Forums
Posted By: bobi1 Experimental Cooking-Messing About - 20th May 2010 12:15am
Does anyone try new ideas in the kitchen? (I mean food ok) Heston Blumenthal might be a bit complex for some but some of his ideas might just work if you gave them a try. I am forever meddling in the kitchen, due to my previous career as a lab tech. Slow cooking, pressure cooking, water bath cooking with vacuum packed food, it all works. Anyone prepared to give it a go, or has had any successes?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Experimental Cooking-Messing About - 20th May 2010 4:58am
I was just about to write a book long reply when i read(I mean food ok), that rules me out.
Posted By: bobi1 Re: Experimental Cooking-Messing About - 30th May 2010 1:59am
I've got me slow cooker out tonight and I've drowned some chicken breasts in extra virgin olive oil, garlic and oregano with plenty of s and p. Cooker is on timer and will be on low for 5 hours by which time I'm hoping the chicken will be meltingly tender so I can mix it with either pasta or new potatoes. I've never used olive oil in such quantities before, it's usually a quick glug for frying stuff but the Spanish, Italians and Greeks use it far more liberally so I'm having a go too. I only hope I don't stink the house out crazy
Posted By: rocketqueen Re: Experimental Cooking-Messing About - 13th Dec 2010 1:23pm
bobi1, i used to experiment with food before i started work and have now finally got back into it... i prefer to make everything from scratch, pestle and mortar is good for this....
i use my slow cooker for beef and then make into a pie, hubby loves it as it is so tender, how did ur chicken wish lashings of olive oil go x
Posted By: bri445 Re: Experimental Cooking-Messing About - 13th Dec 2010 4:30pm
with the rubber gloves!
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Experimental Cooking-Messing About - 13th Dec 2010 5:13pm
I just love to mess around in the kitchen trying out what are initially considered strange food combinations or ways of cooking. Over many years I have never had anyone complain so I must be getting it right.

Just a couple of hours ago I was email-discussing food & recipes with a buddy in Bolton and I sent him the following (cut & paste from my Email)

"" I dunno what it is called but it is an old countryside/ gypsy sort of meal. My Nan used to make it – but that was the hard way without a microwave

Basically it is a suet pastry ie dumpling mix is how I would start, rolled into a sheet. One half you spread with stewed steak (yes, out of a tin if you must – keep the gravy separate). The other half you layer with sliced apples + raisins – or indeed any fruity mix.

Roll the pastry sheet so that you get a sort of Swiss Roll with meat in one end (dinner) and fruit (pud) in the other. Serve the dinner end with the heated gravy and the other with cream or custard. Deal with the overlap in the middle how you wish.

I would wrap the roll in greaseproof paper then clingfilm and would microwave it for “not very long” ie until the cling film had expanded to show steam being produced for a few mins. Classically you wrap it in muslin and steam it for about 2 hours or so. Bog off for that.""

Anyone know the name of this all-in-one dish. Bound to have one

Snod
Posted By: bert1 Re: Experimental Cooking-Messing About - 13th Dec 2010 6:06pm
I thought about experimental cooking, then i thought, nah, let the wife do it.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral