Forums
Posted By: RUDEBOX 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 9:46pm
How can they get away with selling this muck??

Plus1 went to his mums and returned with a mini hamper of items she wont eat before 'best before'. Fair do's!
Just had a 'steak and onion slice' -i cut the 'lid off- damage limitation! but it was tasteless and had a scraping of filling. It was gross!!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 9:50pm
Anybody ever found a pie/ pasty that actually has a substantial filling?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 9:52pm
They get away with it because its safe to eat, and people must buy them. Either some people like it, or you had a bad batch or summit. They should have a consumer care number on it somewhere for you to complain and possibly get your money back (if you had a reciept of course, but who keeps food reciepts anyway), unless its a really crappy make lol.
Posted By: starakita Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 9:58pm
ginsters pasties are nice, ive had pies were you cut into them the gravy comes out and theres only acouple of bits of meat and veg
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 9:59pm
I also think-in hindsight- that the label would state % of filling??
Gawd it was evil! Horrid! *coughAsdacough*
Posted By: Wench Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 10:00pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Anybody ever found a pie/ pasty that actually has a substantial filling?

Only 3 - one was in Malta, the others are the chicken and ham pies from Griffiths' in New Ferry and if I make my own. I used to have a thing for Ginsters but not had one for years.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 10:02pm
I am surprised, not had any problems with Asda brand-name food even the smart-price stuff. Perhaps its just the beef products (which I don't eat).
Posted By: MattLFC Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 10:07pm
I reguarly buy the big Tesco Value 3-pack Minced Beef and Onion, and Chicken and Vegetable pies, both about £1 (price fluctuates) and they are excellent imho, filling-wise, and very big. Im pretty sure the Asda SP ones are the same. But these are from the fridge section.

Where these pies the 4-pack ones from the freezer section? If so, they are awful in the Tesco Value variety, no filling at all.

I buy a lot of Tesco Value and Asda SP stuff, and find most of it is okay, some is really good. But there are some really awful products out there, that you have to watch out, the frozen pies imo, are one of them.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 10:07pm
When I read 'chiller section' I was thinking literature...so pies and pasties didn't momentarily make sense.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 10:09pm
My dad in law used to get pies from a woman who sell them around the local pubs.
Now, these WERE pies! You'd cut a slice and it would be full of filling-literally, 'floor to ceiling' of the pastry case. I wish i knew who she was? frown now, when i ocassionally fancy a pie am stuck with a pastry envelope thats that cavernous and empty you could do a U.E in it!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 10:11pm
There was a guy who used to come my old place of work, in a mobile pie van... now they were good pies as well, and the pricing was cheaper than the crap you buy in the likes of the Co-op etc (about 80p iirc), and they were always warm and fresh.

Never bought pies like them from any supermarket, under any brand name.

frown
Posted By: starakita Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 10:14pm
ive had pies from netto and lidl they were ok but if you go to cornwall theres nothing like a real hcornish pasty.
Posted By: oscarpops Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 10:17pm
the picture on the wrapper always makes the pie/pasty look nice then when you bite into it where's the filling such a dissapointment
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 10:18pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC
I reguarly buy the big Tesco Value 3-pack Minced Beef and Onion, and Chicken and Vegetable pies, both about £1 (price fluctuates) and they are excellent imho, filling-wise, and very big. Im pretty sure the Asda SP ones are the same. But these are from the fridge section.

Where these pies the 4-pack ones from the freezer section? If so, they are awful in the Tesco Value variety, no filling at all.

I buy a lot of Tesco Value and Asda SP stuff, and find most of it is okay, some is really good. But there are some really awful products out there, that you have to watch out, the frozen pies imo, are one of them.
these cavernous 'goodies' are described as ASDA 2 MINCED STEAK + ONION SLICES. 330g. Serves 2.
Maybe am just fussy. And dis-appreciative raftl
Btw-display date 19.5
Use by 20.5
Perhaps the 'british beef' (proudly stamped on packaging) has shrivelled up!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 10:19pm
Lol, that just reminded me of the ald Mike Reid joke...

"Oi waiter, theres a worm in this pie!!"
"Thats not a worm, thats fat"
"It's entitled to be, it's eaten all the fackin meat"
Posted By: MattLFC Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 10:22pm

these cavernous 'goodies' are described as ASDA 2 MINCED STEAK + ONION SLICES. 330g. Serves 2.
Btw-display date 19.5
Use by 20.5

oooooo, never had any of the supermarket slices... but got loads of the Iceland ones in, they are mintage, massive and tonnes of tasty filling in them!! Thik minced beef and onion, and cheese an onion, they were selling 4 for 59p in cool trader last year (aug 2010 expiry, £2 iceland price on the box, selling them cheap cos iceland have stopped doing the 4 packs) so I got tonnes of boxes of them.

Next time, tell John to inform his mum to shop at Iceland lol.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 10:23pm
Originally Posted by starakita
ive had pies from netto
the cheese and onion slices are MUCH better served at room temp!
Posted By: starakita Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 10:23pm
lidl do a frozen steak and kidney pie which is nice and its full when you cut into it it dosent go flat it tastes nice too.they also do chicken and ham.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 10:31pm

Btw-display date 19.5
Use by 20.5

oooooo, never had any of the supermarket slices... but got loads of the Iceland ones in, they are mintage, massive and tonnes of tasty filling in them!! Thik minced beef and onion, and cheese an onion, they were selling 4 for 59p in cool trader last year (aug 2010 expiry, £2 iceland price on the box, selling them cheap cos iceland have stopped doing the 4 packs) so I got tonnes of boxes of them.

Next time, tell John to inform his mum to shop at Iceland lol.
with ya there matt! raftl we too struck gold with them cheapo slices at cooltrader! raftl and stocked up! Altho, i didnt know how/ why they were able to sell so cheap?! Thanks.
Iceland- best for frozen pie. £2.50 for a 'Family Steak' and its brimming! laugh
Posted By: MattLFC Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 10:34pm
Haha glad im not alone in my insanse stocking of them, they were the bargain of the year!! I don't know for certain thats why they were cheap, but ive never seen the 4-pack boxes in any Iceland ever since, though they do the 2-pack boxes, so I assume thats why.

Thought they would be crap when I first bought em, but they turned out top notch smile
Posted By: oscarpops Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 10:35pm
the best frozen pies i had were from farmfoods deepfill pies they had a decent filling in them
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 10:36pm
After Watchin some Program on tv, sick Am fussy what pies i eat. None of the cheep sh!t for me. wink
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 10:37pm
Originally Posted by Snooze
When I read 'chiller section' I was thinking literature...so pies and pasties didn't momentarily make sense.
apologies for response delay! I too busy Pmsl raftl . raftl
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 10:49pm
Originally Posted by _jase_
After Watchin some Program on tv, sick Am fussy what pies i eat. None of the cheep sh!t for me. wink
plusone once found a eyelid+ lashes in his steak + kidney! 'palepak' wink -never bought owt from them since!
Posted By: Wench Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 10:54pm
Eeeeugh Rude!!! An eyelid!?!?! That's just wrong sick It's precisely this kind of thing that stops me from eating pretty much anything that I've not cooked from scratch yes
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 10:55pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC/
but ive never seen the 4-pack boxes in any Iceland ever since, though they do the 2-pack boxes, so I assume thats why.

:
yup, i noticed! Iceland do two for a quid-which u used to be able to get FOUR for same price! So naturally, i boycotted them. Very exciting-the cooltrader find, at the time! Lol.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 11:05pm
Originally Posted by Wench
Eeeeugh Rude!!! An eyelid!?!?! That's just wrong sick It's precisely this kind of thing that stops me from eating pretty much anything that I've not cooked from scratch yes
sorry! Gross innit? Wish i had the patience and commitment to bake from scratch! frown
Even now-must be hmmm 20 years- i still get flashbacks of the 'exhibit' on a saucer every time i see the manufacturer label!
Posted By: Wench Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 11:08pm
Nice - you made me sick in my mouth sick If you want a pie, let me know what kind, supply filling and I'll gladly oblige wink
Posted By: MattLFC Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 11:08pm
An eyelid, you mean eyelashes? An eyelid is just too extreme, how the hell does that happen hahahaha!!! Thats gross, was it hard and brittle, did he eat it?
Posted By: MrPhil Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 11:18pm
clayton park pie are the dogs, some garages sell them. Full filling and tasty, Steak and Pepper Pie = Yum.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: 'chiller section' pies and pasties - 19th May 2010 11:25pm
An eyelid, you mean eyelashes? An eyelid is just too extreme, how the hell does that happen hahahaha!!! Thats gross, was it hard and brittle, did he eat it?
honest to God, it was an eyelid with lashes on it!! Back in the day, when he lived at 'home' with mum and dad.
If i recall correctly it was kept on a saucer to show visiting family. Lol. I was all for sending it back with a complaint letter and he was 'nah, our sue hasnt saw it yet!'. Lol. This must have been around '87, '88. It was gross!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral