Forums
Posted By: ludwigvan Over 60's con. - 7th Mar 2016 3:33pm
Mrs Ludwigvan and I have been to the Refreshment rooms in Rock Ferry on numerous occasions, and today we decided to go for lunch. After perusing the menu we both decided to have battered cod and chips from the over 60's menu,when it arrived it looked more like a fish goujon ( I.e. Small ), Ah well we thought, a sign of the times, cut backs and all that, so we ate the parsimonious offering and have to say it was very tasty. Whereupon a waitress passed carrying a battered whale and set it down in front of a young chap. I therefore accosted a waiter and asked whether over sixties were given smaller portions, he said they were as they had to accommodate the smaller portion into the reduced price. I suggested to him that they were doing nothing to benefit the over sixties and may as well call the over sixties menu the smaller portions menu, he did not disagree. Probably not dishonest but definitely a con.
Posted By: dustymclean Re: Over 60's con. - 7th Mar 2016 3:50pm
The saying "There is no such thing as a free lunch"comes to mind. It is the same in the Barbers (hair dressers)nothing to do on top and not much around the sides unless they do your ears. Reduced price because of less work and no fancy stuff like a quiff or "which side do you part on Sir"?.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Over 60's con. - 7th Mar 2016 4:48pm
Lol. Love your description, Lud.

'Battered whale for the young chap' raftl
Posted By: casper Re: Over 60's con. - 7th Mar 2016 7:48pm
Perhaps they were following NHS guidelines looking after your well being Lud, keep the old cholesterol down, but I rather think you are right, might as well put pay less get less menu.
Posted By: granny Re: Over 60's con. - 8th Mar 2016 9:38am
If you don't mind me asking, what was the difference in price between the finger of fish and the battered whale ?
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Over 60's con. - 8th Mar 2016 11:12am
Hi Granny, the over sixties menu is two small courses for £8.50, the fish and chips on it's own from the main menu is £10.50.
Posted By: missmahjong Re: Over 60's con. - 8th Mar 2016 11:43am
Very funny description to say the least ......On my list to 'GOOGLE ' to-day,as workpeople were 'raving' about the food on Mother's Day.....I never liked the view ,but believe they have put a Hoarding up with a nice 'Sea View Painting on ...now ..
Posted By: granny Re: Over 60's con. - 8th Mar 2016 12:14pm
Originally Posted by ludwigvan
Hi Granny, the over sixties menu is two small courses for £8.50, the fish and chips on it's own from the main menu is £10.50.

Can't call in daylight robbery then, can you ? I think the £10.50 battered whale is the robbery, far too much for one tummy by the sounds of it but it might well have been different fish. Now that is questionable smile
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Over 60's con. - 8th Mar 2016 1:12pm
Remember our kid getting fish and chips in Holyhead. I asked her if she'd got the fish from somebody's goldfish bowl. She wasn't impressed. Do agree that if a discounted price is advertised it should be the same size portion as the usual, otherwise it is misrepresentation isn't it?
Posted By: casper Re: Over 60's con. - 8th Mar 2016 3:48pm
You can get a mini fish supper in the chippy which is a fair description so you know what you are getting, they are enough for us, fish chips and mushies.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Over 60's con. - 8th Mar 2016 8:51pm
To be fair to the Refreshment Rooms I think I would have asked what was the difference between the 'Regular Menu' and the 'Over 60s'?

HOWEVER, I would have assumed that people of a certain age were just getting a discounted price??!!

@Casper Yes, we rarely buy a chippie meal 'each'. Either share or buy a kids meal'each- sufficient enough.
Posted By: goodoldphil Re: Over 60's con. - 8th Mar 2016 11:52pm
Maybe next time you could get a battered whale and a spare plate, cut the whale in half, share the chips and then you can afford an extra pint with the money saved. thumbsup
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Over 60's con. - 11th Mar 2016 4:55pm
Like that Goodoldphil - positive thinking.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Over 60's con. - 14th Mar 2016 2:50pm
I suppose next time I go to the Royal Court and get a concession seat I should expect to be chucked out half way through the performance. I'll keep that in mind.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral