Forums
Posted By: Wheels Could it happen ? - 1st May 2008 3:48pm
With Global warming and rising sea levels could the wirral be cut off?

Attached picture n711130726_2337990_9813.jpg
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Could it happen ? - 1st May 2008 4:03pm
Cool lol

where did you find that?
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Could it happen ? - 1st May 2008 4:18pm
that would be amazing, by by b'north, tre webby
Posted By: Wheels Re: Could it happen ? - 1st May 2008 4:21pm
if it does im declaring myself King of Wirral!
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Could it happen ? - 1st May 2008 5:57pm
The Island of Wirral happy nice catch..
Posted By: GaryB Re: Could it happen ? - 1st May 2008 6:45pm
If only.
Posted By: Wheels Re: Could it happen ? - 1st May 2008 6:48pm
i'd have to get a ferry to work on the oaks
Posted By: chiccy Re: Could it happen ? - 1st May 2008 7:23pm
omg could that happen?
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Could it happen ? - 1st May 2008 7:52pm
i have just started drawing up plans for my new ferry service to the port and flint, have bought rights to a new crossing to deeside and all this while leaving my engine running with a brick on the pedal, thus, global warming rocks, i might even wear shorts (the above statement was entirely fictional and was not connected to the newly formed company known as
Bridges
And
Systems
To
Alleviate
Road
Density
Situations
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Could it happen ? - 2nd May 2008 12:18am
Originally Posted by chiccy
omg could that happen?

in hundreds of thousands of yrs maybe, certainly not in our lifetime tease
Posted By: chiccy Re: Could it happen ? - 2nd May 2008 7:23am
PHEW!hehe
Posted By: Peachy Re: Could it happen ? - 2nd May 2008 9:50am
omg Oh god! global warming just getting worse and worse!!

Posted By: chiccy Re: Could it happen ? - 2nd May 2008 9:56am
tbh scares the livin daylights out of me
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: Could it happen ? - 2nd May 2008 12:19pm
fk it il be well dead by then!...
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Could it happen ? - 2nd May 2008 1:44pm
If that happened Wallasey would also be isolated.

100's of years ago the docks as they are now, reached right through to moreton shore, making Wallas Isle (Hence Wallasey)
Over the years the water way silted up and it was no longer an island, though there are still marshes where the land is so low round the B&Q area...
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: Could it happen ? - 2nd May 2008 2:36pm
thats why wallasey is full of inbreds..lol
Posted By: chiccy Re: Could it happen ? - 2nd May 2008 3:07pm
Originally Posted by StuyMac
If that happened Wallasey would also be isolated.

100's of years ago the docks as they are now, reached right through to moreton shore, making Wallas Isle (Hence Wallasey)
Over the years the water way silted up and it was no longer an island, though there are still marshes where the land is so low round the B&Q area...
well i never interesting that matey
Posted By: daveymoff Re: Could it happen ? - 9th Feb 2009 11:16am
Leasowe and most of Moreton is below sea level and would be flooded. Buy a house on top of Bidston Hill or in Liscard/New Brighton, you'll be nice and safe :o)
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Could it happen ? - 9th Feb 2009 12:06pm
Originally Posted by daveymoff
Leasowe and most of Moreton is below sea level and would be flooded. Buy a house on top of Bidston Hill or in Liscard/New Brighton, you'll be nice and safe :o)

there are massive overflow tunnels under Leasowe rd goes to the tanks so they will be ok
Posted By: kyle82 Re: Could it happen ? - 10th Apr 2009 6:26pm
they say without the global warming, land areas always move by certain length every year. that's why that big triangle myth was broken down to different lands and areas that made our world as it looks now.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Could it happen ? - 10th Apr 2009 8:01pm
Originally Posted by Robbo_theMan
Originally Posted by daveymoff

there are massive overflow tunnels under Leasowe rd goes to the tanks so they will be ok

But no tank has the capacity of the Irish Sea and if/ when global warming does occur to an extent that large areas of land are flooded then we are talking about such an expansion of the sea.

Going back to the map in the initial post. I was reading the "History of the Hundred of Wirral" (Mortimer - mid 1800s) and in that it describes how the topography and geological layout of Wirral/ South Lancs and North Wales leads to a conclusion that ORIGINALLY there was a land bridge between New Brighton and South Lancs ie say Liverpool in modern terminology. What we call the Mersey drained eastwards towards Chester and then into the River Dee.

Interesting thought, and technically a sound thought.

Snod

Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Could it happen ? - 10th Apr 2009 8:29pm
yerr ok good point lol smile
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Could it happen ? - 10th Apr 2009 9:02pm
Personally I rather like the thought of SOME elements of global warming - the "warm" bit I suppose.

A problem is however that the predicted degree or so of increased average global temperature gives a false impression of what can be expected. LOCALLY there are likely to be very much bigger shifts in temperature and those will have very significant knock-on effects. Not the least of those will be a dramatic reduction in rainfall. While that may seem a nice idea the implications for agriculture/ food supply are rather alarming.

Interestingly (??) one prediction is that WE ie UK could well suffer a dramatic DROP in average temperature. You have to remember that the UK is kept artificially warm by the current flowing across the Atlantic from the West Indies. For our latitude we should have a temperature VERY much lower. Some (authoritative) predictions of the effects of global warming are that the ocean current will change dramatically and we will lose our warm current from the West Indies - brrrrr. So not only would we have to contend with rising sea levels, but icebergs as well.

As for "get a house on Biddy Hill or Wallasey ridge" - err, for some of the more doom laden predictions of the sea level rise associated with global warming you would still have problems at those heights or at least would find yourself on mini-islands. As for me - well, soon we will have an apartment in another country - at near 9000 ft. The incentive for that purchase has nothing to do with global warming, just expediency to make domestic visits easier to manage.

Snod
© Wirral-Wikiwirral