Forums
Posted By: Mark Flood : UK underwater - 21st Jan 2008 6:37pm
Just seen this on the news again.

Its so bad that were under water so much of the time?
I feel for those homes that are getting flooded and flooded
time and time again. I mean what chance do they have to
sell there homes when insurance is none existent?

I cant remmeber seeing flooding so often on the TV
and in the UK, it used to always be somewhere else.

Its right the Government should be investing billions into
flood defenses etc...

I'm ok where i live but for how long?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Flood : UK underwater - 21st Jan 2008 6:42pm
Originally Posted by Mark
Its right the Government should be investing billions into flood defenses etc...

I cant see what the government can do tbh, its the housing developers faults for building the houses on flood plains and the buyers faults for buying houses without paying for proper searches etc... When the rivers flood, the flood plains are there to do their job. If houses are subsequently built on flood plains, then they are comprimised from day one. Shouldnt be up to the government to needlessly spend billions of public money clearing up the mess that housing developers have left people in!

Here on Wirral, we are well protected, dont worry. Unless again, your house is built on a flood plain (which as you probably already know, yours isnt dont worry).

Its one worry I certainly wont have for a few million years, as you know yourself!

raftl
Posted By: Mark Re: Flood : UK underwater - 21st Jan 2008 6:55pm
On the 9th floor :r

Developers should pay the price as you say.
But the government has to take more responsibility.

Its not always the flood plain houses that get flooded?
As you say its concrete everywhere. So where a place used to
be fine in wetter weather is not sand bagging for protection.

But its almost a daily thing at the moment.
Flood warnings, Flood Warnings.

I think it will get out of control and they will being to
call these area's the "Wetlands" where people live and
cant move away frown

I got peed off when the felt blew off my shed a few weeks ago.
God knows what those people are going through living in
caravans week after week.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Flood : UK underwater - 21st Jan 2008 7:02pm
8th floor tease

I dunno, its never affected me, but has affected some family living down Hereford way a few times. As you rightly say, the developers should be made to compensate people and forced to take more responsibility in where they build and providing adequate drainage for increased flooding in all future developments.

The government can spend money on increased drainage, but to actually solve all the problems that persist, it will cost hundreds of billions of pounds...

I dont agree with that much of our public money being used to prevent something that happens due to mother nature. We can't control nature, we just have to live with it.

Plenty of households in this country have plenty of other problems, but the goverment dont give them hundreds of billions of pounds to sort them; okay not on the same scale as this, but ya win some ya lose some.

Most of the people affected are those living in these half million pound commuter belt houses and the like, they have had a nice comfortable life for years, if not decades, a bit of flooding just equates to the stress and strains normal people on normal wages living in our "common area's" go through in their lives lol.

I suppose I just see it as though everything evening itself out, but also, that we cant control nature, so spending hundreds of billions trying to is a waste.

smile
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Flood : UK underwater - 21st Jan 2008 7:15pm
We can't be having global warming if it's always raining!!! Can We ???
Posted By: Mark Re: Flood : UK underwater - 21st Jan 2008 8:10pm
think The rains fairly warm for this time of year wink
Posted By: Wheels Re: Flood : UK underwater - 21st Jan 2008 8:45pm
i live on a hill smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Flood : UK underwater - 21st Jan 2008 8:47pm
Jack and jill went up a hill to fetch a pail of water apparently...

Was this the hill that you live on Wheels? Maybe theres more water then you think?

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Flood : UK underwater - 21st Jan 2008 10:10pm
Haha I just thought, does anyone recall the flood-water pumps that Aldi were selling a few months ago??

I bet some people wished they had bought them now!
Posted By: AR_One Re: Flood : UK underwater - 21st Jan 2008 10:28pm
I'm slightly involved in all of this on the Government side and there's a whole range of factors involved:

1. Historically many cities have been built near fords in rivers or where two rivers join - oops

2. Houses have been built on flood plains - the planning authorities have to consult the Environment Agency who nearly always say "don't build houses there it's on a flood plain" but the planning teams can ignore the EA if they want (and regularly do) witness the outburst by Barbara Young (head of EA last year on this exact subject)

3. A large proportion of the flooding in the last year has not been due to rivers and lakes. There has simply been so much much rain in short bursts that everything becomes water-logged and huge puddles develop in any sort of depression in the ground - the flooding in Hull last year was exactly this. There is very little that can be done about defending against this sort of problem.

