Forums
Posted By: ema_lou decent primary schools Wallasey? - 7th Mar 2011 9:02am
Got to apply for my son in September, i know greenleas is supposed to be good but hard to get into! Can anyone tell me where else is supposed to be good? Hoping to move back west kirby/heswall way next year where i work and my family and everything else are, if housing market picks up but until then need he'll have to go to school this way because of 'catchment' area rules! Thanks
Posted By: polo_phil Re: decent primary schools Wallasey? - 7th Mar 2011 9:14am
St Georges happy
Posted By: sparky Re: decent primary schools Wallasey? - 7th Mar 2011 10:56am
Mount Primary
Posted By: Anonymous Re: decent primary schools Wallasey? - 7th Mar 2011 12:25pm
St. Georges or Mount Primary as above are meant to be the best.

I went to Mount Primary!
Posted By: ema_lou Re: decent primary schools Wallasey? - 7th Mar 2011 1:30pm
Thank you smile will have a look at their ofsted reports! My primary school ended up getting closed down 2 years ago because of less and less pupils attending! I think there where only 100 when i left 13 years ago lol
Posted By: manic28_am Re: decent primary schools Wallasey? - 7th Mar 2011 5:01pm
All primary schools around the Wirral are good. Ofsted don't give a true picture. Neither do the league tables. Go on how happy the children are and consider what you want in terms of extra-curricular the older your children get as some schools offer a wider variety. I'd be hesitant to say some schools are 'better' than others. Some just offer different things.
Posted By: ema_lou Re: decent primary schools Wallasey? - 7th Mar 2011 8:41pm
Hmmm would like to agree with you but unfortunately i personally do think there are 'good' and 'bad' schools. Extra curricular activities aren't top priority for me personally because (I'm lucky enough to be able to) but i do and would continue paying for him to participate in private ones such as football, drama, swimming, playing an instrument etc. For me personally thats not what school is about. Your right in saying ofsted don't tell you about the school as such and you need to choose according to what you expect/want for your child. I personally want him to be happy and happy to learn because the make in fun to do so in hopefully a bully free environment and supportive teachers.
Posted By: mrhanky Re: decent primary schools Wallasey? - 7th Mar 2011 11:47pm
Originally Posted by polo_phil
St Georges happy

yup, great school. my lad went there and when we went to the open evening at calday they even said about it being a very good school.
Posted By: ema_lou Re: decent primary schools Wallasey? - 8th Mar 2011 6:59am
Thank you smile
Posted By: Liscarded Re: decent primary schools Wallasey? - 27th Mar 2011 8:10am
i whent too Liscard primery, didnt du me eny halm.

smile
Posted By: wallaseyjohn Re: decent primary schools Wallasey? - 23rd Apr 2011 10:12am
I went to Poulton Primary.

It wasn't terrible, but I would say it was great either. My mum used to teach at St Albans, and I would be in there quite often to help with days out or other bits of simple stuff - in fact, I'd been going in to help for longer than some of the staff had been there.

They've had a lot of money spent on the school, so it's really up to date inside.

Bit far to travel from West Kirby though?

My mum has taught in quite a lot of the schools around the Wirral (Greenleas and Liscard included) as she was a supply teacher for a while.
Posted By: wallaseyjohn Re: decent primary schools Wallasey? - 23rd Apr 2011 10:19am
{I see this forum allows around 2 minutes before editing is blocked :D}

I think she may have even been in Mount and St Georges a few times.

The Ofsted reports are highly 'dodgy'. Basically, unless they add to or change the report each time they visit, it looks as if they're not actively pushing the schools or monitoring them. I'm sure my mum could write you a heavy book on the topic but, suffice it to say, they are not the sole method you should use to judge the school.

I seem to remember Poulton getting a fairly high mark at one point, when I wouldn't say it really deserved one while I was there.

I'll ask her which were her favourite if I see her and let you know.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral