Forums
Posted By: Bluesman The lone house on Illchester Road - 9th Aug 2011 9:11pm
After they pulled down a lot of the River Streets there is one house that still stands occupied.

Does anyone know the story behind that? How come all the other houses are gone and this one is allowed to stay?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The lone house on Illchester Road - 9th Aug 2011 9:13pm
His name is Charlie Wright. He once owned the Rivers Street Community Centre (or still does) and he won't move because he believes the developers have destroyed the community.
Posted By: Bluesman Re: The lone house on Illchester Road - 9th Aug 2011 9:23pm
Thanks for that Paul. How come he wasn't forced to move? I thought compulsory purchase meant you have to go if they say?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The lone house on Illchester Road - 9th Aug 2011 9:26pm
They can't force compulsory purchase unless they have definite plans as to what is replacing it, which in this case, they didn't.

And there have been a few battles over it but Charlie won every time (apart from his sloping flag which he had to take down and now he has flags at front and back correctly aligned)
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: The lone house on Illchester Road - 9th Aug 2011 9:30pm
meet Charlie a few times top bloke!
Posted By: Bluesman Re: The lone house on Illchester Road - 9th Aug 2011 9:36pm
I bet he is. I always smile when I head up Beaufort Road and see his house. Thanks for the info.
Posted By: rockster Re: The lone house on Illchester Road - 9th Aug 2011 9:51pm
Good on him
I cant believe he's held out this long.
Which street was the one filmed in the eighties documentary.
Something like only three people in the street had jobs.
It was around there somwhere.
Posted By: freakybritgal Re: The lone house on Illchester Road - 9th Aug 2011 10:12pm
Yep Charlie he used to be some sort of union rep so he knows his rights lol
My friend knocked at his house to see if he wanted to change his gas and electric supplier
Posted By: davew3 Re: The lone house on Illchester Road - 10th Aug 2011 7:16am
I thought they were going to use that area for the super police station that the Liebour goverment had planned, supposidly to save money but mainly to house you until you payed up for not having your id card with you.

Thankfully it never came off, but never can be a short or very long time.
Posted By: donno Re: The lone house on Illchester Road - 10th Aug 2011 7:50am
I think it was Tees Street that was filmed in the Eighties documentary
Posted By: johnnyp Re: The lone house on Illchester Road - 10th Aug 2011 7:31pm
Charlie is a top bloke. I made a short documentary film about housing 'regeneration' on Merseyside and Charlie kindly agreed to tell his story. You can see it on Vimeo - An Englishman's Home
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: The lone house on Illchester Road - 10th Aug 2011 7:36pm
Originally Posted by johnnyp
Charlie is a top bloke. I made a short documentary film about housing 'regeneration' on Merseyside and Charlie kindly agreed to tell his story. You can see it on Vimeo - An Englishman's Home
Thankyou and welcome sir happy
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: The lone house on Illchester Road - 10th Aug 2011 7:37pm
Originally Posted by rockster
Good on him
I cant believe he's held out this long.
Which street was the one filmed in the eighties documentary.
Something like only three people in the street had jobs.
It was around there somwhere.
Tees Street smile
Posted By: donno Re: The lone house on Illchester Road - 10th Aug 2011 7:49pm
Thanks johnnyp, I just watched what a brill documentary and yes Charlie is a top bloke....I was thinking of the world in action documentaries my mistake..
Posted By: Bluesman Re: The lone house on Illchester Road - 10th Aug 2011 9:28pm
Excellent documentary. Thank you for sharing that Johnnyp
Top quality film

Cheers
Posted By: SoundLad Re: The lone house on Illchester Road - 28th Dec 2011 9:44am
Donno the world in action documentary can be found on here.. The World in Action was Tees Street isnt working... The videos can be found here:

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...eal_old_videos_of_wirral.html#Post167286
Posted By: donno Re: The lone house on Illchester Road - 1st Mar 2013 9:22am
Originally Posted by SoundLad
Donno the world in action documentary can be found on here.. The World in Action was Tees Street isnt working... The videos can be found here:

Just seen this Thanks. I was brought up in Tees Street. It was a good place back then...
Posted By: dave2745 Re: The lone house on Illchester Road - 18th Apr 2013 1:07pm
Originally Posted by donno
Originally Posted by SoundLad

Just seen this Thanks. I was brought up in Tees Street. It was a good place back then...

Wow donno, it really is a small world, I lived in Tees Street from 1958 until 1994 when they decided to pull it down. In fact, I appeared in the 1985 TV Eye documentary "Tees Street Isn't Working". I have some great childhood memories of Teeog (as we used to call it). I can even remember the fights with sticks and stones, we used to have with the Ilchester Square mob but no idea what they were over! But mostly they were good memories. It annoys me that the Council, in their infinite wisdom, decided to turn it into a cark park! I tell you, mate, if someone built a time machine and offered me a one way ticket back to my childhood on Tees Street, I'd accept it in a heartbeat!

However, getting back to Charlie Wright, I admire the guy for sticking it out this long. I call his house "The Little House on the Prairie".

Posted By: donno Re: The lone house on Illchester Road - 10th Aug 2013 7:25pm
Yes Dave2745. I'd go back to "teeog" (as we also called it that too) any day. It was a street were everyone watched out for each other and looked after each other. If i came home from school and no one was home i could easily let my self in. If i couldn't be bothered walking round back to the open back door (every one left theres open). I just put my arm through letter box and key was there hanging on string (same as most homes in the street). We moved there about 1973 and left just after the TV eye documentary.

I'm guessing you lived down bottom end nearer murphys. I was top end by green box.

I parked on that car park last week and tried to park on exact spot were my house used to be Lol.

Charlie was and still is a legend.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The lone house on Illchester Road - 25th May 2019 1:37pm
Charlie wright might not be on his own much longer https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/man-last-house-standing-birkenhead-16328828
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The lone house on Illchester Road - 17th Aug 2019 2:10am
Planning permission has been put in to demolish the supporting empty houses either side of Charlie Wright's and make good his house https://planning.wirral.gov.uk/onli...WIRRA_DCAPR_106625&activeTab=summary in advance of them building new houses around him.

Workers were there today.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: The lone house on Illchester Road - 17th Aug 2019 1:30pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Planning permission has been put in to demolish the supporting empty houses either side of Charlie Wright's and make good his house https://planning.wirral.gov.uk/onli...WIRRA_DCAPR_106625&activeTab=summary in advance of them building new houses around him.

Workers were there today.

How long have those properties been standing empty for?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The lone house on Illchester Road - 17th Aug 2019 6:00pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_

2001 I think, only 18 years but seems longer, the other side of the road was knocked down earlier, around 1995.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: The lone house on Illchester Road - 18th Aug 2019 11:41pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Originally Posted by _Ste_

2001 I think, only 18 years but seems longer, the other side of the road was knocked down earlier, around 1995.

Thanks DD.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral