Forums
Posted By: Mark Quit Smoking - 28th Jun 2007 10:48pm
Quit Smoking - D Day has arrived.

I smoked for 25 years and i have quit now for 7 months.

December 26th 9:03pm was my last cigarette.
Wasn't a big moment was it lol for me to remember the time
and the date lol.

If youre a quitter or Ex Smoker then maybe we can help others quit too.
That's if they want to quit.
As I found lots of help and patches out there.
You don't have to attend classes etc.

Its not the end of the world if it doesn't work this time
you can always try again.

But its not for everyone, so if its not your thing to
quit please respect the quitters in this topic please.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Quit Smoking - 28th Jun 2007 10:52pm
My mum is an NHS health advisor and one of he roles is to help people quit smoking.

So if people need information or advice, I can ask her, ill also ask her for details of the relevant agencies and organisations etc to contact to gain help and support.

smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Quit Smoking - 28th Jun 2007 11:04pm
Originally Posted by Mark
I smoked for 25 years and i have quit now for 7 months.

christ, 25 years?! you dont look a day over 20 mate raftl

Good look to those who are quitting happy
Posted By: Mark Re: Quit Smoking - 28th Jun 2007 11:12pm
The lad next door to me is a builder
and i was surprised to hear that on his building site
they now have a designated smoking area under a sheet out side.
No more smoking just anywhere.

They started this a week early and its given him
the incentive to quit.

The cheek of some people. - joe
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: Quit Smoking - 13th Feb 2008 2:17am
Iv been smoking since i was 16 (5 years) I would like to quit as i spend far to much money on fags/Baccy but i find it hard every time i try, I just end up chewing some poor persons head off raftl
Posted By: placidmaster Re: Quit Smoking - 13th Feb 2008 2:35am
i always had chuds (gum) to hand and this helped me when i stopped
Posted By: Mark Re: Quit Smoking - 10th Mar 2008 11:50am
National None Smoking day 12th march or this Wednesday.

Good luck if your going to give them up wink
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: Quit Smoking - 10th Mar 2008 12:07pm
I might give it a good go.....
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Quit Smoking - 10th Mar 2008 12:09pm
go on fella... actually no don't keep smoking, EVERYONE SMOKE MORE AND MORE FAGS!!!

I cba with higher fuel and living taxes lol.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Quit Smoking - 10th Mar 2008 12:24pm
smoking.. well i only smoke when i'm fuked and have them available

gf hates it and to be honest so do i... i just get a cravin for it when i'm pissed...

dont know how to overcome without cutting out drink as well...
Posted By: placidmaster Re: Quit Smoking - 10th Mar 2008 2:42pm
dont get pissed or chew gum when u wanna tab or lick an ashtray. all three can be done in any order and all are effective, especially licking the inards of an ashtray
Posted By: fordsteve Re: Quit Smoking - 10th Mar 2008 5:34pm
am going to give it ago even more important now i got a daughter plus more mone for car thumbsup
Posted By: vw_kyle Re: Quit Smoking - 10th Mar 2008 6:13pm
good luck lad
Posted By: fordsteve Re: Quit Smoking - 10th Mar 2008 6:14pm
thanks mate fingers crossed
Posted By: dave_g Re: Quit Smoking - 11th Apr 2008 10:54pm
i quit quittin jus end up angry at the wrong people,but good luck to those who have will power!
Posted By: fordsteve Re: Quit Smoking - 11th Apr 2008 10:56pm
lol i no that feeling mate am the same i quite for 4 weeks then done me in after i had a few drinks so needed a smoke well gutted with my self
Posted By: Wench Re: Quit Smoking - 12th Aug 2008 10:23am
I've tried to give up more times than I can count. Been a smoker for 22 years. Finally went to the Practice Nurse and got Champix - wish I'd gone ages ago!!!

Not smoked for 2 weeks now. Not been as narky as I was on the patches (baccy stuck to the sticky & tasted like crap when you lit it - maybe I was using them wrong). I think "really want a cig" and it's like the thought floats into my head then floats right out.

If anyone's really serious about giving up ask for the Champix. It's fantastic!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Quit Smoking - 12th Aug 2008 10:36am
Aceritz and Sanchez are both in the process of quitting with Champix - I belive its been over 2 months now.... omg

If You knew aceritz, how much he smoked, and what he was like without a ciggy, then you would see what a wonder drug it is raftl
Posted By: Wench Re: Quit Smoking - 12th Aug 2008 10:52am
I can vouch for that. I was 40 a day at one point and nobody spoke to me or looked at me when I gave up - I was somad
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Quit Smoking - 12th Aug 2008 10:55am
raftl

somad - is a mild description for Aceritz, and could be used to describe him being hungry or slightly tired.

