Forums
Posted By: MattLFC Mersey Water Wheel Plans Unveiled - 14th Jun 2007 4:10pm
Originally Posted by BBC News
Proposals for a giant water wheel stretching across the River Mersey are due to be revealed.

The river is one of the best sites for renewable energy created by tides, in the UK, a new study claims.

The report claims the Mersey's unusual shape and wide range of tides can be used to produce environmentally- friendly power.

If the plans get the go-ahead, the wheel turbine could produce enough electricity for half a million homes.

The study was sponsored by Peel Holdings, who operate the Mersey Docks and Harbour Company, and the North West Development Agency.

Professor Peter Guthrie, Professor of Engineering for Sustainable Development at Cambridge University, was part of the research team.

Lol, how would the ferries get about with that big thing going across the river lol. It would mean an end to the legendary ferry cruises.

grin

BBC News Report
Posted By: Mark Re: Mersey Water Wheel Plans Unveiled - 14th Jun 2007 4:28pm
Its seems a great idea, but the disruption to fish?
I can see them protesting and it being scrapped.

Yes the fish filing reports that its too dangerous
to swim up stream.

It would look awesome. (Throw in some fairy or aerial and get you cloths washed).
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Mersey Water Wheel Plans Unveiled - 14th Jun 2007 4:30pm
Theres no fish in the mersey - its too dirty even for seaweed to wanna go near the place lol.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Mersey Water Wheel Plans Unveiled - 14th Jun 2007 5:10pm
I think it's further down the mersey that it'll be placed? like towards where it joins the Manchester Ship Canal. Although, There aint much wave action down that way lol

Tis a good idea, but how much would it cost to build?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Mersey Water Wheel Plans Unveiled - 14th Jun 2007 5:12pm
No idea on the cost as yet.

I cant see it getting the go ahead though. By Ferry cruises, I didnt just mean the river cruises, they also do cruises all the way to Manchester as well down the ship canal.

wink
© Wirral-Wikiwirral