If I was building my own house now I'd go for what the Dutch do in high-risk areas - that is build houses with a car port and storage on the ground floor but no living space so the actual house only gets flooded if the water's 8 feet deep - in which case we're all screwed!

I genuinly feel for those of you whose houses are threatended at the moment but I'm very much in the camp that we're never going to control nature we've got to adapt to live alongside it - oh and that's going to cost some serious cash!
Posted By: Mark Re: Flood : UK underwater - 21st Jan 2008 10:44pm
some good points there wink
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: Flood : UK underwater - 21st Jan 2008 11:15pm
Flood area

Crap im in a flood area frown
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Flood : UK underwater - 21st Jan 2008 11:17pm
Gitted for ya!

If I am, then I can only say one thing... come and get me floods!

grin
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: Flood : UK underwater - 21st Jan 2008 11:20pm
Sod that.. swimming in Mersey water.. urgh lol
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Flood : UK underwater - 21st Jan 2008 11:23pm
Originally Posted by Izzy
Sod that.. swimming in Mersey water.. urgh lol

Nah it will just up the value of my flat... I mean, ill have sea views!!

raftl
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: Flood : UK underwater - 21st Jan 2008 11:24pm
raftl raftl
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Flood : UK underwater - 21st Jan 2008 11:26pm
Hmmm you rekon it will up the council tax?? I mean the value of the flat will go up, so the cheeky fookers will change the band for sure!!

Flood floods stay away, come agen another day, I cba with any higher council tax!!

Lol!
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: Flood : UK underwater - 21st Jan 2008 11:27pm
Wouldnt suprise me.. charge us for everything else lol
Posted By: jonah Re: Flood : UK underwater - 22nd Jan 2008 9:57pm
just had buildings/contents insurance renewal quote in and its gone up to £37 a month for the next year due to all the flood payouts last time...so rang my financial adviser who looked around for us and has got it for £27 a month which is less than what i'm paying now anyway before the increase....
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Flood : UK underwater - 22nd Jan 2008 9:58pm
Originally Posted by jonah
just had buildings/contents insurance renewal quote in and its gone up to £37 a month for the next year due to all the flood payouts last time...so rang my financial adviser who looked around for us and has got it for £27 a month which is less than what i'm paying now anyway before the increase....

Quality stuff that matey... why should you have to pay for others misfortune!!
Posted By: jonah Re: Flood : UK underwater - 22nd Jan 2008 9:59pm
Rip off Britain matey......
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Flood : UK underwater - 22nd Jan 2008 10:02pm
Rip off Britain matey......

Yep sure is... £1800 each we are all having to pay to look after NR's shareholders interests... makes my freakin blood boil!

mad
Posted By: jonah Re: Flood : UK underwater - 22nd Jan 2008 10:04pm
yeh, we'll probably get taxed or have vat added onto that, and as for us all getting a return share from the profits, should it make any,............ oooh, was that a pig that flew over my head then? somad
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Flood : UK underwater - 22nd Jan 2008 10:07pm
yeh, we'll probably get taxed or have vat added onto that, and as for us all getting a return share from the profits, should it make any,............ oooh, was that a pig that flew over my head then? somad

Well I like the way on Question Time last week, the home secratary said that shareholders of the bank are normal people for the most part, and their ivestment should be protected??

Helloooooooooo? Its the world of the stock market ffs, you win some, you lose some, shares go up and shares go down!! Does this mean that the government are going to protect the £88billion that was wiped off the stock market yesterday? No, I thought not!

mad
Posted By: jonah Re: Flood : UK underwater - 22nd Jan 2008 10:08pm
*ducks as matty's rattle and toys fly within millimetres of his head*
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Flood : UK underwater - 22nd Jan 2008 10:11pm
*ducks as matty's rattle and toys fly within millimetres of his head*

Me not have toys... me have knives aimed at Gordon Browns head and as for Jacqui Smith... well I have a nice tortue chamber setup for her, followed by a machine gun, blow her legs n arms off, then the rest of her can dye a slow death!!

Errrr should I be worried about this? shifty
Posted By: jonah Re: Flood : UK underwater - 22nd Jan 2008 10:12pm
nono shockedever thought of anger management ? raftl
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Flood : UK underwater - 22nd Jan 2008 10:16pm
Im more worried about what will happen now ive posted that... I have a feeling MI5 will come storming into my flat any minute and ill get done for treason or summit!!

lamethrower[Linked Image]hammer

Got to be the most useless and stupid Home Secratary in the UK EVER!!! First woman, and sure to be the last too!!

mad
© Wirral-Wikiwirral