Forums
Posted By: Mr_Ice_Man What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 20th Jan 2009 11:19am
I need a skip really but they cost silly money, is there a free skip service or anything like that?

What it is, ive been sorting loads out inside the house and i have loads of junk to bin but far to much for a wheely bin and some of the stuff includes wooden desk and cabinets and just general stuff really.

Bareing in mind we have lived here over 35 years lol.
Anyone know of any services.
WIRE or Charles Thompson Mission collect usable furniture.
Rubbish removals are cheaper than skips, they just throw it on a lorry.

http://www.livercm.org.uk/ctm1.html
http://www.wire-ltd.com/

Try advertising anything that might be useful here on wikiwirral, there are plenty of magpies like me!
Posted By: Handbag Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 20th Jan 2009 11:49am
it would depend on the type of items that you have. I'm not sure if the ERIC service has started charing for removal of household items yet, it used to be a free service for anyone with bulky household items to dispose of but we were told recently that there would be a charge of £20 to cover their costs. Even with a charge of £20 (not sure if its 4 or 6 items they will take)for removal of electrical items or furniture its cheap. You also know that your rubbish is being recycled or disposed of properly.

For information you can email STREETSCENE
[email protected].

or contact the ERIC SERVICE by phone on 0151 606 2004
Posted By: MissGuided Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 20th Jan 2009 11:52am
Eric picked up from us the other day - still free. Think its mainly old household appliances - they took our washing machine.
Posted By: Handbag Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 20th Jan 2009 11:56am
They do take furniture too ... desks 3 piece suites etc as well as appliances they used to take household rubbish a few years ago so long as it was properly bagged. I'm glad its still free though! It must be April that they will be starting to charge for it. Quick phone them and get rid of your junk LOL
Posted By: Jubbly Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 20th Jan 2009 12:01pm
There are restrictions on the ERIC service but some things are still free. See here for more info:

http://www.wirral.gov.uk/LGCL/100006/200084/528/content_0000723.html

Posted By: Mr_Ice_Man Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 20th Jan 2009 12:08pm
Thanks for that guys, do you know if the weekly rubbish collections will take bags if we put them next to the green bin?
I'm almost certain that if it won't fit in your green bin then it gets left.
Originally Posted by Mr_Ice_Man
Thanks for that guys, do you know if the weekly rubbish collections will take bags if we put them next to the green bin?

Not supposed to, some do, depends on individual bimen and what area you live. Generally its better to pile high with lid openish, you can get prosecuted for leaving bags on the deck.

Haven't you got any neighbours that can put a bag or two in their bins?
Posted By: Handbag Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 20th Jan 2009 12:28pm
They're not supposed to... but I know that on the odd occasion they have done for some of my neighbours, I think that it is at the discretion of the binment themselves. You could always 'check ' your neighbours bins after they have put them out for collection and see if you can fit yours in..
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 20th Jan 2009 7:17pm
Originally Posted by Mr_Ice_Man

NO!

Because of needles and stuff, but they let you throw them in the wagon if you wait for them wink
Posted By: AX_125 Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 21st Jan 2009 9:54pm
over the past 12 months ERIC has taken the following things from me for free

1 x fridge
1 x fridge freezer
1 x oven
3 x sofa's
Posted By: jimbob Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 21st Jan 2009 10:27pm
No wonder my council tax is so high, its time they stopped this Eric service then they can give me a bigger council tax cut by adding what they save to what they are going to give us all now they are closing the library's and other things. { dream on}
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 21st Jan 2009 10:40pm
Originally Posted by jimbob
No wonder my council tax is so high, its time they stopped this Eric service then they can give me a bigger council tax cut by adding what they save to what they are going to give us all now they are closing the library's and other things. { dream on}

raftl come on, thats a bit harsh.
eric came here and took our safe and we didnt even ask him, what a guy!
Originally Posted by jimbob

As they keep on finding out everytime they scrap or charge for the Eric service - ERIC SAVES MONEY. It costs more to clean up and administrate the extra mess that people dump all over the place when there is not a free eric service, than the cost of the Eric service.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 7th Apr 2009 3:40pm
Originally Posted by AX_125
over the past 12 months ERIC has taken the following things from me for free

1 x fridge
1 x fridge freezer
1 x oven
3 x sofa's
could these have been freecycled?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 7th Apr 2009 7:23pm
Wirral freecycle
Posted By: Wench Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 7th Apr 2009 10:45pm
Best way I found of getting rid of rubbish was the same way I lost 16 stone - divorce raftl
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 7th Apr 2009 11:11pm
Loooooool
Posted By: Anonymous lRe: residential parking - 25th Jul 2010 7:05pm
i live in a permitted parking zone area and had a residency parking pass that got mislayed as recently got divorced and single parent also.when i asked the council for another one they told me there is a £40.00 replacement fee charge.I surely should be allowed to gain another permit considering my circumstances.Can anyone help.
Posted By: HayleyIan lRe: residential parking - 25th Jul 2010 7:49pm
write a letter of complaint to the council and tell them your circumstances and they will take exception. They cant expect you to pay that for a replacement. Other option is ask for a visiters pass
Posted By: MissGuided lRe: residential parking - 26th Jul 2010 4:59pm
If you lose your driver's licence you have to pay for that too - regardless of circumstances - why should this be any different?

Oh and PS this has f**k all to do with recycling!!! Start a new thread for your moan - don't alter an old one!
Posted By: Wench Re: lRe: residential parking - 27th Jul 2010 11:38pm
Originally Posted by Anonymous
i live in a permitted parking zone area and had a residency parking pass that got mislayed as recently got divorced and single parent also.when i asked the council for another one they told me there is a £40.00 replacement fee charge.I surely should be allowed to gain another permit considering my circumstances.Can anyone help.

Why should you be able to get one for free just because you're recently divorced and a single parent?? If you mislaid it, then you should have to pay for a replacement. If it had been stolen, then that's another matter. If you mislay your electric key, gas card, driving licence or passport, then you have to pay for another no matter what your circumstances as it's your own fault you need it replacing.

If you don't want to pay then turn the house upside down and find it. Otherwise, just pay the money.

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: lRe: residential parking - 28th Jul 2010 1:47am
I don't have a problem with having to pay for a replacement, but £40 for the scrappy bit of paper they provide seems a bit OTT. Suggest people get quality copies done of theirs, just in case.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 27th Oct 2010 12:21pm
Phone this number " 0151 228 5626 " it's a free recycle/removal based in liverpool, and when they get enough calls to fill a van they will move from wirral ;))
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 27th Oct 2010 1:13pm
Also look up bulky bobs on the net, that might be of some help??
I've got to pay £20:00 next week in advance to the eric sevice for 2 items to be moved!
Without the ERIC then people would fly tip and that costs more to move and also makes the place look like crap, just like our back jigger. No pride in their surroundings some people.
Posted By: Waddi Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 9th Nov 2010 1:52pm
The easiest way to get rid of things you dont want is to stick it all on your front drive with a sign next to it saying "do not take" and "they" can't help themselves.
Yep sounds right.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 13th Nov 2010 8:44pm
Can you put dead leaves in the brown bin?? Ive brushed up a massive mound from the tree in my garden.
Posted By: Helles Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 13th Nov 2010 11:04pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Can you put dead leaves in the brown bin?? Ive brushed up a massive mound from the tree in my garden.

Of course you can, that's what they are for!
Posted By: kermit Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 13th Nov 2010 11:25pm
r brown bins only got emptied fri thou so its ages 4 the next 1 ;-(
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 13th Nov 2010 11:36pm
Originally Posted by Helles

Of course you can, that's what they are for!
Alrite!! Keep ya leaves on!! verysorry
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 13th Nov 2010 11:41pm
Originally Posted by kermit
r brown bins only got emptied fri thou so its ages 4 the next 1 ;-(
Shit, innit? Am gonna do it now, by hand. I dont wanna manslaughter a hedgehog!!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 13th Nov 2010 11:55pm
Bleeding hell! Its hard work! Avin a fag break....
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 14th Nov 2010 12:24am
All done now!! Very therapeutic laugh Her next door come out, retreated tho when i explained i wasn't burying plusone
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 14th Nov 2010 12:27am
Plusone came out, in his gligs. That proved my point....
lolol when i lived in liscard i got rid of 2 tatty bikes like that...just left them leaning against my gate overnight

awesome scally service, gone by dawn
Bleeding hell! Its hard work! Avin a fag break....

