Forums
Posted By: RUDEBOX Bread Sauce - 14th Dec 2012 11:12pm
I find the idea of Bread...made into a Sauce, quite frankly DISGUSTING!

Chonged up bread, in my opinion.

Discuss:
Posted By: granny Re: Bread Sauce - 15th Dec 2012 12:00am
Must admit, I have never made it, as the appeal never gripped me. Having said that, I have eaten others homemade bread sauce and quite enjoyed it. It has no doubt come down through the ages and has become a tradition, which is probably not the best reason to make it!

Noted that Turkish bread sauce, (similar), has crushed walnuts or hazelnuts in it. That sounds a bit more exciting.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Bread Sauce - 15th Dec 2012 12:07am
Not worth the hassle. Plenty of good home-made gravy and cranberry sauce good enough.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Bread Sauce - 15th Dec 2012 9:51am
OMG you don't know what you are missing!!! We all fight over it in our family so several packets get made at once. It's supposed to be really easy to make from scratch but I've never done it.
smile
Posted By: Fat_Dancer Re: Bread Sauce - 15th Dec 2012 1:17pm
How can anyone not like bread sauce. It's yummy in my fat tummy. grin
Posted By: Morgan2012 Re: Bread Sauce - 15th Dec 2012 1:30pm
I agree you don t know, what your missing mate.My Nan makes great bread sauce and if any is left over she puts a bit of grated cheese in it.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Bread Sauce - 15th Dec 2012 2:01pm
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner
OMG you don't know what you are missing!!! We all fight over it in our family so several packets get made at once. It's supposed to be really easy to make from scratch but I've never done it.
smile

PACKETS ?????
Make yer own it is MUCH better. Nigella version is good. Remember bread sauce is NOT designed to be slimming (but does not seem to have done Nigella any harm wink )

1 day-old loaf unsliced white bread, cut into bits and usually with the crust removed
1 litre/2 pints full-fat milk
1 onion, peeled and quartered
4 cloves
2 fresh bay leaves
1 tsp white peppercorns
2 blades fresh mace or heaped ¼ tsp ground mace
2 tsp salt
30g/1oz butter
2 tbsp double cream, optional
1 fresh nutmeg, for grating

Cut the onion in quarters and stick a clove in each
Put the onion and all the other herby things in a pan with the milk and bring just to the boil. Cover and leave for 30 mins at least. Sieve out the bits from the milk and pour it over the bread than mash it with a spoon. Add the butter and cream just before serving.

Yep, more work but most can be done the day before.
Yummy

Snod
Posted By: Fat_Dancer Re: Bread Sauce - 15th Dec 2012 2:04pm
Originally Posted by Snodvan
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner
smile

PACKETS ?????
Make yer own it is MUCH better. Nigella version is good. Remember bread sauce is NOT designed to be slimming (but does not seem to have done Nigella any harm wink )

1 day-old loaf unsliced white bread, cut into bits and usually with the crust removed
1 litre/2 pints full-fat milk
1 onion, peeled and quartered
4 cloves
2 fresh bay leaves
1 tsp white peppercorns
2 blades fresh mace or heaped ¼ tsp ground mace
2 tsp salt
30g/1oz butter
2 tbsp double cream, optional
1 fresh nutmeg, for grating

Cut the onion in quarters and stick a clove in each
Put the onion and all the other herby things in a pan with the milk and bring just to the boil. Cover and leave for 30 mins at least. Sieve out the bits from the milk and pour it over the bread than mash it with a spoon. Add the butter and cream just before serving.

Yep, more work but most can be done the day before.
Yummy

Snod

Bet that tastes gorgeous, but seems like a lot of hard work. The packets are cheap, quick and easy to make and taste very good. Think I will stick to the packets.
Posted By: Wench Re: Bread Sauce - 15th Dec 2012 3:46pm
I put a clove or two of garlic in mine too Snod - but then I live alone so don't have to worry about garlic breath raftl
Posted By: PLUSONE Re: Bread Sauce - 15th Dec 2012 11:18pm
What does it 'go with'? Bleugh.
Posted By: Fat_Dancer Re: Bread Sauce - 15th Dec 2012 11:32pm
[youtube]HUNBlBsV--k[/youtube]
© Wirral-Wikiwirral