Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Yogurt Bargains 45p & 35p - 13th Sep 2017 4:11pm
500g (over a pint) of Low Fat Natural Yogurt at Asda for 45p. Normally have a long sell-by date (over a week), keep refrigerated for 3 days after opening.

Seems like an absolute bargain and fairly healthy, this is the normal price and not an offer.

I don't like "proper" yogurt flavour but add a bit of something to flavour it up and its fine.

SOURCE

Tesco do a four pot flavoured 500g low fat (doesn't say natural) yogurt for 35p but it has twice the amount of sugar in it.

SOURCE
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Yogurt Bargains 45p & 35p - 14th Sep 2017 8:26am
I'm sure you know this, but grams are a measure of weight but pints are a measure of volume, to compare them in this way you need to know the density of the yohurt. Assuming its density is that of water, one, 500 grams is indeed more than a US pint (473 grams) but far less than a UK pint (568 grams)

Without measuring the density you could check its 'over a pint' by pouring it into a pint glass. Knowing Asda, I suspect there might be some 'salesmanship' being employed here!

However, having presumably cleaned up their act after the recent £700,000 food hygiene fine, they will be keen to get their sales up to scratch again and price cuts are the obvious way to do it.

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Yogurt Bargains 45p & 35p - 14th Sep 2017 1:18pm
Originally Posted by Excoriator
I'm sure you know this, but grams are a measure of weight but pints are a measure of volume, to compare them in this way you need to know the density of the yohurt. Assuming its density is that of water, one, 500 grams is indeed more than a US pint (473 grams) but far less than a UK pint (568 grams)

Without measuring the density you could check its 'over a pint' by pouring it into a pint glass. Knowing Asda, I suspect there might be some 'salesmanship' being employed here!

However, having presumably cleaned up their act after the recent £700,000 food hygiene fine, they will be keen to get their sales up to scratch again and price cuts are the obvious way to do it.

I didn't compare them, you did, I only stated the sizes.

I am surprised that yogurt is sold by weight, being a fluid, in my eyes it would be normal protocol to sell by volume but I suppose then there would be a risk that the manufacturer would aerate them.

Humans don't relate to weight very well, hence I gave an idea of the volume that was purchased. I stated the gross volume which I suppose could be misleading and perhaps I should have said either "pint sized" or "about a pint".

As I stated, this wasn't an offer, this is the normal price across all stores, it hasn't been reduced to compensate for the localised fine Asda received.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Yogurt Bargains 45p & 35p - 15th Sep 2017 10:51am
I didn't compare them, you did, I only stated the sizes.

You compared 500 grams to a pint. This is invalid on two counts, the density of yogurt is not stated, and fact that there are two definitions of a pint was also ignored.

It seems pretty likely to me that your 500grams of yogurt would fit easily into an Imperial pint (The UK one) but not into a US pint.

Next time we buy natural yogurt and I can find a suitable container, I will check its density, which raises another matter - the quality of the yougurt. I suspect this might be related to its density, but I have no idea whether dense yougurt is better or worse than lighter yougurt. At any rate, I expect them all to be pretty close to that of water.

Obviously 'low fat' yogurt will be denser as it implies the fat - which is lighter than water - has been removed.
Posted By: assassin Re: Yogurt Bargains 45p & 35p - 15th Sep 2017 2:22pm
Thanks DD I use them in curry so will pick up some smile as you can't tell with some shops that put peanuts in their curry.

As for the size WHO CARES! if it cheap wink
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Yogurt Bargains 45p & 35p - 15th Sep 2017 4:27pm
As for the size WHO CARES! if it cheap

Perhaps you do. If the size isn't right it probably isn't as cheap as you think it is.

I certainly don't care as I don't shop at ASDA.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Yogurt Bargains 45p & 35p - 15th Sep 2017 5:40pm
It's a pot of yogurt Ffs. Do we really need a mathematical debate about it's size ?
Posted By: cools Re: Yogurt Bargains 45p & 35p - 15th Sep 2017 5:58pm
Exactly Dilly , riveting stuff isn't it ha ha..you do make me chuckle..
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Yogurt Bargains 45p & 35p - 15th Sep 2017 8:31pm
Originally Posted by Dilly
It's a pot of yogurt Ffs. Do we really need a mathematical debate about it's size ?

"Arguing with an engineer is a lot like wrestling in mud with a pig, after a couple of hours you realise the pig likes it."
Posted By: Dilly Re: Yogurt Bargains 45p & 35p - 15th Sep 2017 8:34pm
Don't mind a bit of mud wrestling myself smile
Posted By: assassin Re: Yogurt Bargains 45p & 35p - 15th Sep 2017 8:46pm
Breaking news! Ice cream seller sued over 100s n 1000s as man counts only 35 on his ice cream, same man is suing sweets shop selling millions as paper bag can only hold 1.954 raftl
© Wirral-Wikiwirral