He was far more volitile without a smoke raftl
Posted By: Wench Re: Quit Smoking - 16th Sep 2008 10:23am
Just for future reference, in case it happens - what do I do after "doing the do" now I have given up smoking?? Do I call thee other party a taxi earlier or offer them a beverage perhaps?
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Quit Smoking - 16th Sep 2008 10:26am
You could try eating a banana - very good for replenishing energy stocks. Please do not try to smoke the banana.
Posted By: Wench Re: Quit Smoking - 16th Sep 2008 10:31am
I see. I tried smoking banana skins when I was a teenager - just made my tongue curved and slippy omg What if I don't have a banana in the house?? Should we perhaps continue this in general chit chat raftl
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Quit Smoking - 16th Sep 2008 10:33am
I would say keep a bowl of fruit by your bed just in case. Carrot sticks even...

Yes - nothing to do with quitting any more.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Quit Smoking - 16th Sep 2008 10:33am
quit with champix, it work very well for me and aceritz, also i might add join a gym or take up some form of regular hobby to help suppress the craving
Posted By: Wench Re: Quit Smoking - 16th Sep 2008 10:41am
I've already given up with the Champix - just over 7 weeks now. It was just a general query really. A new hobby may be just the ticket thumbsup I have a cunning plan mwahhhhh ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa
Posted By: mike849 Re: Quit Smoking - 16th Sep 2008 10:44am
smoking is bad ummkay!! noonoo raftl
Posted By: Wench Re: Quit Smoking - 16th Sep 2008 11:07am
I don't smoke anymore raftl and sometimes things that are bad for you are oh so much fun and goooooooooooooooooooood!!!!
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Quit Smoking - 16th Sep 2008 11:07am
Originally Posted by PaganJay
I've already given up with the Champix - just over 7 weeks now. It was just a general query really. A new hobby may be just the ticket thumbsup I have a cunning plan mwahhhhh ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa

You could collect haunted dolls:
Haunted Dolly
Posted By: Wench Re: Quit Smoking - 16th Sep 2008 11:09am
NO, NO and erm NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! That's just wrong!!
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Quit Smoking - 16th Sep 2008 11:10am
Erm.....ok then.

Stamp Collecting?
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Quit Smoking - 16th Sep 2008 11:15am
Lepidopterist?
Entomologist?

Hey I'd be good in a pub quiz smile
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Quit Smoking - 13th Oct 2008 7:42pm
I've been reading about Champix and am going to give it a try.
How are you guys getting on - all still stopped.
I've got an appointment 21st for my first session and am hoping they will give me a prescription. I read that Wirral is well below it's targets for people stopping.
Does anyone know if Fender Way HC will issue Champix?
Posted By: Wench Re: Quit Smoking - 13th Oct 2008 8:14pm
It will be 11 weeks on Friday for me yes Just tell them that you have tried everything - patches, lozenges, inhalator etc and they should give you it.

It's not for everyone - it's made quite a few of my friends sick as dogs but if you stick with it, it tends to wear off. I had a piece of toast just after mine and the nausea soon went.

Hope that helps thumbsup

If not, feel free to ask away!
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Quit Smoking - 13th Oct 2008 8:17pm
Well done you - congratulations.
I've been reading a forum (all 100+ pages!) and several on there say you must take the tablets after food or else you feel very ill.
Fingers crossed!
Posted By: Angel_x Re: Quit Smoking - 13th Oct 2008 8:34pm
I've been a quitter for 2 years now!
was a heavy smoker on 40 a day!!
I quit due to being rushed to hospital for a op and was so ill i couldn't smoke even if i wanted to lol
but i was on patches before i got takin in.
I found they worked for me!

congrats to you!
smile
Posted By: Wench Re: Quit Smoking - 13th Oct 2008 8:41pm
Bloody hell raftl that's a lot of pages!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you thumbsup

And thanks for the congrats - it's worth it, feel much better for it!!
Posted By: MissCalculated Re: Quit Smoking - 13th Oct 2008 9:45pm
I quit smoking for the seventh and final time back in April. I had smoked on and off for about twenty years i suppose.

I tried everything from hypnosis to cold turkey but i think what made the difference this time was that I went to my local doctors and saw the nurse there and she put me on the patches. They were strong at first and I did have a few sleepless nights because i was told to wear them over night because i was one of those ppl that had to smoke as soon as i opened my eyes lol. I wont pretend it was a walkover but because i had been desperate to give up for some years and because i developed asthma i realised it was time.

