Forums
Posted By: Moonstar It's Pancake Tuesday - 12th Feb 2013 10:30am
Are you ready with your lemons, maple syrup, or whatever you fancy for a heap of pancakes today.
Posted By: Salmon Re: It's Pancake Tuesday - 12th Feb 2013 10:44am
Waste of good syrup in my opinion.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: It's Pancake Tuesday - 12th Feb 2013 10:46am
=====\____________/ My pancake has fallen out of the pan :-(
Posted By: derekdwc Re: It's Pancake Tuesday - 12th Feb 2013 3:33pm
Shrove Tuesday (also known as Pancake Tuesday and Pancake Day) is the day preceding Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent. Shrove Tuesday is determined by Easter; its date changes annually.

The expression "Shrove Tuesday" comes from the word shrive, meaning "confess."[1] Related popular practices are associated with celebrations before the fasting and religious obligations associated with the penitential season of Lent. The term Mardi gras is French for Fat Tuesday, referring to the practice of the last night of eating richer, fatty foods before the ritual fasting of the Lenten season, which begins on Ash Wednesday.
Posted By: Sneezy Re: It's Pancake Tuesday - 12th Feb 2013 4:59pm
Anybody know where pancakes come into it and why ? smile
Posted By: cookie Re: It's Pancake Tuesday - 12th Feb 2013 5:11pm
Isn't it something to do with the using up of foodstuffs (eggs, flour, milk) before Lent starts.
Posted By: Salmon Re: It's Pancake Tuesday - 12th Feb 2013 5:55pm
Originally Posted by Sneezy

Sneezy:Derek explains it in the post prior to yours it is traditionally to use up the food in the house prior to Lent.
Posted By: Sneezy Re: It's Pancake Tuesday - 12th Feb 2013 6:34pm
Originally Posted by Salmon

Sneezy:Derek explains it in the post prior to yours it is traditionally to use up the food in the house prior to Lent.

Yes but why pancakes.....could have made dumplings !! smile
Posted By: Salmon Re: It's Pancake Tuesday - 12th Feb 2013 6:41pm
Originally Posted by Salmon

Yes but why pancakes.....could have made dumplings !! smile

But pancakes have sugar, butter and eggs which used to be forbidden in Lent.
Posted By: Sneezy Re: It's Pancake Tuesday - 12th Feb 2013 6:48pm
So does cake !! smile
Posted By: granny Re: It's Pancake Tuesday - 12th Feb 2013 7:39pm
So does cake !! smile

They didn't eat cakes like we do 2000 years ago , Sneeze,. smile It is fact quite remarkable that so many follow the Christian tradition which are all related to the Christian beliefs and yet most people on this site, would say they are not into any form of religion!
Would they celebrate Hanaka I wonder?

Another arguement ?

Posted By: Salmon Re: It's Pancake Tuesday - 12th Feb 2013 8:18pm
Originally Posted by granny
So does cake !! smile

They didn't eat cakes like we do 2000 years ago , Sneeze,. smile It is fact quite remarkable that so many follow the Christian tradition which are all related to the Christian beliefs and yet most people on this site, would say they are not into any form of religion!

Another arguement ?

Yes it was Marie Antoinette who got us eating cakes! England has been a Christian country for centuries and all these traditions have been handed down and most folk just follow them without a thought for why.A bit like the newly wed housewife who always cut the fish into 2 pieces prior to cooking it. When asked why she said that was the way my mum did it. When they asked her mum why she said it was because the fish was too big for her pan!
Posted By: Sneezy Re: It's Pancake Tuesday - 12th Feb 2013 9:22pm
Originally Posted by granny
So does cake !! smile

Another arguement ?

Or Christmas or Easter ?? think
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: It's Pancake Tuesday - 12th Feb 2013 9:35pm
Mine was yummy
Posted By: granny Re: It's Pancake Tuesday - 12th Feb 2013 10:14pm
As a follow-on to 'pancake day' or 'Shrove Tuesday' what is everybody giving up for Lent?

Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: It's Pancake Tuesday - 13th Feb 2013 7:22am
leaning
Posted By: Mark Re: It's Pancake Tuesday - 13th Feb 2013 8:09am
I think i polished off about 4 of them lol

Pancakes that is lol
Posted By: Salmon Re: It's Pancake Tuesday - 13th Feb 2013 2:05pm
Not particularly for this forum but I have noticed that posts often say posted today when it was posted yesterday. e.g.in this thread Jabber allegedly posted today at 722 and Mark says above that he polished off 4 of them and it says that was today at 809AM. Is the Wiki clock wrong?
Or do I not know what day it is?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral