Forums
Can anyone help? My father died recently and my mum is now living alone at home. She has vascular dementia and needs carers coming into the house at regular intervals. The carers provided so far by Social Services are not very good and I don't feel I can trust them to look after my mum. Can anyone recommend a caring agency on the Wirral? (sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place - I'm a new user!)
Sorry about your predicament, it must be very difficult seeing your Mum like this frown Why don't you feel that the carers are very good, have they done something to prove they're incapable? Have you contacted social services to discuss your concerns and maybe see if there are other carers within social services who may be a better 'fit' for your mother's needs?
Good luck though
Send me a PM - I am out of the UK now, but due back next week, my sons girlfriend has worked for a couple care firms on the Wirral - perhaps she can recommend
If there are any problems with the care being provided to your mum you need to ask social services to review the package of care. You can do this by calling the Central Advice and Duty Team on 606 2006.
If Soc Servs are funding the care it will be from one of the contracted providers so not easy to pick your own without losing the funding. The thing you need to do is ask the social worker to arrange a Personal Budget, this is where you receive a sum of money rather than the carers, it allows you to buy your own support from any agency/person of your choice.
Any probs PM me.
Nestor Healthcare, formerly Goldsborough, are on the contracted list of Social Services. They looked after my late elderly neighbour with twice-daily home visits and he had nothing but praise for the carers & their service.
SAGA Homecare Birkenhead (Nestor Healthcare)
Suites 1, 3, 4 & 5, Claughton Chambers, 36 Upton Road, Claughton, Birkenhead, CH41 0DF
0844 736 8290

Quality Care Commission report on SAGA (Nestor Healthcare):
http://www.cqc.org.uk/statement/04/296035
Posted By: Wench Re: Recommendation for Carer Organisation for my Mum - 30th Nov 2011 10:52am
I have Professional Carers each day and the Carers that come are all great. Very professional, clean, polite, patient and thorough. I've not had any problems with the ladies (and one man) that they've sent to see me thus far.

Their office is based at 225a Seaview Road, contact number is 638 4500. They are provided for me via Social Services.

Hope that helps smile
hi sorry to hear about your ums ilness i work for a company called mears based in moreton who i find they are a good company and have good carers 0151 641 8860
Thanks - I'm not sure how the care was funded before, I think the council gave them money to pay the carers? Is this the same as a Personal Budget?
Thank you!
Thanks - that's really why I'm asking for any recommendations for carers. Thanks for your concern though grin
Thanks to everyone for their comments! Any feedback on Helping Hands, Local Solutions and Bluebird Carers? confused
Originally Posted by Oxton_Nut
Thanks - I'm not sure how the care was funded before, I think the council gave them money to pay the carers? Is this the same as a Personal Budget?

That could be either a Direct Payment or Personal Budget.
The first thing to do is identify what you are not happy with. Is it the timeings of the calls, attitudes of the carers, when the needs are being met etc have a look at the carefile, speak to the agency. The next thing to do would be to review the whole package so call CADT on 606 2006 and explain the problems.
Good luck
Paul (social worker!)
Originally Posted by Glocko
Originally Posted by Oxton_Nut

That could be either a Direct Payment or Personal Budget.
The first thing to do is identify what you are not happy with. Is it the timeings of the calls, attitudes of the carers, when the needs are being met etc have a look at the carefile, speak to the agency. The next thing to do would be to review the whole package so call CADT on 606 2006 and explain the problems.
Good luck
Paul (social worker!)

Thanks Paul - you've been a real help! smile
personally i wouldnt go with bluebird care i worked there for a month and left local solutions not a bad company tho
we have an elderly relative living with us and we had local solutions come in twice a day.
i cant really recomend them as after a while i asked them not to come back because i had quite a few concerns about the attitude and capability of some of the so called carers coming into our home, i wont go into detail. now i take care of my relatives personal needs as well as juggling a family which is hard work but our experiance with local solutions has put us off care organisations now. i hope you find what you need but i would suggest really researching any company you go with.

i must add though that just because i had my problems with them other people may find them ok i dont know of anyone else who has used them,
I once employed the Jeremy Clarkson Care Emporium to look after my sick grannie. I was a little perturbed when I discovered that she had been boiled in oil because she was over seventy. Clarkson explained that this was standard procedure which ensured early death, thus saving on food and bedding costs. This probably explains why Clarkson's thirty-two bedroom home was staffed by only one matron and one cleaner. The matron ran the oilbath and the cleaner washed up the mess. I was so incensed, I contacted David cameron, only to discover that he was unavailable as he was on holiday in the Cayman Islands with his bessy mate-Jeremy Clarkson!
wow thought they were an ok company i work for mears care in moreton and have no trouble with carers or complaints
Mears nurses are fantastic!! Love the red uniforms too!! You guys looked after my mum-in-law when she had lung cancer. She was always full of praise for you. I was just thinking that you'd never get a job at Clarkson's Care Emporium (fictitious by the way!!) You are all much too nice for that!! :-)
thanks for that comment its nice when people appreciate what we do and we try are best to keep the service users happy and independant.again thanks for your comment (mears care wirral)
No worries. When I win the lottery-you guys are first on the list. You could never put a price on how you allowed my mum-in-law to die with dignity and respect. She really appreciated the hugs too!! :-)
Originally Posted by fruitcake
we have an elderly relative living with us and we had local solutions come in twice a day.
i cant really recomend them as after a while i asked them not to come back because i had quite a few concerns about the attitude and capability of some of the so called carers coming into our home, i wont go into detail. now i take care of my relatives personal needs as well as juggling a family which is hard work but our experiance with local solutions has put us off care organisations now. i hope you find what you need but i would suggest really researching any company you go with.

i must add though that just because i had my problems with them other people may find them ok i dont know of anyone else who has used them,

Thanks for this - Does this mean you did your research and didn't find any care agency you were happy with? I'm finding that everyone has something good or bad to say about all of the care agencies - will just have to hope I pick the right one so I don't have to put mum through yet more upheaval because I might have to change the carers I choose.
Originally Posted by FiremanFil
I once employed the Jeremy Clarkson Care Emporium to look after my sick grannie. I was a little perturbed when I discovered that she had been boiled in oil because she was over seventy. Clarkson explained that this was standard procedure which ensured early death, thus saving on food and bedding costs. This probably explains why Clarkson's thirty-two bedroom home was staffed by only one matron and one cleaner. The matron ran the oilbath and the cleaner washed up the mess. I was so incensed, I contacted David cameron, only to discover that he was unavailable as he was on holiday in the Cayman Islands with his bessy mate-Jeremy Clarkson!

Very good... doh
hi
unfortunately local solutions were appointed to us by social services and at the time we didnt really feel like we had a choice. i think we were lucky in a way that i was home whenever the carers came in and was able to see for myself how they were with my relative, at times i would have to take him back into his room after they had left to wash and dress him again because it looked like they hadnt done anything just got him straight out of bed and shoved his clothes on normally inside out or back to front.
Originally Posted by fruitcake
hi
unfortunately local solutions were appointed to us by social services and at the time we didnt really feel like we had a choice. i think we were lucky in a way that i was home whenever the carers came in and was able to see for myself how they were with my relative, at times i would have to take him back into his room after they had left to wash and dress him again because it looked like they hadnt done anything just got him straight out of bed and shoved his clothes on normally inside out or back to front.

How awful - this sounds like a similar situation regarding the attitude and capability of some of the carers coming into mum's home. Also, the carers said they were frequently asked to squeeze more calls in, so they had very busy schedules, and were sent out at very short notice, not knowing properly what they were supposed to be doing. Even so, some of the carers were still very good - it was the attitude and professionalism of their 'office' who sent them out which I feel was the root of the problem. I won't go into detail either. I hope you're managing OK now. Thanks for your feedback.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral