Forums
Posted By: granny Wooden Serving Boards - 6th Jan 2018 9:18pm

Never did like the idea of them.. I can't imagine this applies to only one restaurant.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-42582900
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Wooden Serving Boards - 6th Jan 2018 11:00pm
Remember no bugs = no immune system.

You can push hygiene too far.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Wooden Serving Boards - 7th Jan 2018 1:21am
It was only the inability to clean cracked ones that seemed to be the problem (apart from other issues ). I will still use my wooden spoon to stir things
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wooden Serving Boards - 7th Jan 2018 4:08am
I presume it was their cleaning practices that were at fault not specifically the use of wood.

Wood has enzymes in it which makes it quite resistant to bacteria. You wouldn't think twice about using a wooden spoon to stir pans, wooden utensils to serve salads or wooden skewers for cocktails or kebabs.

@Ex is so right, cellulitis is quite rife in people that generally don't get cuts and scrapes. Nothing like a bit of exposure to keep your immune system well trained and active.
Posted By: granny Re: Wooden Serving Boards - 7th Jan 2018 3:31pm

If you think about it rationally.. Take a restaurant with 40 covers, (and that's quite small) So 40 wooden serving boards, are to be washed and re-used for another 40 people who follow on. I assume there would need to be at least 80-100 serving boards to keep the rolling over.

How are the cleaned ? Are they hand washed, or machine washed ? I dare say there wouldn't be a machine of such a needed size within a small restaurant, so if that is correct , they must be washed by hand.

I don't consider wooden boards to be washed thoroughly by hand in a restaurant with such a high turnover.

Why are wooden work surfaces not allowed in such places ?

A wooden spoon is slightly different, as in you have it in a pot of stew and when you have finished you wash and dry it with possibly enough time for it to dry before the next use .
What if someone coughs on it, and they've got TB ? The can't be cleansed at the same high temperatures as ceramic or pottery plates.

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wooden Serving Boards - 7th Jan 2018 5:37pm
It has been shown that worn wooden chopping boards are superior to worn plastic chopping boards.

The worn plastic boards harbour bacteria on the surface, wooden ones absorb the bacteria where it then dies.

Boards can be disinfected with disinfectant or a microwave. Some types can be dish-washed.

Air droplets of TB are much higher risk than those that land on something then is washed/disinfected.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Wooden Serving Boards - 7th Jan 2018 6:14pm
Years back I recall in Sweden getting a 'Plank Steak'. The clue is in the name. It is basically a steak placed on a plank of wood whereupon both are grilled. The smoke permeates the meat I don't know what type of wood it was but it was very tasty. (Well teh steak was!) A sort of cofferdam of mashed spuds was then piped around the steak and used to contain a sauce poured over it. It came, plank and all, on a large plate containing other veg.

Whether the planks are reused or not I have no idea. I guess the high temperature might sort out any bacterial contamination though.

I did ask the waiter in pidgin 'Swenglish' what sort of wood it was. In response, he retired to the kitchen and returned with a picture of a cow to which he proudly pointed. Evidently, my Swedish was a lot worse than I thought it was!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wooden Serving Boards - 7th Jan 2018 7:18pm
Sounds amazing!
Posted By: venice Re: Wooden Serving Boards - 7th Jan 2018 7:54pm
Im trying hard to visualize a plank on a plate lol !!! Ive brought myself back from the image of a six foot burning plank balanced on four or so plates, with diners spaced out along the length , scoffing off it !
Posted By: snowhite Re: Wooden Serving Boards - 7th Jan 2018 8:01pm
Originally Posted by venice
Im trying hard to visualize a plank on a plate lol !!! Ive brought myself back from the image of a six foot burning plank balanced on four or so plates, with diners spaced out along the length , scoffing off it !
raftl raftl
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wooden Serving Boards - 8th Jan 2018 1:20pm
[Linked Image]

and a few more https://www.google.co.uk/search?cli...b..0.9.638...0i67k1j0i10k1.0.NJP0XM1zAQA
Posted By: granny Re: Wooden Serving Boards - 8th Jan 2018 4:13pm

All that piping of duchess potatoes is to hide the cracks in the block of wood ! I thought you would have understood that, DD. smile

Don't fancy having to scrape up the sauce or mushy peas off the wood either. I suppose if you gobbled the food down first, one could start carving your name in it ?

Much prefer this crisp white shiny, 'clean' plate where you can see what you're eating.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wooden Serving Boards - 8th Jan 2018 6:33pm
Probably the wrong time to tell you that the output from sewage works fertilizes our crops.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Wooden Serving Boards - 8th Jan 2018 9:48pm
Originally Posted by granny

All that piping of duchess potatoes is to hide the cracks in the block of wood ! I thought you would have understood that, DD. smile

Don't fancy having to scrape up the sauce or mushy peas off the wood either. I suppose if you gobbled the food down first, one could start carving your name in it ?

Much prefer this crisp white shiny, 'clean' plate where you can see what you're eating.

[Linked Image]

And you wouldnt get a splinter in your tongue licking the plate clean..good gravy too good to waste
Posted By: granny Re: Wooden Serving Boards - 8th Jan 2018 10:02pm

Indeed Fish laugh

DD are you trying to tell us that those wooden serving boards are a product of trees grown in human waste(sewage)? Disgusting !
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wooden Serving Boards - 9th Jan 2018 1:57am
DD are you trying to tell us that those wooden serving boards are a product of trees grown in human waste(sewage)? Disgusting !

Not the wood, the food! Sewage waste plant solids are used for farm fertilizing.
Posted By: granny Re: Wooden Serving Boards - 9th Jan 2018 10:45am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

Not the wood, the food! Sewage waste plant solids are used for farm fertilizing.

What's the food got to do with wooden serving boards ?
Posted By: eggandchips Re: Wooden Serving Boards - 16th Jan 2018 1:38pm
i always insist on a plate, and have sent steak served on a bit of wood back to the chef, told him i asked for a plate, same with this silly idea of putting chips in a little cup or such, i want my scran altogether on one plate. not some poncy idea from some overpriced ' trendy' 'rustic' or whatever

rant over
Posted By: Madge Re: Wooden Serving Boards - 16th Jan 2018 5:11pm
I too ask for a plate if my food arrives on anything else,
© Wirral-Wikiwirral