Forums
Posted By: Trearan Sign petition to save New Ferry Butterfly Park - 3rd Dec 2009 11:34pm
New Ferry Regeneration Action Group is asking residents to sign a petition to save New Ferry Butterfly Park.

The park, once a coal yard and railway sidings, sits next to Bebington Station, behind the Aldi store. It has been in existence for over 16 years and has been run by local community volunteers with the support of the Cheshire Wildlife Trust. It is one of the best butterfly sites in Cheshire, and also home to many other mini-beasts such as spiders, moths, bumble bees, grasshoppers, shield bugs, woodlice, snails and hoverflies. The park is used for education and training, from infant schoolchildren up to post-graduate professionals, as well as quiet recreation and enjoyment of wildlife. Its unusual management has featured in national scientific journals. The park is a well respected example of a community-run piece of open space which everyone can enjoy.

The landowner, Brock plc, has told the Cheshire Wildlife Trust (CWT), which holds the lease, to vacate the Park by the end of January 2010, and have refused repeated offers by CWT to buy it.

We have started a petition asking Wirral Borough Council to use all measures within its powers to save New Ferry Butterfly Park. You can sign the petition at http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/savethebutterflypark

Find out more about the Butterfly Park at www.newferryonline.org.uk Click on "Parks & Open Spaces", then "Butterfly Park".

yerr bud signed thumbsup
Posted By: SUExx Re: Sign petition to save New Ferry Butterfly Park - 4th Dec 2009 10:50am
signed as well, i could not as it was my dad that set the butterfly park up, and in his memory i would like to see it stay.
Signed. You must be proud sue, nice one 'dad'.
Thought some may like to see the mail I recieved today

Dear All
Thank you for signing the New Ferry Butterfly Park petition. You will be pleased to hear that, partly as a result of the level of public support which has been demonstrated, Wirral Borough Council took the decision on 14th January 2010 to issue a Compulsory Purchase Order for the Park, which should safeguard its future. This process has now started, but takes some time to complete, so we are not celebrating yet.

We hope you do not mind us telling you about progress - we will delete your e-mail addess from our computer as soon as the campaign is ended. Obviously we will not pass it to anyone else.

Thank you
Hilary Ash
for New Ferry Butterfly Park committee

Posted By: purfek Re: Sign petition to save New Ferry Butterfly Park - 20th Jan 2010 10:02pm
Wasnt Mell Roberts instrumental in the setting up of the Butterfly Park? If so then perhaps its time to give Riverside a nudge. I knew Mel For many years and took up his post on the WTA he was also a Riverside Board Member.

katrina
Posted By: SUExx Re: Sign petition to save New Ferry Butterfly Park - 21st Jan 2010 6:19am
Originally Posted by purfek
Wasnt Mell Roberts instrumental in the setting up of the Butterfly Park? If so then perhaps its time to give Riverside a nudge. I knew Mel For many years and took up his post on the WTA he was also a Riverside Board Member.

katrina

Yes he was instrumental in setting the Butterfly Park up, as his daughter im pleased it has been saved.
Your right purfek about Riverside he was a board member, it would be great if they got involved.
Posted By: purfek Re: Sign petition to save New Ferry Butterfly Park - 21st Jan 2010 12:21pm
Hi, Susan,
I have just spoken with Riverside Housing but I cannot find a contact number regarding who has taken up the butterfly park since your dad did? Riverside are going to look back through their archives, as I have pointed out that Riverside did fund the Butterfly park in the past.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral