Forums
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Assisted Suicide - 28th Jan 2011 6:41pm
just opening a serious topic here and was wondering what the wiki group thought about this subject? should it be allowed? when do you draw the line? or maybe there should be a disclaimer of sorts??

Over to you Wirral
Posted By: bert1 Re: Assisted Suicide - 28th Jan 2011 7:04pm
I've no problem with it myself, providing the person who needs assisting makes that decision whilst in sound mind and in front of independent competent professionals, also at least 2 doctors confirm there is no chance of recovery from their problem, short of a miracle.
Posted By: sarahdavo Re: Assisted Suicide - 28th Jan 2011 9:46pm
I have no problem with it, should be up to the individual, to chose. If a peron has a terminal illness and their future is grim, just pain and suffering and eventual death, then i think its good to have that chose.
Posted By: woodley Re: Assisted Suicide - 29th Jan 2011 4:31am
Pneumonia used to be known as "the old peoples friend". There is nothing more sad than seeing an old person in a vegetative state [having been in that condition for years] being given antibiotics, then recovering to the same sad condition. We do not allow animals to suffer this way and yet it is acceptable for humans. I for one will never understand the reasoning behind this.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Assisted Suicide - 29th Jan 2011 12:00pm
Totally agree,Summer!
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: Assisted Suicide - 29th Jan 2011 12:05pm
I completely agree with you all (especially Ruth) why can we 'put down' an animal to save it's suffering but not ourselves.It's madness.
Bert and Sarah also have valid points (if the future is painfull and undignified so be it)

Anybody who has ever heard the 'death rattle' will know what this post is about.
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: Assisted Suicide - 29th Jan 2011 12:56pm
No I'm all good thanks summer.Thankfully this ball has not landed in my court,just a 'pals' who doesn't know what to do short of going to switzerland.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Assisted Suicide - 29th Jan 2011 5:39pm
It can't be long before this country introduces some sort of formal procedure for euthanasia on humanitarian grounds.

Unfortunately with all the fuss about it, many doctors who used to give large doses of morphine etc that was "appropriate for the level of pain", yet knowing these were toxic levels, no longer can do so for fear of recrimination. Outcome is that people suffer more - pathetic!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Assisted Suicide - 26th Feb 2011 11:08am
Although I'm not a full member of Exit International, I do subscribe to the online version of their "Peaceful Pill Handbook".
I was at the Exit meeting in Cardiff on Thursday & found it interesting & useful. There was an attempt to cancel the seminar part of the meeting, but Dr. Nitschke managed to hold it. More info. about Exit in this link; also there is a BBC interview with Dr. Nitschke.
http://www.exitinternational.com/
I strongly believe in planning for a peaceful exit if life becomes intolerable and I have the necessary equipment to hand. This in itself enables me to relax to a great extent. I think it's a mistake not to make plans while you're fit & able & I certainly wouldn't wish to place on anyone else the burden of assisting my suicide. Remember, suicide isn't a crime, but assisting someone is punishable by up to 14 years in prison, although recent statements by Keir Starmer, Director of Public Prosecutions lead one to believe that a more lenient attitude is likely, however, the law still stands.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Assisted Suicide - 26th Feb 2011 11:27am
I am very glad to hear Chris is not a full member of exit international, what would we do without him. wink

I remember years ago, someone in a very poorly condition saying they would gladly end it all, but so and so wouldn't get a penny, of course referring to any insurance payout to their loved one. Has that position changed now, due to suicide not being illegal.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Assisted Suicide - 26th Feb 2011 12:15pm
Originally Posted by bert1
I am very glad to hear Chris is not a full member of exit international, what would we do without him. wink

I remember years ago, someone in a very poorly condition saying they would gladly end it all, but so and so wouldn't get a penny, of course referring to any insurance payout to their loved one. Has that position changed now, due to suicide not being illegal.

This question was raised at the Cardiff meeting. It seems that the majority of insurance policies have an exclusion period, usually a year, so it would seem sensible not to commit suicide within that period. The only sure way is to read the policy.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral