smile i`ll help you
Posted By: Tombraider Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:29pm
i do agree with you peanut but some poeple start with nothing then become successfull and earn there money well.
Posted By: Sillymoo Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:30pm
If i had the choice i wouldnt change anything.... it sounds cheesy but the stuff thats happened in my life has made me who i am today... you make your own luck smile
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:30pm

Sarah that depends on what you want to do , smile
Posted By: Tombraider Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:32pm
Originally Posted by Sillymoo
If i had the choice i wouldnt change anything.... it sounds cheesy but the stuff thats happened in my life has made me who i am today... you make your own luck smile
Thats true Sillymoo, did you make things work for you then!
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:36pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
When I left school I started my job as Trainee Transport Manager but regret never asking the firm to allow me to get any qualifications.
When my boss the Transport Manager died 1970 a law had come in
stating if you'd worked as Transport Manager before 1970 you were ok otherwise you had to get the right qualifications such as
Transport Manager Certificate of Professional Competence through various exams etc.
Ended up as transport office foreman in charge of deliveries and collections under various transport managers who ran the garage and vehicles side of it
That`s a prime example of sod`s law ,sad that tho Derekdwc
Posted By: Sillymoo Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:40pm
Thats true Sillymoo, did you make things work for you then!

Yer things havent always gone the way i would like but just get over and get on with it lol laugh
Posted By: Tombraider Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:44pm
yes i agree with you there,
well i hope i can turn round at the end of this year and not say what i would have done differently Missymoo.
you sound a nice person anyway.
Posted By: luckycharm Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:44pm
your so right crap happens but it makes you stronger x
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:44pm
i do agree with you peanut but some poeple start with nothing then become successfull and earn there money well.

Of course they do.

Risk is always directly proportionate to reward.

For example, Investing in the stock market is riskier than investing in property. Investing in property is riskier than investing in gold. Investing in gold is riskier than investing in bonds. Investing in bonds is riskier than fixed deposits.

Those that have come from nothing and made a fortune have taken considerable risks.

Sarah needs to take that risk, or take the easy option and work for someone else. There's no risk in that but there's also very little reward.

I could go on, but I won't.
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:45pm
Too many people equate success in life to how wealthy they are financially. Big mistake-especially in modern society. Happiness comes from within. It is better to give than to receive innit. I know many people who have won and lost. Survival depends on your personal outlook. For example,how many Jews who survived the concentration camps managed to make lives for themselves because they had the right approach to life? Just imagine being repatriated from Belsen, in 1945. No family; no friends, save a few survivors. How much bitterness did those guys have to overcome to move forward? Imagine having your house taken away from you by bailiffs and having to start from scratch. It must be a nightmare-so every night, I count my blessings, which are many and look forward to the next day of being alive!!
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:47pm
Originally Posted by gypsyjune
if you want it ,do it, smile i`ll help you

Or... I'll help you.

I've built up a considerable fund which I plan to invest. It was going to be bricks and mortar but there are plenty of angel investors willing to fund start ups such as this. Bring a decent business plan to them and they'll help you to help them.

Posted By: Sillymoo Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:48pm
Too many people equate success in life to how wealthy they are financially. Big mistake-especially in modern society. Happiness comes from within. It is better to give than to receive innit. I know many people who have won and lost. Survival depends on your personal outlook. For example,how many Jews who survived the concentration camps managed to make lives for themselves because they had the right approach to life? Just imagine being repatriated from Belsen, in 1945. No family; no friends, save a few survivors. How much bitterness did those guys have to overcome to move forward? Imagine having your house taken away from you by bailiffs and having to start from scratch. It must be a nightmare-so every night, I count my blessings, which are many and look forward to the next day of being alive!!

so true!
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:50pm
Originally Posted by JonRon

Of course they do.

For example, Investing in the stock market is riskier than investing in property. Investing in property is riskier than investing in gold. Investing in gold is riskier than investing in bonds. Investing in bonds is riskier than fixed deposits.

Those that have come from nothing and made a fortune have taken considerable risks.

Sarah needs to take that risk, or take the easy option and work for someone else. There's no risk in that but there's also very little reward.

LOL Please don`t
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:52pm
if you want it ,do it, smile i`ll help you

Or... I'll help you.

I've built up a considerable fund which I plan to invest. It was going to be bricks and mortar but there are plenty of angel investors willing to fund start ups such as this. Bring a decent business plan to them and they'll help you to help them.

lol is that dragon`s den you talking about smile
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:53pm
Too many people equate success in life to how wealthy they are financially.

Unfortunately, that is how success is measured.

Big mistake-especially in modern society. Happiness comes from within. It is better to give than to receive innit.

I agree. Being able to give because you have done well is a fantastic feeling, letting others benefit from your success.

I know many people who have won and lost.

Me too. They've taken the risk, some win, some lose.

Survival depends on your personal outlook. For example,how many Jews who survived the concentration camps managed to make lives for themselves because they had the right approach to life? Just imagine being repatriated from Belsen, in 1945. No family; no friends, save a few survivors. How much bitterness did those guys have to overcome to move forward?

I think we're going slightly off topic here, how many concentration camp survivors do we have on Wiki?

Imagine having your house taken away from you by bailiffs and having to start from scratch. It must be a nightmare-so every night, I count my blessings, which are many and look forward to the next day of being alive!!

These people are either lazy or took the risk vs reward route and failed. But the risk vs. reward people will pick themselves up and give it another crack. The lazy, well, they'll sign on andy give up.

LIFE... is what you make of it.
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:54pm
LOL Please don`t

This sort or response shows me why you're not an entrepreneur and will never make anything of yourself.

Some people are cut out for life and some just float along, happy with what they have.
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:55pm
One of my mates informed me the other day that his wife had made him a millionaire. He said, before he met her-he was a multi-millionaire!!
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:56pm

Call it what you like.

I've invested money in a fair few start up businesses. Luckily more have succeeded than failed.

That's the risk though isn't it. I could have taken a 9-5 and settled down. I'd still be making above average money, but it wouldn't satisfy me. Different strokes/different folks.
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:56pm
One of my mates informed me the other day that his wife had made him a millionaire. He said, before he met her-he was a multi-millionaire!!
raftl raftl raftl
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:57pm

Isn't that the truth.
Posted By: Peanut Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:57pm

phew, grin

Good that some people are fortunate enough to not to have to take a risk.
I know people who have access to "bank of mum and dad" and they know they can always fall back on mummy and daddy.
I'm going to make sure my kids understand that money has to be earned.
Posted By: Tombraider Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 8:58pm
raftl raftl raftl
raftl :r:omg
Posted By: Sillymoo Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:00pm
LOL Please don`t

This sort or response shows me why you're not an entrepreneur and will never make anything of yourself.

Some people are cut out for life and some just float along, happy with what they have.

Just because someone isnt an entrepreneur does not mean thay wont make something of themsleves life isnt about sitting in pools of cash from some big career...... i float along with life and am very happy laugh
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:01pm
LOL Please don`t

Just show`s ,you know nothing
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:01pm

phew, grin

I know people who have access to "bank of mum and dad" and they know they can always fall back on mummy and daddy.

Yeah, some people are fortunate enough. I know a couple.

Poor kids... when I have kids, that I bring into the world, they will have the benefit of a successful father and I will give them everything I possibly can, whilst ensuring they understand the value of money.

I appreciate that sometimes a father can't offer all they would have wanted to their children.
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:02pm
George W. Bush once said to a White House aide: "The French will never make good businessmen-they don't even have a word in their language for entrepreneur!!" lol.
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:02pm
LOL Please don`t

Just show`s ,you know nothing

You understand irony, right?
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:03pm

Just because someone isnt an entrepreneur does not mean thay wont make something of themsleves life isnt about sitting in pools of cash from some big career...... i float along with life and am very happy laugh

I agree. Some people are happy floating along.

"It takes all sorts".

Posted By: Peanut Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:07pm

phew, grin

Poor kids... when I have kids, that I bring into the world, they will have the benefit of a successful father and I will give them everything I possibly can, whilst ensuring they understand the value of money.

I appreciate that sometimes a father can't offer all they would have wanted to their children.

Spoiling your children is not a good idea.
Telling them how much you love them is much more important.
Money isn't everything.
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:08pm
which one are you going on about there are three meanings?
Posted By: Peanut Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:10pm

I agree. Some people are happy floating along.

"It takes all sorts".

Did you not read the bit where sillymoo says "I am very happy" ?
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:12pm

I agree. Some people are [b]very[b/] happy floating along.

"It takes all sorts".

Did you not read the bit where sillymoo says "I am very happy" ?

Sorry for missing the word 'very'.
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:13pm

Call it what you like.

I've invested money in a fair few start up businesses. Luckily more have succeeded than failed.

That's the risk though isn't it. I could have taken a 9-5 and settled down. I'd still be making above average money, but it wouldn't satisfy me. Different strokes/different folks.
Is that why you went back home .i thought it was because you couldn`t afford the flat any more maybe
Posted By: chris58 Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:13pm
My first thought was I wouldn't have married my first husband but then I thought I wouldn't have met my the man I'm married to now, had 3 great kids, fab grandson, lovely home and great job. Yes I'm very lucky, very happy and count my blessings. If having what I have meant 8 years of crap in my early 20's with husband number 1 it was worth it.
Posted By: Peanut Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:15pm
Living at home with mum and dad costs you nothing. Gotta be smart aye. wink grin
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:15pm

Money isn't everything.

1. Give them what you can, if you can't, you can't;
2. Obviously, both 1 & 2 would be ideal;
3. Correct, but it's nice, and it helps.
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:16pm

phew, grin

for god`s sake Don`t reproduce that`s cruel
Posted By: Peanut Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:16pm
Originally Posted by chris58
My first thought was I wouldn't have married my first husband but then I thought I wouldn't have met my the man I'm married to now, had 3 great kids, fab grandson, lovely home and great job. Yes I'm very lucky, very happy and count my blessings. If having what I have meant 8 years of crap in my early 20's with husband number 1 it was worth it.

Nice 1 Chris, things happen for a reason.
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:16pm
right i`m off now some idiot is beginning to piss me off
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:17pm
Is that why you went back home .i thought it was because you couldn`t afford the flat any more maybe

You seem to know a lot about me.

If you're referring to the flat I bought in Manchester when I lived there then I have 2 very happy tenants living there and it's worth a whole lot more than when I bought it.
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:17pm
Great thinking, Chris!! That's the spirit!! It takes lots of failure to be successful. :-)
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:17pm
Living at home with mum and dad costs you nothing. Gotta be smart aye. wink grin

Indeed, and if you can do it then I'd recommend it.

If you're lucky to have multimillionaire parents who are willing to help you out then it's ideal, is it not?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:18pm

That's quite a generalism, Bill Gates didn't take many risks to get his business on the road, more of the right place at the right time. Successful business is about risk management and hence minimising risk and going against that rule.

I've seen many people burn out, your first investment should be to your health and quality of life, yes, some people thrive on stress - but some of those people die of their stress as well.

Different people, different skills, different goals in life - nobody is right, nobody is wrong.
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:18pm

It's cruel reproducing if you can't support them.
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:19pm

Success story. Well done.
Posted By: Peanut Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:19pm

Money isn't everything.

1. Give them what you can, if you can't, you can't;
2. Obviously, both 1 & 2 would be ideal;
3. Correct, but it's nice, and it helps.

Material things don't makes a chid happy, sometimes it's the small things in life that make a happy family, like fun holidays together etc etc etc, anyway going round in circles with you, the expert in everything, including parenthood. sleep
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:20pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

That's quite a generalism, Bill Gates didn't take many risks to get his business on the road, more of the right place at the right time. Successful business is about risk management and hence minimising risk and going against that rule.

I've seen many people burn out, your first investment should be to your health and quality of life, yes, some people thrive on stress - but some of those people die of their stress as well.

Different people, different skills, different goals in life - nobody is right, nobody is wrong.

A good post.

There's always those that have a fantastic idea, Mark Zuckerberg springs to mind.

But it isn't a regular occurrence.

Most people 'make it' through hard work and taking risks.
Posted By: Tombraider Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:23pm
yes same here i got a great guy in my life everything i own i have worked for.
got a few mates that i can trust.
am not loaded with money but who needs it i dont go spending mine on unnessary things anyway.
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:23pm

Material things don't makes a chid happy, sometimes it's the small things in life that make a happy family, like fun holidays together etc etc etc, anyway going round in circles with you, the expert in everything, including parenthood. sleep

Material things add to a childs happiness.

[Linked Image]

These guys probably have the most loving parents imaginable, but are they happy?

Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:24pm
am not loaded with money but who needs it i dont go spending mine on unnessary things anyway.

Well done.

Do you feel you could have tried a bit harder and had a bit more?

Genuine question.

Your ex-husband, how much do you attribute to him?
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:26pm
I dunno-but I give 'em my £3 a month. Desperate really because their government should stick a few pence in too, don't you think? Africa is the breeding ground for World War 3. We have to get rid of these despotic governments post-haste.
Posted By: Peanut Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:27pm

Indeed, and if you can do it then I'd recommend it.

If you're lucky to have multimillionaire parents who are willing to help you out then it's ideal, is it not?

Oh yes I agree, it's ideal, and what kid wouldn't turn it down. But that doesn't give you the credentials to advise other people on how to be sussecful, as it sounds like you have had a bit of help that most wouldn't have had. Some people work hard from scratch and earn what they have and some people are handed whatever they want on a plate. So please stop trying to advise everyone on how to be successful, unless you have done it from nothing. grin
Posted By: Tombraider Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:30pm

Well done.

Genuine question.

my ex has nothing to do with you,
i have achieved what i want so far and happy.
Thats all that matters.
Posted By: Peanut Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:31pm

Well done.

Genuine question.

Thats all that matters.

withthat
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:32pm
So please stop trying to advise everyone on how to be successful, unless you have done it from nothing. grin

I'd have done it from nothing, if I'd have started from nothing.

That's the work ethic I have.

Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:32pm
Thats all that matters.

Fair play, some people are easily pleased.

I'm happy for you.
Posted By: Tombraider Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:34pm
So please stop trying to advise everyone on how to be successful, unless you have done it from nothing. grin

I'd have done it from nothing, if I'd have started from nothing.

That's the work ethic I have.

same here i started with nothing never claimed any benefits ither.
didnt even depend on mum and dad when skint.
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:36pm

Well done. Shame though, as that's what they're there for.

Luckily I've never been skint.
Posted By: Peanut Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:38pm

Mum and dad are there for hand outs when you need it?
Have you ever heard of the words spoilt brat being used in a conversation? grin
Posted By: Tombraider Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:39pm

thats nice that mum and dad is there for you.
i take it your old enough to flee the nest.
but they say that some like there bread buttered on both sides.
well done glad you are happy.
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:42pm

Mum and dad are there for hand outs when you need it?
Have you ever heard of the words spoilt brat being used in a conversation? grin

I'm confident that they would be, luckily I've never had to test the theory due to my successful career and the business that I run.

Secondly, no, never heard those words.
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:43pm

More than old enough, just bought my 4th house and plan to move into this one.

Who wouldn't like their bread buttered on both sides?

Thanks grin
Posted By: Tombraider Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:47pm

More than old enough, just bought my 4th house and plan to move into this one.

Who wouldn't like their bread buttered on both sides?

Thanks grin
I bet all your mates are posh as well, laugh
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:48pm
My younger son is at Uni in Huddersfield and the boss and I consider it a privilege that we can help him out financially because if we couldn't, he'd starve. Students get a raw deal off the government. Thank God he's in his last year. He does appreciate the help, though and always remembers to say, "Thanks". We don't go mad-just give him enough for the basics. He has a part-time job in a call centre too. Good hard-working lad. Takes after his mum!! :-)
Posted By: Red_stripe Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:49pm

It's cruel reproducing if you can't support them.
It`s the thought of two or more of you ,Narcisistic is bad enough for one imagine the poor things having your gene`s Alex when are you going to learn it`s not about money ,and put both hands where i can see them lol
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:52pm

I choose my mates based on their morals and ethics. I'm lucky in that I have an honest and genuine group of friends that I trust implicitly. This goes for my school friends, uni friends, work friends and any other friends I have.

Friends are the most important things in my life and I'd do anything for them.
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:53pm
My younger son is at Uni in Huddersfield and the boss and I consider it a privilege that we can help him out financially because if we couldn't, he'd starve. Students get a raw deal off the government. Thank God he's in his last year. He does appreciate the help, though and always remembers to say, "Thanks". We don't go mad-just give him enough for the basics. He has a part-time job in a call centre too. Good hard-working lad. Takes after his mum!! :-)

Amen to that and fair play to him for riddling himself with the debt that we all come out of uni with. It'll land him in good stead for the rest of his life.

Although I'm not a father (that I know of), when I am, I'll want the best for them.
Posted By: Red_stripe Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:55pm
Hi Every body should we leave this shite subject alone and have our usual laugh ,ignore the troubled one it`s clear he can`t /won`t get on ,the bigger the harder they fall ,that goes out to every tit i know ,and there`s only one of them unless god forbid it reproduces .Let`s go back on chat eh don`t let him wind you up lolsee you all on chat in a minit eh smile
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:55pm
Originally Posted by Red_stripe
It`s the thought of two or more of you ,Narcisistic is bad enough for one imagine the poor things having your gene`s Alex when are you going to learn it`s not about money ,and put both hands where i can see them lol

How did you get to Dublin so quickly June?

Log back into your normal account and let's carry this debate on like normal people.

My offspring will most definitely be contributing to this country and economy, not taking from it.

I'll make sure they understand what NOT to make of their lives.
Posted By: Tombraider Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 9:57pm

I choose my mates based on their morals and ethics. I'm lucky in that I have an honest and genuine group of friends that I trust implicitly. This goes for my school friends, uni friends, work friends and any other friends I have.

Friends are the most important things in my life and I'd do anything for them.
i do agree with the morals and ethnics bit ,that would be honest trustworthy nice well mannered and respectable am i right?
yes i have mates but only a few i do 100% trust at least am being honest so i wouldn t change that.
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 10:00pm
Hi Every body should we leave this shite subject alone and have our usual laugh ,ignore the troubled one it`s clear he can`t /won`t get on ,the bigger the harder they fall ,that goes out to every tit i know ,and there`s only one of them unless god forbid it reproduces .Let`s go back on chat eh don`t let him wind you up lolsee you all on chat in a minit eh smile

Yeah, listen to June, get yourself back on the chat thread, chat some more rubbish.

Clearly anything more than complete and utter illiterate crap threatens you.

This is why Wiki is struggling... it's because everyone just wants to speak to each other in text language about rubbish.

I met up with someone tonight, a member for many, many years, who passed comment that Wiki has gone to the dogs. The better members are either disappearing or getting banned for sticking up for this site passionately.

Congratulations.

Now get back to the chat thread where at least you can be contained.
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 10:03pm
i do agree with the morals and ethnics bit ,that would be honest trustworthy nice well mannered and respectable am i right?
yes i have mates but only a few i do 100% trust at least am being honest so i wouldn t change that.

You're correct.

100% correct.

I started off offering some advice, it finished up with those lacking in conversational skills deciding that being offensive and heading back to the chat thread was the way forward. Attacking my potential parenting skills, the way I was brought up, and the parenting skills of my parents.

Seriously, TR, fair play for sticking it out.

Now, where is ex0_ when you need him?
Posted By: Red_stripe Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 10:05pm

You're correct.

100% correct.

I started off offering some advice, it finished up with those lacking in conversational skills deciding that being offensive and heading back to the chat thread was the way forward. Attacking my potential parenting skills, the way I was brought up, and the parenting skills of my parents.

Seriously, TR, fair play for sticking it out.

Now, where is ex0_ when you need him?
ha
Posted By: Tombraider Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 10:06pm
Thats strange as i met 2 old members at the new year, at a party and they left for different reasons so maybe its 50/50 eh
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 10:08pm
ha

Wiki is full of constructive offerings from members.

The above seems to be one of them whistle
Posted By: Red_stripe Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 10:08pm

Yeah, listen to June, get yourself back on the chat thread, chat some more rubbish.

Clearly anything more than complete and utter illiterate crap threatens you.

This is why Wiki is struggling... it's because everyone just wants to speak to each other in text language about rubbish.

I met up with someone tonight, a member for many, many years, who passed comment that Wiki has gone to the dogs. The better members are either disappearing or getting banned for sticking up for this site passionately.

Congratulations.

Now get back to the chat thread where at least you can be contained.
boohoo
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 10:09pm
maybe its 50/50 eh

Most definitely is not 50/50. Sorry.

Question; do you feel Wiki has changed for the better of late?

(This question extends to any members reading this).
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 10:11pm
boohoo

You're doing nothing for yourself JT.
Posted By: kittykat Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 10:48pm
What makes me laugh is it thinks it's big time on the 4th house!!! Me thinks it's ego has a bigger floor plan than any of the 4 houses! Poor little things pathetic really.
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 10:50pm
Originally Posted by kittykat
What makes me laugh is it thinks it's big time on the 4th house!!! Me thinks it's ego has a bigger floor plan than any of the 4 houses! Poor little things pathetic really.
100% with you kittykat spot on eh
Posted By: Tombraider Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 10:53pm
raftl :r:well said Kitty Cat welcome to wiki x
Posted By: Peanut Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 11:03pm

Ha! Ha! Love it KittyKat. raftl
Posted By: Wench Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 11:28pm
Can we all please keep on topic and stop with the personal insults! If you want to chit-chat, please take it to the "chat thread".