I hope this helps someone to decide and i would be happy to answer any questions smile
Posted By: Wench Re: Quit Smoking - 13th Oct 2008 10:07pm
Well done you!! clap

This is my 4th time giving up, but I really wanted to give up this time and I think that is the difference. The other times it was because I was being pressured to give up. I'd been a smoker for 24 yrs, averaging 20-40 a day.

The only good thing about smoking was that it got me up and about after the hystericalectomy - I'd have stayed in bed until they discharged me otherwise because it hurt like hell raftl

I tried the patches too but they were not strong enough and gave me horrific nightmares. Cold turkey just took me too close to comitting murder raftl I don't think there is a right or wrong way - it's just a matter of finding what is right for you and don't see a setback as failure!
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Quit Smoking - 13th Oct 2008 10:41pm
i used to do a lot of running and then came smoking. want to stop but any smoker will tell you how hard it is
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Quit Smoking - 13th Oct 2008 10:41pm
I have to go - give my apologies to the Queen
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Quit Smoking - 14th Oct 2008 7:35am
It will be 11 weeks on Friday for me yes

clap Well done PJ grin

Must be getting on for 4 months for me now - cold turkey :Grin:
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: Quit Smoking - 14th Oct 2008 7:59am
Originally Posted by StuyMac

clap Well done PJ grin

cold turkey hey....impressive
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Quit Smoking - 14th Oct 2008 9:37am
Originally Posted by angel_x

I quit due to being rushed to hospital for a op and was so ill i couldn't smoke even if i wanted to lol
smile

Very similar here. 12 years ago I was in hozzy for near 2 weeks. Used to see the guy opposite sneaking down to the smoking room dragging his drip trolly and thought how daft that was. I decided "no more" and have stayed with that. No patches or anything - just gave it up. Funny thing is that for the next year or so I ALWAYS kept an open pack in the drawer next to me at work - as a sort of "reminder of the temptation". In the house I still have a few unopened cartons of 200. After 12 years they must be a bit stale by now I guess.

Snod
Posted By: Wench Re: Quit Smoking - 14th Oct 2008 1:04pm
Originally Posted by StuyMac

clap Well done PJ grin

Kudos to you Stuy clap You did it the hard way!
Posted By: Wench Re: Quit Smoking - 14th Oct 2008 1:07pm
Kudos to you too Snod!!! I'd have given up once they were all gone. I don't have a single one in the house. I don't mind people smoking here, I just spray like a demon after they leave raftl I guess I just feel guilty if I ask them not to smoke here sorry
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Quit Smoking - 14th Oct 2008 1:10pm
Its strange, when I stopped, I used to hate people smoking round me, now it doesnt bother me anymore, and just reminds me of how glad I am that I stopped, and the smell it leaves.
Posted By: Wench Re: Quit Smoking - 14th Oct 2008 1:14pm
I put perfume on my sleeves now because if someone sits next to me on the bus or a train and they've been smoking, it makes me gip so I sniff the perfume instead.

It just makes me feel bad because I used to smell like that sick
Posted By: MissCalculated Re: Quit Smoking - 14th Oct 2008 2:20pm
Its cool to hear other ppls stories of how they gave up. I had a carton of cigarettes for ages and i still have a lighter in the car lol and just keep forgetting to chuck it out. I think i thought about how many times i had failed so i kept all the stuff around because of the amount of times in the past i had thrown out all my lighters etc lol. I do feel a bit miffed now if someone lights up in my airspace lol but it doesnt make me want a smoke. I was so desperate to give up i would have done anything, within reason lol. But spent many hours crying and wondering why it was so hard to give up when the answer was within me all along. smile
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Quit Smoking - 14th Oct 2008 2:28pm
I put perfume on my sleeves now because if someone sits next to me on the bus or a train . . . .

I think I may get a few funny looks if I did that grin grin

Seriously I know what you mean. The smell of stale smoke on other people is now a real off-put and I would go out of my way to avoid having to put up with it. My son used to moan (justifiably) about the "stinky" customers he had to serve at the supermarket checkout.

Snod
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Quit Smoking - 14th Oct 2008 2:37pm
Originally Posted by rentaclown100
i used to do a lot of running and then came smoking

Were you robbing the fags from a corner shop before you smoked them?
Posted By: Morseman Re: Quit Smoking - 16th Oct 2008 10:44am
You usually find that reformed smokers are the worst when it comes to telling others that they shouldn't smoke. Bit hypocritical.

Well done to those that have. I gave up on the 1st of August and suck on those lozenge thingys. Trouble is I am addicted to them now. I see a nice lady at my GP's who encourages me but can only give me prescriptions for twelve weeks. Given the price of those things over the counter, if the Government really wanted you to give up they would let you have prescriptions until you no longer needed them.

Forty something years of smoking, wonder how much money I spent in that time? Don't try and work it out as in the latter part I was on the contraband stuff and rolled my own. laugh
Posted By: Wench Re: Quit Smoking - 16th Oct 2008 2:33pm
I personally don't care if someone smokes or not - it's their choice.

Well done with giving up Morseman - it's not easy by any stretch of the imagination.

I dread to think of how much money I've spent over the years, and what I could have done with that money. Hindsight is such a wonderful thing raftl
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Quit Smoking - 16th Oct 2008 4:20pm
even the big man gave up!

Attached picture fags.jpg
Posted By: Mark Re: Quit Smoking - 16th Oct 2008 5:44pm
Originally Posted by Morseman
You usually find that reformed smokers are the worst when it comes to telling others that they shouldn't smoke. Bit hypocritical.

Well done to those that have. I gave up on the 1st of August and suck on those lozenge thingys. Trouble is I am addicted to them now. I see a nice lady at my GP's who encourages me but can only give me prescriptions for twelve weeks. Given the price of those things over the counter, if the Government really wanted you to give up they would let you have prescriptions until you no longer needed them.

Forty something years of smoking, wonder how much money I spent in that time? Don't try and work it out as in the latter part I was on the contraband stuff and rolled my own. laugh

I have a cousin that's spending more on the lozenge thingys than she ever did on ciggies lol. . .

I packed in over well almost 2 years ago now.
And i don't mind smokers at all smile
Mainly because i was one.
Posted By: Angel_x Re: Quit Smoking - 16th Oct 2008 9:33pm
As i have said I gave up 2 years ago and dont mind smokers at all
all my family and most of my friends smoke
grin
Posted By: snapper Re: Quit Smoking - 28th Jan 2009 10:12pm
i was a 40 a day man for more years than i care to remember, quit 18 months ago using the patches. best thing i've ever done. if i can do it, anyone can!
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Quit Smoking - 29th Jan 2009 8:34am
I got my Champix pills just before Christmas and have now not smoked for 17days! bananadance bananadance
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Quit Smoking - 29th Jan 2009 10:35am
I used my champix pills 8 months ago, been 'clean' 'dry' smile since. Best things ever, I dont know why the NHS isnt ramming them down smokers throats !!!!!
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Quit Smoking - 29th Jan 2009 7:08pm
They're great aren't they!!!
I brought loads of ciggies back from my holiday in November so I'm trying to find someone still smoking that will buy them off me laugh
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Quit Smoking - 29th Jan 2009 8:46pm
that would depend on what they are and what price you want for them !!!!!
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Quit Smoking - 29th Jan 2009 9:16pm
They're Benson & Hedges @ £30 / 200. The going rate I believe is £35.
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Quit Smoking - 11th May 2009 6:11pm
i am on day 10 of champix and feel like a bag off s**t ,having trouble keeping my eyes open ion between wanting to throw up lol and still smoking more than ever!!!!
Posted By: Wench Re: Quit Smoking - 11th May 2009 6:55pm
Have a piece of toast or something similar about 5 mins after you take the champix - works for me. Failing that, a ginger nut biscuit as ginger is good for nausea.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Quit Smoking - 11th May 2009 8:22pm
Buy Nicotine patches.

Stick one on each eye and you'll never find ya ciggies!
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Quit Smoking - 12th May 2009 6:43pm
are these champix supposed to make fags taste horrible or something cos there are not working...day 11 and forty a day,mind you the sickness has not happened today.
Posted By: Wench Re: Quit Smoking - 12th May 2009 7:25pm
Either that or just knock the cravings out. Worked for me smile I'm in the process of washing everything that can be washed as I can smell the smoke on everything!! It knocks me sick sick I had to move to another seat on the bus because someone sat in front of me that had just had a cig and I was nearly sick down his back raftl
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Quit Smoking - 12th May 2009 7:59pm
i will carry on for a few more weeks in the hope that i am not immune to champix....lol
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Quit Smoking - 12th May 2009 8:07pm
It's weird the way it creeps up on you. I smoked normally up to day 13 when I only smoked half the normal 20 a day. Day 14 I lit one in the morning put it out half way through and that was it.
I was soooo convinced it wouldn't work for me but it did - after nearly 40 years of smoking!
Good luck
Posted By: DJ_Karl_David Re: Quit Smoking - 14th May 2009 8:11am
Giving up smoking is one of the easiest things i ever did, i only smoked for 7 years but i gave up in jan/feb this year, i had that awful flu that was going round which kept me bed ridden for quite litrally 2 weeks, i figured it was in my intrests to stop, didnt use any aids at all apart from extra chewies. i just found if had a chewie when i needed a fag it helped loads.

then the hard part is actually when youve given up

sleep pattern gets fooked up
lungs start to hurt from coughing up so much shit
headaches
eating all the time

but its definatly worth it its been 4 months now and i feel my lungs are well on the road to recovery, i started running when i gave up, i litrally couldnt run 100 yards without having to stop. now im runnning 3 miles quite comfotably.

If you decide to give up, stick with it

oh and the extra money you have is unreal! ive been putting the £5 a day i would of spent on fags into a savings account theres about £800 in there so far which im planning on using for a holiday.

Posted By: Token Re: Quit Smoking - 14th May 2009 9:57pm
right.... after smoking for 15 years, and trying loads of things to quit smoking, and failing, I turned to hypnotherapy... and it worked..

http://www.hypnotherapy-wirral.com/

she's incredible, took about an hour, and I got the session burned to a CD to use again, should the need arise.... without a doubt the easiest way of quitting smoking, it DOES take some willpower, but not very much at all, I havent had a need to smoke since, just the occasional 'ahhh, that was a nice meal, could do with a smoke now', and then I realise, that I wanted to quit smoking ages ago, and the thought just goes from my mind in an instant... its amazing and I'd recommend it to ANYONE wanting to quit.
Posted By: Token Re: Quit Smoking - 14th May 2009 9:59pm
oh yeah, and I love the smell of people smoking now, so I got to achieve my ambition to never be one of those horrible ex-smokers who passionately hates smokers....

result!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Quit Smoking - 14th May 2009 10:07pm
I gave up in Jan 2005 and it was my stubborness and will power that got me through it.

Give up because you want to.
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Quit Smoking - 15th May 2009 7:34pm
quick update....have not touched a fag since 11.30 pm on tuesday and feeling fine....go champix!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Wench Re: Quit Smoking - 15th May 2009 8:16pm
YAY!!! Well done you bananadance
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Quit Smoking - 15th May 2009 8:46pm
Told you it would sneak up on you!
Well done and keep up the good work
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Quit Smoking - 15th May 2009 9:11pm
weird thing is that i still really want a fag but dont seem to care if i dont get one...if you know what i mean.thanks for all your support
Posted By: Wench Re: Quit Smoking - 15th May 2009 9:18pm
I know exactly what you mean - it's more of a fleeting thought that is quickly forgotten. I've still got 3 cigs here but they will stay in the box. They've been there for a couple of weeks now laugh

As for the support - that's what Wiki's for wink
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Quit Smoking - 21st May 2009 6:39pm
8 days now and not even thinking about smoking much at all now,not even with the missus still smoking right next to me,just does not bother me,these tablets are great..
Posted By: bert1 Re: Quit Smoking - 21st May 2009 6:53pm
I got that fed up reading about the dangers of smoking, i gave up reading.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Quit Smoking - 21st May 2009 7:24pm
Originally Posted by phalinmegob
8 days now and not even thinking about smoking much at all now,not even with the missus still smoking right next to me,just does not bother me,these tablets are great..

They're bloody brilliant aren't they???
Don't get complacent, it's still early yet but once the weeks start stacking up you feel dead chuffed!

Well Done you!
clap clap clap
Posted By: Wench Re: Quit Smoking - 21st May 2009 7:40pm
I felt like one at about 2am but that soon passed. I didn't realise until about 3 hours ago that I've not had any tablets for 3 days think I've had one now and will have the other later. Just over 4 weeks now with one blip when I was out sorry was hammered and was offered one. Felt like someone had shat in my mouth the next morning though sick
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Quit Smoking - 21st May 2009 8:02pm
Jac
I thought you'd given up months ago?
Posted By: Wench Re: Quit Smoking - 21st May 2009 8:05pm
I had but then a couple of things happened and I started again. Back off them now though doll laugh
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Quit Smoking - 21st May 2009 8:07pm
Ah!
Well done you.
x
Posted By: Wench Re: Quit Smoking - 21st May 2009 8:11pm
Ta laugh x
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Quit Smoking - 18th Jul 2009 8:14pm
9 weeks off the fags..want to stop taking these champix ..did any one else stop them early.sick of feeling sick in the mornings.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Quit Smoking - 18th Jul 2009 8:46pm
Are you still taking 2 a day?
I cut down to 1 a day at around 10 weeks then half at 11 weeks. I kept forgetting to take the half so stopped completely.
Well done to the 9 weeks. I hit the 6 month mile stone a couple of weeks ago smile
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Quit Smoking - 18th Jul 2009 8:53pm
yep still on 2 a day,but think i will start doing one day soon.
Posted By: Wench Re: Quit Smoking - 19th Jul 2009 10:51pm
I failed again frown I'll give it one more shot I think yes
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Quit Smoking - 19th Jul 2009 11:32pm
ha ha so you did, i forgot you were not ment to be smoking lol
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Quit Smoking - 19th Jul 2009 11:59pm
Originally Posted by Sanchez
ha ha so you did, i forgot you were not ment to be smoking lol
That's 10 lashes deducted from your quota!!
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Quit Smoking - 20th Jul 2009 12:20am
nono
Posted By: Wench Re: Quit Smoking - 20th Jul 2009 8:16am
You were encouraging me - I was drunk and weak and unable to control myself around you raftl
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Quit Smoking - 20th Jul 2009 10:09am
Tsk!
Posted By: Wench Re: Quit Smoking - 20th Jul 2009 12:00pm
He can be very persuasive you know Lynn raftl
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Quit Smoking - 20th Jul 2009 8:36pm
flex
Posted By: Wench Re: Quit Smoking - 20th Jul 2009 8:47pm
You don't need to pose to be persuasive Andy wink

raftl
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Quit Smoking - 20th Jul 2009 9:20pm
lol, I htought yu'd like it none the less!
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Quit Smoking - 20th Jul 2009 9:36pm
keep working on the 6 pack Andy raftl
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Quit Smoking - 20th Jul 2009 9:53pm
Im am, the dam thing keeps looking like a keg though ;(
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Quit Smoking - 20th Jul 2009 9:56pm
that'll be the booze and fags you keep throwing at it raftl
Posted By: DJ_Karl_David Re: Quit Smoking - 20th Jul 2009 10:10pm
Ive been smoke free 6 months myself now and its like ive never smoked, my blood oxygen levels are 100% and my blood pressure is bang on perfect.

best thing i ever done.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Quit Smoking - 20th Jul 2009 10:44pm
you'll go back....they all go back lol
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Quit Smoking - 21st Aug 2009 1:28pm
Good luck to all who are making the effort. I was a 100 a day smoker, I was getting them duty free. However, once the missus was expecting and the warnings had been put about that it was bad for tiny infants (this was 28 years ago) I went cold turkey, with a 200 pack in the cupboard. It was hard but I knew I had to do it for the sake of my daughter to be. Everybody said that if I could do it then anyone could. Several others succeeded. We had a sort of self help group to encourage each other. The upshot was though that my daughter started smoking herself when she was a youngster. Me? I am still off them. Success to your elbow.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Quit Smoking - 21st Aug 2009 1:33pm
Ive heaqd champion x is good? Makes fags make you feel sick.
Anyone give them a go?
Posted By: Wench Re: Quit Smoking - 21st Aug 2009 1:41pm
If you mean Champix Rude then yes they do make you feel sick, then you just taste nothing and the craving goes totally. I'm on them for the third time now, but this time I want to give up for me, not because of the money raftl

By now I have usually had about 10 but so far I've had 4 - they're kicking in again smile

I'm satisfied that by this time next week I'll be a non smoker again (also may stop certain people nagging me raftl )
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Quit Smoking - 21st Aug 2009 1:59pm
Where's your will power lass? You've got to want to pack up and then just do it. Easy for an ex-smoker to say.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Quit Smoking - 21st Aug 2009 2:00pm
Yes, i meant champix. Lol. Well done you!!
Im thinking of giving them a try-does food taste bad too?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Quit Smoking - 21st Aug 2009 2:02pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
Where's your will power lass? You've got to want to pack up and then just do it. Easy for an ex-smoker to say.
ooh get you mr smug! Lol
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Quit Smoking - 23rd Aug 2009 2:27pm
Ah come on Rudy, I was just saying and trying to be positive and helpful. At least my lungs are not hanging there like a pair of manx kippers now so I have to try and help.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Quit Smoking - 23rd Aug 2009 4:00pm
Ex-smokers are always the worst raftl
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Quit Smoking - 23rd Aug 2009 4:12pm
Rude
I did it with Champix - nearly 8 months now.I always siad that if they made a tablet that would make me stop with little effort then I would take it - they did so I did!!!!
One tip - my Drs wouldn't give them to me until I'd gone through the Nictoine Replacement therapy course. I expected to be greeted like the prodigal daughter when I went and asked for the tablets. When they wouldn't give them to me, I nearly fell at the first fence! I was soooo upset having made the decision after nearly 40 years. I'm glad I stuck with it though.
I highly recommend them.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Quit Smoking - 23rd Aug 2009 4:25pm
Thanks v much. At least now i know what to expect. I'd have been gutted trekking up the docs only to get patches! Ive tryed them but not in the proper way- one time i ran out of fags and used a patch to take the edge off til i cud get fresh supply in.
I think it will be champix or nothing. I hate feeling sick.
Well done to you tho. 40 years wow!! Ive done 24 years.
Yikes! Just worked that out and im shocked.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Quit Smoking - 23rd Aug 2009 4:32pm
Rude.
I just played the waiting game with the NRT. I went every week and told them what they wanted to hear. I know it's wrong but to me, the end justified the means. After 8 weeks I got my Champix!
As for the feeling sick - Most people can control it by drinking loads of water when you take the tablets and that seems to mask it.
You think 24 years is a shock - in the 7.5 months I have not spent £1155 on ciggies!!!!!!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Quit Smoking - 23rd Aug 2009 5:03pm
Now thats a sickening thought-the amount of money spent on smokes.
Have you saved it? Plan to do anything nice? Or was the money just 'swallowed up' in the housekeeping or whatever?
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Quit Smoking - 23rd Aug 2009 6:33pm
Not saved as such but the end of the month seems to come sooner wink
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Quit Smoking - 24th Aug 2009 9:57am
No need to ask if I saved, 100 a day it's a no brainer. Keep thinking of packing in the ale but the company is too good. The way prices are going now though........?????
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Quit Smoking - 26th Aug 2009 7:49pm
I'm in the process of trying to give up, i've tried before and failed!but my Dr says i have to try because my cholestrel is high,and that i am at high risk of a heart attack or stroke within the next 10yrs, so as you can guess that has frightened me!! in the last 2 days i have cut down to 2/3 a day, but it's so hard not to have one, i can't stop just like that, i have to cut down and go longer and longer in between, i think i am doing well seeing as i was on 15/20 a day, and i rolled my own cos it was cheaper!
any hints or tips? how did you get over the cravings?
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Quit Smoking - 26th Aug 2009 9:03pm
Although I gave up with the help of Champix but I still got cravings. I don't like mints but do like cough candy and pear drops - these sweets helped enormously whenever I had a craving. Some people say that a glass of water helps.
My biggest tip would be that when you get a craving - don't sit there thinking about it. Get up and do something to take your mind off it.
Good Luck
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Quit Smoking - 27th Aug 2009 10:30am
It is hard, remember I once tried cigars instead of cigs so as to smoke less and ended up having a fag between King Eddies (duty free again). I must have been the ultimate addict. Get a support group going. We did and and the penalty for smoking was that we had to take the others out for a proper meal, with wives. All this because the missus was having a nipper. I packed in and it was only years later I found the others had cheated and smoked. I didn't care because being a tight b.......d it had worked for me, I was frightened of spending so much money on others.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Quit Smoking - 4th Sep 2009 2:41pm
Just getting treatment for pulminory something or other, a legacy of smoking and I gave up 28 years ago. Don't know what the score is yet but please.........give up now!
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Quit Smoking - 4th Sep 2009 2:45pm
COPD? No - its not a nice thing to end up with later in life.

Unfortunately, if you smoke, its waiting for you at some point or other. Even if you've given up a while ago, sometimes the damage is already done.

COPD
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Quit Smoking - 8th Sep 2009 3:58pm
Imagine what state I'd be in if I hadn't given up though, shudder at the thought.
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Quit Smoking - 9th Sep 2009 10:08pm
Well...been to Dr today and saw the nurse there and i've got patch's and inhaler, i've got a 12wk course on them, so wish me luck everyone! i start Sunday!!
chris.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Quit Smoking - 9th Sep 2009 10:20pm
Good luck, Whats the inhaler for?
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Quit Smoking - 10th Sep 2009 6:26pm
it's a substitute for a cigarette, when you get a really bad craving you can use it instead of a cigarette.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Quit Smoking - 10th Sep 2009 6:35pm
I thought it was patches or inhaler, not both at the same time.
Posted By: SpecialK Re: Quit Smoking - 11th Sep 2009 9:58am
Why start on Sunday? No time like the present & all that. In fact sod it. I'm gunna pack the ale in from Monday. What can the doctor prescribe if I get a craving for a pint? Any ideas?
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Quit Smoking - 11th Sep 2009 10:55am
Good Luck Chris!
It's 8 months tomorrow for me yipee
Posted By: bert1 Re: Quit Smoking - 11th Sep 2009 11:09am
Originally Posted by SpecialK
Why start on Sunday? No time like the present & all that. In fact sod it. I'm gunna pack the ale in from Monday. What can the doctor prescribe if I get a craving for a pint? Any ideas?

I had to pack the ale in, i was throwing punches at Mrs Bert and missing.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Quit Smoking - 25th Sep 2009 3:52pm
Been for my pulminory thingy today. Blowing into tubes, getting an inhaler then blowing again. My wind is better than the nurse who administered the tests so I might not be as bad as I thought, except that she used to smoke too so it isn't a good bench mark. Can't see the Doc for the proper diagnosis until 16th next month, the week after my big reunion blow out. It gets better and better, she always says I have an excuse for being knackered. She's married to a Liverpool lad so knows where we are coming from. happy
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Quit Smoking - 28th Sep 2009 6:26pm
Fingers crossed then
xx
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Quit Smoking - 28th Sep 2009 6:29pm
Not 'alf, Softy. Can be a bit blase at times but when push comes to shove it doesn't pay to sit around thinking about it too much, just got to get on with it hope you get a result. Bugger.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Quit Smoking - 18th Oct 2009 9:15am
Friday I had a spiro thingy (blow test) and the doc told me that my lungs are clear and giving up smoking has finally shown benefit. I am only breathing 4 years out of kilter, like a 71 yr old instead of a 67 yr old but she said otherwise I would be breathing like a 90 year old, so it is a big plus for me. Anyway, just to let peeps know that you do get the benefits eventually. At this rate I might see 68 out.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Quit Smoking - 18th Oct 2009 10:03am
Great news. Keep up the good work wink
Posted By: Wench Re: Quit Smoking - 18th Oct 2009 12:25pm
I've finally seen the light but not because I wanted to - because of a massive health scare this week. Not been that frightened for a long long time and don't want to go through anything like that again so the fags have gone!!

Whole lifestyle change is afoot - I'm dreading my best mate coming back from holiday as I know I'm in for a mahoooooosive lecture but I know it's only because he loves me raftl

I've already had "that look" off Snooze blush

Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Quit Smoking - 18th Oct 2009 1:12pm
Good luck Wench and everyone else thats trying to give up. I gave up just over 5 years ago so I know how bloody difficult it is. It took me several attempts but it is well worth it in the end. Think of £££££££ you will save too!.
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Quit Smoking - 18th Oct 2009 6:01pm
well it's 5wks since i quit now, and i have'nt had one ciggy since!!

Wench,
it was a health scare that did it for me too!i feel better for it, i can walk now and not get out of breath.

good luck anyway.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Quit Smoking - 18th Oct 2009 6:26pm
Good luck wench. Hope youre ok.
Posted By: Mark Re: Quit Smoking - 18th Oct 2009 6:35pm
Originally Posted by Wench
I've finally seen the light but not because I wanted to - because of a massive health scare this week. Not been that frightened for a long long time and don't want to go through anything like that again so the fags have gone!!

Whole lifestyle change is afoot - I'm dreading my best mate coming back from holiday as I know I'm in for a mahoooooosive lecture but I know it's only because he loves me raftl

I've already had "that look" off Snooze blush

I smoked for 20yrs and quit.
Its having the mind over matter.

I used the free service from the chemist over 6 months
and it took away all that will power / cold turkey.
For me it made it easier than i thought.

Good Luck i'm sure you will do it smile

Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Quit Smoking - 19th Oct 2009 8:48am
Good to see others having a go, hoped my missive would give a bit of encouragement. Giving up does provide huge benefits. Good to see everyone backing each other up.

thumbsup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Quit Smoking - 19th Oct 2009 8:54am
I packed in the ciggies in Jan 2005. It does get easier as time goes by. Just stick in there.

Not giving up the ale though. No bleedin' chance. I like my ale. It's my special friend.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Quit Smoking - 19th Oct 2009 9:01am
Spoken like a true gent Paul. Oi loiks moi pint too. Got to go to a Xmas bash though where it is £3.80 a pint, that's a bit ott to me but got to go. Still, with packing in the fags I suppose I can afford a one off.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral