Forums
Posted By: ilovecuba What Chippy - 3rd Jan 2012 11:06am
this chippy used to named Michaels on the corner of saughall road opp tesco, it was a fab chippy years ago. Went there a while ago and thought it was quite poor so never went for a while until new years eve lunch time and the food was awful still with luke warm undercooked chips and flavourless chicken fried rice which had more ham than chicken. Deffo will never go there again. I think the best one around is at top of pasture ave or even better still wallasey village. Anyone else got good or bad which we can note down as its not a cheap meal any more so we should be getting quality for our money.
Posted By: reddragon Re: What Chippy - 3rd Jan 2012 11:42am
the chippy by the bromborough pub not reccomended you order egg fried rice and you get egg fried with a little extra ( and no not the halifax ) but a finger nail everyone was disgusted but me I was laughing my socks off you see it was my ex wifes meal raftl raftl raftl
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: What Chippy - 3rd Jan 2012 11:49am
Hi Cuba, the one on grove rd is crap.

Happy garden in Wallasey village is a must, their foods great and they serve nice chips, always fresh and not rubbery like most chippys these days.

Mill lane chippy is nice but they put too much batter on the chicken pieces used in the sweet and sour chicken dish. (come to think of it it's the only chippy I've ever used that does put batter over the chicken)?
Posted By: mikroc Re: What Chippy - 3rd Jan 2012 12:22pm
Anns chippy on brassey street Birkenhead on the corner great food at a great price been ther 20 years so must be doing something right can also recommend. Choices bar on duke street they also deliver free
Posted By: kimpri Re: What Chippy - 3rd Jan 2012 3:14pm
I'm sure Ann's been in the chippy for more than 20 years
fish and chips from Ann's
1 cod fish £2.20, large chips £1.00 = £3.20p

fish and chips from Choices bar duke st
1 cod fish £5.00,large chips £1.20 = £6.20 what a ripoff?

and there portions are half the size you get from Ann's chippy.
Posted By: kittykat Re: What Chippy - 3rd Jan 2012 3:33pm
Don't ever go to the Parkgate chippy!!! If anyone could see what goes on in the backyard they would never eat the fish from there ever again. The food is substandard and way overpriced yet they always have a queue of tourists out of the door!! They have been living off the previous owners awards for a while!
Posted By: arsenal Re: What Chippy - 3rd Jan 2012 4:35pm
i agree that ann's chippy in brassey street is one of the best.i havent had a liver dinner there for a while but it was lovely.choices used to be very good but now the're just ok
Posted By: sandstorm Re: What Chippy - 3rd Jan 2012 4:39pm
I live down in Buckinghamshire now and they don't know what proper chips are. Every chippy under-cooks them to the point they look aneamic! Sausages are horrible, and they have never heard of a savory! The first thing I do when I come up to the Wirral is go to the chippy for my dinner!
Posted By: cathie Re: What Chippy - 3rd Jan 2012 5:14pm
the chippy on Laird st, on it's own amongst a few closed down shops...looks a bit bombed out but they do THE best sausage and chips...I like my drowned in salt smile
Posted By: hoseman Re: What Chippy - 3rd Jan 2012 5:15pm
Georgios in Claughton Village, every fish cooked fresh in front of you. They got a few round Wirral.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: What Chippy - 3rd Jan 2012 5:49pm
the bright spot chippy proper mingin
Posted By: curzsport Re: What Chippy - 3rd Jan 2012 6:09pm
Baxters chippy by Moreton Cross has my vote followed by the chippy next to the bowling ally on New Brighton front.....

Brian.
Posted By: helenb234 Re: What Chippy - 3rd Jan 2012 6:22pm
Eastern delight on borough road is the nicest chippy on the Wirral
Posted By: sean Re: What Chippy - 3rd Jan 2012 6:41pm
best fish and chips EVER is from the chippy next to the shippons in irby
Posted By: TeamAJ Re: What Chippy - 3rd Jan 2012 6:43pm
Golden sunrise on mount road Wallasey is immense for food but portion sizes have got really poor of late and it's still really popular which means you wait for up to an hour for footage. We tried as an alternative to this one, the one on seaview road at the junction with Queensland in Wallasey and it's beautiful. You stills can't beat the food at the golden sunrise and if you can overcome half portion sizes and 12 chips in a portion you will be fine. Everyone I know uses it and they deliver as far as upton!
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: What Chippy - 3rd Jan 2012 6:56pm
Originally Posted by ilovecuba
this chippy used to named Michaels on the corner of saughall road opp tesco, it was a fab chippy years ago. Went there a while ago and thought it was quite poor so never went for a while until new years eve lunch time and the food was awful still with luke warm undercooked chips and flavourless chicken fried rice which had more ham than chicken. Deffo will never go there again. I think the best one around is at top of pasture ave or even better still wallasey village. Anyone else got good or bad which we can note down as its not a cheap meal any more so we should be getting quality for our money.

That is the nearest chippy to my house. The last time I went I was served by two lazy, uninterested, ill mannered teenage girls. The portions where small and the taste was below average. I have never been back there.
I have however tried all the chippys in that area and the one a bit further towards Moreton Cross called 'Yue Wah' is by far the best of the bunch around that area.
Posted By: torryman Re: What Chippy - 3rd Jan 2012 7:03pm
my favourite 4 chippies.... are The Big Cod? (new one in liscard)....but only to eat out because otherwise you get a tiny oblong plate so the portions are very small...portion to take away £1.40 and not a bad sized portion.

the one next to New Brighton Bowling Alley...

Village Frier in Upton

and if I'm allowed a liverpool one then The Lobster Pot is amazing .

To get back on track my worst chippie is the 2 dragons on Mill Lane....they might be good at the chinese stuff but the chips are always orange musty warm ups....yukk
Posted By: Mosaic Re: What Chippy - 3rd Jan 2012 7:10pm
Originally Posted by ilovecuba
this chippy used to named Michaels on the corner of saughall road opp tesco, it was a fab chippy years ago.

The original 'Michael' relocated to Heswall - think the chippy is called Pisces? Opposite the Peugeot dealer. Still very good.
Posted By: katiechops Re: What Chippy - 3rd Jan 2012 8:29pm
Originally Posted by kittykat
Don't ever go to the Parkgate chippy!!! If anyone could see what goes on in the backyard they would never eat the fish from there ever again. The food is substandard and way overpriced yet they always have a queue of tourists out of the door!! They have been living off the previous owners awards for a while!

Can't agree with this review! Firstly, they don't cook in the backyard, do they? Also I'm not a 'tourist' but can't fault the fish and Chips,really gorgeous, light and crispy batter, tasty fish and lovely chips.
Another great chip shop is Marigolds in West Kirby, again top quality!!
Posted By: Fireblade Re: What Chippy - 3rd Jan 2012 8:39pm
Marigolds Chippy Banks Rd W/Kirby or
Ocean in Oxton Village
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: What Chippy - 3rd Jan 2012 8:46pm
My missus is my best chippy. Fish from the market on Friday, her own batter and soggy peas, with bread from the market as well. Don't know enough B'head chippies to comment though nothing is worse than a piss poor local chippy.
Posted By: kittykat Re: What Chippy - 3rd Jan 2012 8:48pm
No of course they don't cook the fish in the yard but believe me if you saw the fish in the filthy buckets in all weathers you would not eat the fish!!! Only saying what I have seen.
Posted By: DodgyDave Re: What Chippy - 3rd Jan 2012 8:53pm
Orchid on Woodchurch Road by Sainsburys is nice, the best was The Oriental when Julie and Lynn ran it for years on Woodchurch Road by changez, It changed hands for about a year before it closed and became David Pluck
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: What Chippy - 3rd Jan 2012 9:01pm
Originally Posted by katiechops
Originally Posted by kittykat

Can't agree with this review! Firstly, they don't cook in the backyard, do they? Also I'm not a 'tourist' but can't fault the fish and Chips,really gorgeous, light and crispy batter, tasty fish and lovely chips.
Another great chip shop is Marigolds in West Kirby, again top quality!!

When did you last go there?

The place in parkgate is a discrace! Chips that have stones in and that are still raw, crap customer service, gobs to the floor, never go there again, used to be nice until the new owner took it over. Oh, the prices are disgusting too!
Posted By: Edna_ Re: What Chippy - 3rd Jan 2012 9:04pm
Get some good chips at Brenda's.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: What Chippy - 3rd Jan 2012 10:10pm
www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthre...the_best_chippy_in_walla.html#Post426447
Posted By: sugarmatrix Re: What Chippy - 4th Jan 2012 6:43am
tin fook, rake lane, opposite the saddle, beautiful chips :-)
Posted By: dannyp13 Re: What Chippy - 30th Mar 2012 8:01am
katiechops.... have to really disagree with marigolds choice. was highly recommended we try there and we did. we only went once....enough said

if i fancy a fish and chip supper then i will drive past 3 chippies to get to

georgios on borough road near tranmere

quite expensive but all freshly cooked to order and delicious.

i also know of a chippy in whitby....the magpie cafe.... now that really is seriously good !

dan
Posted By: mostynwilliams Re: What Chippy - 28th Apr 2012 10:23am
Your jealous and probably own a chippy yourself that's not doing as much business. Parkgate chippy is one of the best around the area their customers love it just see the queues......and there not all tourists a lot are locals
© Wirral-Wikiwirral