you need one of these

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/84569...Power/Blowers-Vacs/Ryobi-Electric-Blower
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 25th Nov 2010 8:40pm
Full to capacity brown bin, full of leaves. Good to go tomoz grin they've never bothered me before EVER!! Must be getting old!!
get plusone to jump up and down in it, youll b surprised how much they will compact wink
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 25th Nov 2010 9:21pm
That is compressed! Smacked em down with the shovel! You're right tho, compression halved the volume!! You know how many half dead trees we got in our little patch? Anyway, its done now grin
Ahh! That's not nice, I've met him and he is only slightly over weight!!!!
Posted By: derekdwc Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 25th Nov 2010 11:18pm
sometimes when you really compress stuff in your wheelie bin it doesn't all come out when the binmen hook it up to the lorry and you are left with a nearly full bin still.
I've never really noticed if they are checked to make sure they are empty
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 25th Nov 2010 11:53pm
I let ya know tomorrow, Derek x
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 26th Nov 2010 12:00am
Originally Posted by Bezzymate
Ahh! That's not nice, I've met him and he is only slightly over weight!!!!
And IMO you are only slightly over -opinionated!! grin
i fill these brown bins to excess a lot ,not soil though, never had one not emptied
Why not throwing thoes that you needn't away.?
Posted By: Nomad Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 6th Jan 2011 8:30pm
Divorce
Originally Posted by Nomad
Divorce
raftl
Posted By: Nomad Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 6th Jan 2011 9:40pm
I am not saying that I am bitter and twisted but....

My family crest is a lemon and corkscrew
"Am gonna do it now, by hand. I dont wanna manslaughter a hedgehog!!"

That made me laugh!

I've only ever seen a hedgehog in person once. I was sitting out in the garden burning some bits of wood in the dark after taking the garage down and it walked almost over my foot.

Getting rid of rubbish?

It depends what kind of rubbish and how violently you'll be getting rid of it. If it's building type rubbish, it's usually best to just suffer the skip charge and get busy! Seriously busy if it's a big one.

Skips need packing well to make them economic. Pretty much all good builders won't randomly throw stuff in, they try to get it to pack down by stacking things.

I would suggest you have some manpower to hand for a big skip; as it can really hurt if there are multiple tons to go in a few days and it's just you loading it.

If you're chucking more household items, like furniture, they don't pack well at all without it all being chopped / smashed. And there are cheaper options, like Eric and Freecycle or sticking it in the boot.

Another option we don't use much in the UK is to have a yard sale or give away, or just put it in the yard with 'free' written on it. Zero disposal costs but it needs to be of some worth to somebody or it's never going to move.

A half and half option is to get a trailer, or rent one. The drawback is the drawbar. You'll need one to hook up the trailer if the car doesn't already have it, and they can be as much as a skip. Alternatively, have someone who does have one shift it and pay them in beer.

You can get a lot of stuff in a transit van as well. Although the guys at the tip may question who you are and what you're doing, as it's illegal to dispose of commercial waste at domestic sites without paying for it; and most people who own transits have them for commercial use.

A tricky problem for me at the moment is soil. I have about ten big Rhino tubs of it and some more to go. But it can't go in the brown bin, the tip don't want it and it's not worth renting skips for. It's also crappy soil, full of clay and clinker.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: What is the best way to get rid of rubbish? - 23rd Apr 2011 11:29am
that crappy soil with clay and clinker will be a land fill jobby, smally skip should do it.
Can't imagine what "too heavy" is for a wheely bin, it's not as though they have to hoist it like the old style binnies used to. Surely if a woman can wheel it then it must be ok for a burly bin man. I told my missus to pull the bins that makes it much easier than trying to push them.
The van & man type rubbish removals are cheaper than skips generally these days.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral