Forums
Posted By: karenjon corned beef hash - 21st Jul 2011 3:31pm
ha son fancied corned beef hash for tea not had it in ages he said so off to sainsburys upton( shock now £2 45 a tin)anyway spuds done and mashed onions ready so opened tin yuk brown and smelly so no corned beef hash or back to shops .
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: corned beef hash - 21st Jul 2011 3:44pm
Its most strange that the price of corned beef is high. During WW2 its was used as a cheap "top-up" to your ration vouchers when the butcher was short of other meat.

Made correctly it preserves quite well due to being salted and jellied, as well as being bulked up by cheap products.

Even after the mad-cow episode, when the price of beef dropped enormously, corned beef held its price in comparison.

Its high price is of no concern to me, the government review the two-year kill rule for cows (brought in to hide BSE - under two years they don't usually show the symptoms). In recent years the government have looked at lifting this rule, but MAFF interject and say that it might not be a good idea. They are hiding BSE and obviously still think there is a significant risk.

Hence - I don't eat beef.
Posted By: karenjon Re: corned beef hash - 21st Jul 2011 3:48pm
had best before 09/2015
Posted By: bert1 Re: corned beef hash - 21st Jul 2011 3:54pm
Wasn't Argentinian was it, they tried to kill us all in the 60s, infected with Typhoid i think it was. Remember my dad telling me when he served in Burma during the war, they could open a tin of Bully Beef and pour it out.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: corned beef hash - 21st Jul 2011 4:00pm
Tin must have a hole in it somewhere, its cooking in the sealed can and hence fully sterilised.

Take it to the shop and accept at least £10 compensation - don't let them take it off you without the compo - they will back down if you're leaving with it, don't say what you intend to do with it, but make it clear that you are going to do something.

Mate of mine who worked for a manufacturer used to go to people's houses same day (sometimes 200 miles away) when they were an upset customer. The objective was to take the item and if necessary he would be extremely generous.
Posted By: karenjon Re: corned beef hash - 21st Jul 2011 4:11pm
they offered me my money back if i still have receipt
Posted By: bert1 Re: corned beef hash - 21st Jul 2011 4:20pm
Has that poor lad had anything to eat yet, could be a report going in to social services right now. wink
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: corned beef hash - 21st Jul 2011 4:21pm
Tell them that this could be public safety problem and should you go elsewhere to seek advice, which would be more convenient to you. To go back to the shop would incur financial loss due to my time and travel, apart from the inconvenience of having a meal ruined by missing the main ingredient.
Posted By: karenjon Re: corned beef hash - 21st Jul 2011 4:28pm
yes meal saved by local co op will be taking empty tin back next week and will have good moan will let you know how i got on
Posted By: Anonymous Re: corned beef hash - 21st Jul 2011 4:48pm
Originally Posted by karenjon
will let you know how i got on

Yes, cos we are a right bunch of nosey sods!
Posted By: consho Re: corned beef hash - 21st Jul 2011 5:01pm
not Sainsburys in upton again surely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: corned beef hash - 21st Jul 2011 5:02pm
Oh no! I would of been guttererd, love corned beef hash, lots of cheese on top too tease
Posted By: karenjon Re: corned beef hash - 21st Jul 2011 5:24pm
yes sorry upton again and yes lots of cheese on top think i'll have some myself years since i made or had this for tea
Posted By: Capt_America Re: corned beef hash - 21st Jul 2011 6:11pm
Buy your corned beef from Lidl or Asda's own brand. Cheap, cheerful, and tasty in your CB hash.
Posted By: Tatey Re: corned beef hash - 21st Jul 2011 6:31pm
I put at least two chopped chillies in mine, just gives it that bite!
Posted By: yewgarth Re: corned beef hash - 21st Jul 2011 7:54pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Its most strange that the price of corned beef is high. During WW2 its was used as a cheap "top-up" to your ration vouchers when the butcher was short of other meat.

Made correctly it preserves quite well due to being salted and jellied, as well as being bulked up by cheap products.

Even after the mad-cow episode, when the price of beef dropped enormously, corned beef held its price in comparison.

Its high price is of no concern to me, the government review the two-year kill rule for cows (brought in to hide BSE - under two years they don't usually show the symptoms). In recent years the government have looked at lifting this rule, but MAFF interject and say that it might not be a good idea. They are hiding BSE and obviously still think there is a significant risk.

Hence - I don't eat beef.

your knowledge knows no end sherlock
© Wirral-Wikiwirral