Forums
hi all,
would really like your opinions on whether a youth club of some sort would benefit 10-18 children...could you please answer the following questions

1. which area you live in?

2. does your area have any facilities and resources for children after school?

3. what resources would you like to see available for the teenagers ?

4. how much per session would you consider value for money?

5. any other remarks you may feel appropriate

reason i am asking is because I am thinking of opening omething up for teenagers in the wirral area but would like peoples opinions first

Very small youth club!
10-18 year olds sorry
Only kidding,Tee Hee.
do you have any input you can advise me on lud
Sorry Rocky, no can do,I lost any connection with tenagers and their needs decades ago,but I do wish you the very best of luck in your endeavours.
ty lud x
i gather most members on here dont have teenage children then or will i be flogging a dead horse lol
RQ my daughter is 17 years old but if i were to answer your questions, they wouldn't be 'constructive' to your research.
Sorry and good luck.
thanx rude, i just want to start something for the youth x
To stick my oar in- I live in Seacombe and my daughter did the Rainbow / Brownie thing. At 17 years old, I can't visualise her joining a group involving 10-13 year olds (kids).
For what its worth, i think you have a valid idea but its a matter of 'catching them young' and then maintaining the interest..
Apologies if you find this patronising.,
My kids are grown up and down south anyway.
Wirral council have a list of community centres - maybe it is worth getting some advice from one of them
http://www.wirral.gov.uk/my-services/community-and-living/community-centres-and-youth-hubs
Originally Posted by rocketqueen
thanx rude, i just want to start something for the youth x
Glad someone does!! As i've said Good Luck x
I think the 'difficult age' is 13-17. They not kids, nor adults??
Possibly something Sport orientated??
I think the 'difficult age' is 13-17. They not kids, nor adults??
Possibly something Sport orientated??
Posted By: Anonymous Re: serious question to all parents of teenage kids - 22nd Mar 2011 10:13pm
I grew up without utilising any form of youth club or planned activities and I didn't get into trouble or get an ASBO, or vandalise things etc etc.

You should probably start a parenting skills workshop - although having said that, the parents of the trouble makers in the deprived areas are probably not in the least bit interested in becoming good parents.

Originally Posted by Alex85
I grew up without utilising any form of youth club or planned activities and I didn't get into trouble or get an ASBO, or vandalise things etc etc.

You should probably start a parenting skills workshop - although having said that, the parents of the trouble makers in the deprived areas are probably not in the least bit interested in becoming good parents.

alex you cant make assumptions like this.... bad parenting comes from all walks of life not just deprived areas...you would be very suprised how many professional people neglect their childrens needs....

thanx softy, just want to know what parents and their teenagers want at the moment, i really want to bring a youth centre into the 21nd century, not the same old stuff...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: serious question to all parents of teenage kids - 22nd Mar 2011 10:28pm

alex you cant make assumptions like this.... bad parenting comes from all walks of life not just deprived areas...you would be very suprised how many professional people neglect their childrens needs....

I know, and I know.

But I don't suppose you are looking at setting up youth activities in Caldy, right?
alex i am looking at an area IN NEED of some form of youth club..
asked my 14 yr old about this and she said personally she would not go cos its just gonna be full of chavs n dickheads,

sorry couldnt be more help

verysorry
Posted By: Anonymous Re: serious question to all parents of teenage kids - 23rd Mar 2011 7:31am
alex i am looking at an area IN NEED of some form of youth club..

But you don't need to research too much to realise that the areas 'in need' aren't going to be the 'nicer' areas.

tyvm jabber that is the exact type of thing i am after....i want to put a different slant on youth clubs instead of the old pool table, table tennis..etc etc..i want a youth club to be more personalized to suit the needs of all children...

a place of safety is firstly my proirity, where children will feel inclusivity and equality x
as typical with kids of her age, she says computers, online games, music

it seems but most kids have this at home already in the safest environment.
Wrong i know, but thats the way of it, kids dont "play out " enough these days, i have to hassle her to go and visit her mates down the road. Her argument is thats shes already chatting to them online
nono
Originally Posted by jabber
as typical with kids of her age, she says computers, online games, music

it seems but most kids have this at home already in the safest environment.
Wrong i know, but thats the way of it, kids dont "play out " enough these days, i have to hassle her to go and visit her mates down the road. Her argument is thats shes already chatting to them online
nono

lmao jabber, this is the problem, children dont want to get about now, they want to be stuck indoors....
hmm my brain cells will work overtime on this one i think lol

but am marking down these ideas you have given me but yes you are right, most childen have these resources at home...ty x
ill have a serious chat with her later after school for you, see if she can be of any help wink
aww tyvm jabber that is very kind of you x
http://www.teenwirral.com/
just watched the vid on rampworks my 212 year old has been a few times with his stunt bike.He really enjoys it there & has a great day out.
Originally Posted by starakita
just watched the vid on rampworks my 212 year old has been a few times with his stunt bike.He really enjoys it there & has a great day out.

The exercise has given your child a very long life, whats your secret Star.
Originally Posted by bert1
[quote=starakita]just watched the vid on rampworks my 212 year old has been a few times with his stunt bike.He really enjoys it there & has a great day out.

The exercise has given your child a very long life, whats your secret Star. [/ I must be looking good for my age then I meant to put 12
lmao jabber, this is the problem, children dont want to get about now, they want to be stuck indoors....

It interests me that you consider this to be a problem. What's your reasoning?
Hello Rocket Queen Well done you for thinking of this ,I hope you do alright with your project .I think that the youth of today are aimlessley going nowhere because of the lack of interests.Times have changed your right it is now not enough to throw a pool table in or a set of darts ,it will pass the time of day for now but will only end up doing the same thing later on in the pub.If they were introduced to some thing unusually interesting to them they might just sit up and take some notice of what you are trying to achieve If you can get these kids to feel proud of what they do, that could possibly change attitudes all a round GOOD LUCK ANY WAY JUNE
Originally Posted by ex0__

It interests me that you consider this to be a problem. What's your reasoning?
*rolls eyes* at your comment ex-0.
I've had the pleasure of speaking to you on another forum-we KNOW that you 'get off' on attempting to create 'debates'!
Posted By: ex0__ Re: serious question to all parents of teenage kids - 27th May 2011 11:35pm
I was simply interested in her thoughts on the matter o.O.

How about you get over yourself and if what I said doesn't interest you simply don't respond to my posts?

As far as 'debate' goes, this is a forum and this thread is a discussion. Am I not allowed to participate because I wouldn't humour your foulmouthed little friend who thought she needed a medium because one of her roommates convinced her a ghost was 'moving furniture' and scratching words into her friends back?
I notice the thread you're referring to on paradisepeninsula was removed. Bet you guys felt pretty embarrassed after it turned out you were tricked by a bunch of kids into believing their house was haunted, huh?

tl;dr don't like my posts? don't respond to them, simple.
Posted By: ad3000 Re: serious question to all parents of teenage kids - 27th May 2011 11:45pm
hello Rocketqueen
its good to hear someone speaking up about doing something positive for the next generation, instead of mumbling and tutting the eternal 'youth of today' nonsense.
The fact is, the adult generation of the day has always said it about the young, even in discovered texts from Roman times!

As a trained youth and community worker, Ive had experience of street work, community based personal development and also traditional youth club work.
I was also the onsite 'official' youth worker at Club Freedom, which was a private venture down at New Brighton front, some 10 years ago.

There are in essence several ways you could go with a 'youth club', and its important to be focused on where you would want to take it, who you are targeting, and the goals you are setting.
Also for a kickoff, anyone working there as regular staff would certainly need an enhanced CRB check.
I Notice a certain users desperate attempts 2 cause shit on every topic with them in too !! easily amused much......
anyway....
i have 3 teenagers 12,14&15yrs old an there is hardly anything to do for there age group around here (as far as i know of anyway ?) and i would say the more there are to interest teenagers with a variety of different things would greatly decrease the vandalism ,asbos and gangs in the long run ! on the ford there's gangs of around 50(NO Exaggeration!!)i see too many times and each time without fail you can see there looking hard for something or someone to destroy in there paths !! my kids aren't any of these may i add! im one of the very few that would fkin kill them if i seen them do half the stuff iv witnessed, mine have friends on another estate and have only a 1night a week activity youth group they attend which is nowhere near enough
© Wirral-Wikiwirral