Thank You smile
Posted By: granny Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 11:36pm
Well, this seems to be going well!

Lovely to hear all your aspirations.

JonRon,
I just cannot believe how succesful you are. That, in itself is a remarkable fete as I would assume that you are not too old yet. (I shouldn't assume I know) Anyway, it's great to hear that your life is so good and when you single handedly bring your children into your world I have no doubt they will want for nothing, unless of oourse things turn a bit sour, which they quite often do. Although I am sure you would be able to cope with lifes little traumas as we go along our bumpy path.
Good luck to you.
Posted By: nidgynoo Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 11:50pm
Back to the subject..my only regret is not being there when me mum died..but hey you lot bicker n argue over shite..lifes a likkle bit short!!!!!!
Posted By: granny Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Jan 2012 11:56pm
Originally Posted by nidgynoo
Back to the subject..my only regret is not being there when me mum died..but hey you lot bicker n argue over shite..lifes a likkle bit short!!!!!!

Said it in one Nidgynoo. Life and what we do with it, is very precious. Sorry about your regret.. so very sorry.
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 11th Jan 2012 12:12am
raftl :r:well said Kitty Cat welcome to wiki x

Oh, look, another fake account.

This is all rather tedious.
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 11th Jan 2012 12:13am
Originally Posted by granny
Stuff

liar
Posted By: JonRon Re: What would you have done differently? - 11th Jan 2012 12:15am
Originally Posted by Wench
Can we all please keep on topic and stop with the personal insults! If you want to chit-chat, please take it to the "chat thread".

Thank You smile

Agree Wench. Too many people seem too interested in others business. If they spent as much time on themselves as they do fretting about others successes then their lives would be much more fruitful.

Posted By: poodlepup Re: What would you have done differently? - 11th Jan 2012 12:15am
My only regret is not joining the RAF,but hey i've still made some of my dreams come true.
Posted By: Wench Re: What would you have done differently? - 11th Jan 2012 12:21am
I wish I'd kept walking to the station with my bags when I got in the Army instead of choosing the boyfriend at the time. Mahooooosive regret!!

I wish I'd got up a few hours earlier the day my Dad died so I could have done CPR on him.

I wish I'd not gone into work the day I had my accident! The sane people all stayed at home that day!! (Although I wouldn't have met some really special people had I not had the accident).

Having said all that, apart from my Dad dying, the rest of my life has made me the person I am today. I wouldn't have met the people who mean the world to me now had I gone in the Army then. I still have options Armed Forces wise (surgeon being as shit hot as he seems permitting) so it's not all bad wink Plus, I wouldn't have done Law and got my Qualifications. Thanks to the ex husband for that happy

Posted By: Peanut Re: What would you have done differently? - 11th Jan 2012 12:27am
Too many people seem too interested in others business

I agree 100%
But please look at above posts from Jonron.
Posted By: poodlepup Re: What would you have done differently? - 11th Jan 2012 12:28am
The things we do for boyfriends hey?, as you said Wench,life has turned out pretty well,so it may have been the right choice.

Things happen for a reason....
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: What would you have done differently? - 11th Jan 2012 1:51am
With that pp

Things always happen for reasons
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: What would you have done differently? - 11th Jan 2012 2:21am
Although it was never something I'd even thought of back when I left school, I really wish I'd become a mid-wife or something in the nursing field.
Other than that I'm very happy with my lot and wouldn't change a thing smile

PS Good topic Granny.
Posted By: rocks Re: What would you have done differently? - 11th Jan 2012 9:47am
at school I would have picked a career and stuck to it instead of drifting not knowing what I wanted to do.

as for the hard times iv had and the bad people I allowed into my life I wouldn't change anything it made me the person I am today and maybe my experiences may help someone else make better choices..... I'm a strong believer that things happen for a reason and you end up where your meant to be and right now I'm very happy smile
Posted By: dingle Re: What would you have done differently? - 13th Jan 2012 2:32am
It seems to me that success is seen in all different lights. I am sure would all love to be rich and powerful(rich people normally are). But other things prevail. Families, education and abstract things that makes us happy.

The only thing I regret is not being able to get to Wirral when my mum and dad died. I came to Aus when I was 20 and I believe I have done well, although along the way it hardly seemed like it. I am 63 now and have 3 beautiful children and 4 + 1 on the way magnificent grandchildren. My second wife(first one died) is my best friend, I have a good job and hope to save enough for a comfortable retirement. When I was younger I used to believe in this love stuff, but it is not true. It all comes down to friendship, trust, respect and affection. Love stuff is all superficial and when that fades so does the relationship, look at all the beautiful people who get divorced and can't live together yet they say they love each other. Anyway rant over "Go to it youngun's"
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: What would you have done differently? - 13th Jan 2012 2:42am
Originally Posted by mindplayer
It seems to me that success is seen in all different lights. I am sure would all love to be rich and powerful(rich people normally are). But other things prevail. Families, education and abstract things that makes us happy.

The only thing I regret is not being able to get to Wirral when my mum and dad died. I came to Aus when I was 20 and I believe I have done well, although along the way it hardly seemed like it. I am 63 now and have 3 beautiful children and 4 + 1 on the way magnificent grandchildren. My second wife(first one died) is my best friend, I have a good job and hope to save enough for a comfortable retirement. When I was younger I used to believe in this love stuff, but it is not true. It all comes down to friendship, trust, respect and affection. Love stuff is all superficial and when that fades so does the relationship, look at all the beautiful people who get divorced and can't live together yet they say they love each other. Anyway rant over "Go to it youngun's"

Couldn't have said it better myself, the friendship and trust part is spot on.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: What would you have done differently? - 13th Jan 2012 2:51am
withthat
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: What would you have done differently? - 13th Jan 2012 10:44am
not a lot, im not materialistic or greedy, i like to help others where i can , generally id say i was content

i defo think id probably bitch-slap one or two people that i decided not to at the time
Posted By: Tombraider Re: What would you have done differently? - 13th Jan 2012 1:40pm
Originally Posted by Elizabeth
Originally Posted by mindplayer

Couldn't have said it better myself, the friendship and trust part is spot on.
yes thats true, hard to come by thease days,some nasty ones going about i know wink
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: What would you have done differently? - 13th Jan 2012 2:10pm
A bit late now but I wish I'd been more ambitious instead of being happy with my lot and getting into narks with my bosses, which cost me lots of promotion. Job wise I was at the top end of the skill set. I did have a good time though and I don't really regret that I suppose. It certainly don't do any good getting morose over what might have been, what's done is done. Any young ones out there though, my advice is to go for it and be the best you can. I know you won't bother though, I didn't.
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: What would you have done differently? - 13th Jan 2012 2:15pm
You never know Bandy some might listen because it`s soumd advice your giving
Posted By: derekdwc Re: What would you have done differently? - 13th Jan 2012 2:16pm
Same here Bandycoot
Things were too easy job wise in our day, you could walk out of one job and into another. I don't think they have much choice nowadays, it's a case of get what you can if you can just to have a few bob in your pocket.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: What would you have done differently? - 13th Jan 2012 2:20pm
Soft arse that I was I more or less stayed in the same sort of job but was just more interested in enjoying myself than taking myself too seriously. The longest I was out of work was 11 months after redundancy at Vauxhalls, sheer misery but it worked out in the end. After that I more or less went back to my old trade.
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: What would you have done differently? - 13th Jan 2012 4:29pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
Soft arse that I was I more or less stayed in the same sort of job but was just more interested in enjoying myself than taking myself too seriously. The longest I was out of work was 11 months after redundancy at Vauxhalls, sheer misery but it worked out in the end. After that I more or less went back to my old trade.
Hey Bandy at least you had a trade and who know`s what it be like now .no one will ever answer that .I believe our paths are there set in stone /meant to be as you said you have been happy your still and can`t complain eh smile
Posted By: granny Re: What would you have done differently? - 28th Mar 2012 3:29pm
Found the true answer. This, is what I would have done and will definitely do, if there is a next time around. Blow what people think eh!
It's brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=Rt9hLUIAAB4
Posted By: flybynight Re: What would you have done differently? - 28th Mar 2012 4:16pm
I love that could watch it all day
Posted By: granny Re: What would you have done differently? - 9th Nov 2012 10:54pm
Because I have had a couple of glasses of wine, I have now changed direction and have decided that I would love to have, at some point, been able to become part of a tribe. A friendly tribe like the Maasai people . No computers, no telephones, no council, tax no energy bills. Apart from that, I feel that although a hard life, of which they would have known no difference, they must have a wonderful spirit and be so in tune with wildlife and the earth,I can't think of anything more rewarding.
Yes, you can call me mad, thst's ok.
Posted By: Veronica_Blay Re: What would you have done differently? - 9th Nov 2012 10:59pm
never too late Granny, you dont need wine to change direction xx
Posted By: Henderson13 Re: What would you have done differently? - 9th Nov 2012 11:00pm
As long as its not 1 direction. You can go any direction you want... smile

And Hello Granny!
Posted By: granny Re: What would you have done differently? - 9th Nov 2012 11:57pm
What about you two? No dreams ,no ambitions, no change of direction? You must have. I'm fed up ,thoroughly fed up, because all you young people have the world at your finger tips and instead of watching Xfactor and Get me Out of Here, you must have dreams. Dreams of wonderment and fullfilment.
I am cross eyed right now, must continue tomorrow.
God Bless. goodnight I love you all. x x x x x x x x
Posted By: Veronica_Blay Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Nov 2012 12:02am
What about you two? No dreams ,no ambitions, no change of direction? You must have. I'm fed up ,thoroughly fed up, because all you young people have the world at your finger tips and instead of watching Xfactor and Get me Out of Here, you must have dreams. Dreams of wonderment and fullfilment.
I am cross eyed right now, must continue tomorrow.
God Bless. goodnight I love you all. x x x x x x x x
that is so nice Granny xx
Posted By: Henderson13 Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Nov 2012 12:03am
Hi Granny, I am lucky I have a job which allows me to travel and deal with people from all around the world everyday. Growing up I never thought I would do what I do now. But who does. I wanted to be a archeologist.

I very rarely watch realty TV but I do know what you are talking about.

Concerning a change of direction, I think I need to continue on my current route in order to find the right turn off for me... If that makes sense.
Posted By: granny Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Nov 2012 12:10am
Originally Posted by Henderson13
Hi Granny, I am lucky I have a job which allows me to travel and deal with people from all around the world everyday. Growing up I never thought I would do what I do now. But who does. I wanted to be a archeologist.

I very rarely watch realty TV but I do know what you are talking about.

Concerning a change of direction, I think I need to continue on my current route in order to find the right turn off for me... If that makes sense.
SO much sense. Please God you find your nemesis. My life has been wonderful. Ups and downs,travelling, all experience and right now I feel as if it is not time for me to stop. Hard to know where to go next, but young people should grasp every opportunity they are able to cope with and just go for it! Somany wonders on this earth to enjoy and experience. Oh Lord, too much wine, but it's right fromhe heart.
Posted By: Henderson13 Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Nov 2012 12:14am
Granny - Lovely words and I agree there is alot to see. And I would like ot see the some nice stuff as I have been to places that would make people cry due to the poor standard of living and poverty. Like Malawi, Zimbabwe, India. Shocking how the rich are right next to the poor yet do nothing.

But if I ever get to the level where I never have to think what is ocming out of my bank,I would like to think I would give something back. Anyway I am getting all contemplative now....
Posted By: granny Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Nov 2012 12:28am
Henderson, you are an inspiration. It's your turn now. I have travelled to all the North African countries, Panama,(houses on stilts) Beirut, where we got shot at in 1970's, Turkey , and so many other places of cultural heritage. My ability to understand at that time was not possible.Now I see that we can help, not in a commercial way but in a way that can preserve their wonderful heritage without impeding on their very special way of life and without destroying their very special gift that they keep alive for us.
Posted By: Henderson13 Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Nov 2012 12:33am
Granny I wouldn't go that far... smile I am off to bed, so see you all tomorrow... night
Posted By: granny Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Nov 2012 12:43am
Granny I wouldn't go that far... smile I am off to bed, so see you all tomorrow... night

God Bless, nighty night.
Posted By: Veronica_Blay Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Nov 2012 12:46am

God Bless, nighty night.
God bless him Granny xx
Posted By: granny Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Nov 2012 12:53am
Originally Posted by Veronica_Blay

God Bless, nighty night.
God bless him Granny xx

God Bless you too. V. Love is a wonderful thing.
Posted By: Veronica_Blay Re: What would you have done differently? - 10th Nov 2012 12:59am
So nice words Granny Thanks xx
© Wirral-Wikiwirral